Does Amsoil equal better mpg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my story. My truck is a working truck and I put 70000 miles a year on it. One day I get this cold start rattle and diesel sound. I take it to the dealership and they have it for nearly 2 months!

Video of noisy truck

So during that time it was painful with money loss. I vowed tp do things differently and looked into various oils I came upon Amsoil 5W30 Signature Series and Valvoline Modern. I got the truck back from the dealer and had Amsoil placed in it. My friend with the same truck put Valvoline Modern into his.

I was surprised the trip computer told me I was getting 18.5 mpg whereas in the past this same computer said I got 16. My buddy said he was getting 19+.

So I guess my question is what do you think is going on here? Inaccurate trip computer? Real gas savings? Just wondering.

BTW I did my homework looking at various Blackstone labs tests posted to here and other forums. Everyone seems to agree Amsoil Signature is a premium oil.

Keep in mind this is a working truck. That said I have no idea if better lubrication will prevent future problems but I thought I might give it a try...

Originally Posted by Navi
I was surprised the trip computer told me I was getting 18.5 mpg whereas in the past this same computer said I got 16. My buddy said he was getting 19+.

So I guess my question is what do you think is going on here? Inaccurate trip computer? Real gas savings? Just wondering.

Whatever it is, it's not the oil.

May be better MPG due to the repairs. I doubt that the oil could make that much difference in fuel mileage unless you were running 50 weight before.

His truck with Valvoline is a year newer and did not have any repairs. Im going to run an analysis on the Amsoil on next change and then run the Valvoline out of curiosity.

There are a few threads on here where they site mpg gains with Amsoil like this one.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1219832/Re:_Amsoil_and_MPG_increase_(I

I know my truck right from the dealer was getting 15-16 mpg. I dont have the ability or time to measure mpg any other way but the computer. I did google it and it said in various threads the error is like in the tenths.

Im going to keep diving further into this as the increase in mpg saves me 1700+ per year.

The Valvoline Modern is like 33 dollars for 5 quarts and states its specifically designed for engines like mine...i.e. ecoboost. Those engines seem to have the cold start rattle curse where the chain and cams need replacement. I dont know how its formulated, but for the extra cost it has to be different from the usual Mobil 1 or the usual Valvoline full synthetic....

Im no expert and so just brainstorming in that regard.

Here is the Valvoline Modern VOA btw.

[Linked Image]

Here is an Amsoil VOA I found in another thread. Like I said I will do a virgin oil analysis and used oil analysis in the future.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Navi
Here is the Valvoline Modern VOA btw.

I wonder what's in their "secret sauce"

...........that looks as anemic as all get-out

I'd suggest stopping by your local big fleet of gas engine vehicles.
Folks like UPS (they have a lot of GM 6 liter package vans now), the Post Office, taxi cabs, etc.
Because if Amsoil gives 2.5 more mpg, surely they'd be running it and saving millions of $$$.

You know about lspi? Stick with Amsoil SS and maybe a short interval like 5k miles from here on out. Amsoil is made to combat lspi, that high moly low calcium formula is exactly what you want.

I'm not sure that is current amsoil, I'd look into it, there should be a little less calcium then that. But look for sn+ oil and high moly which is a lspi quencher makes that oil even better. Only a few have high moly and low calcium like amsoil. It is an expensive piece of equipment, don't mess a round. A couple other to look into is qsud and truck and gas, I don't know which ones are sn+, look into it. SN+ plus high moly is what you want end of story. Noth just one or the other, both- sn+ and high moly well over 100ppm imo. I like 250ppm even better.

Amsoil SS on a 5k oci!?!? Kinda a waste maybe. Surely it should go further than that especially at the cost they sell it for. Are there any alternatives for such a short duration?? ...€

The initial change will be at 5000 miles and then an analysis will be run to see what the experts believe is the optimal interval then I will make an adjustment depending on what they say. Keep in mind if they say something really high like 12000 that will give me pause and I will think about it.

I will go the more scientific approach with the analysis and go from there.

Im going to really dig into this analyzing both the VOA and the UOA. Im also going to do the same with Valvoline. I will make adjustments and decisions as we go along.

BTW here is the trip computer I speak of...

[Linked Image]

what's the deal with all this amsoil discussions lately? is amsoil didn't meet the Q2 sales objectives or what?

Originally Posted by Marco620
Amsoil SS on a 5k oci!?!? Kinda a waste maybe. Surely it should go further than that especially at the cost they sell it for. Are there any alternatives for such a short duration?? ...€

um 5k miles oci in a di turbo that sounds like that. Not only amsoil, but any oil imo. Application dictates the oci, not the oil.

Originally Posted by parshisa
what's the deal with all this amsoil discussions lately? is amsoil didn't meet the Q2 sales objectives or what?

What oil is built better then that specifically for a di turbo that sounds like that? You seam hung up on brand name, but it is the formula that may help out, low calcium for lspi protection and high moly for lspi quench. Can you name a better formula for di turbo already showing signs of knock?

Originally Posted by burla
Originally Posted by parshisa

What oil is built better then that specifically for a di turbo that sounds like that? You seam hung up on brand name, but it is the formula that may help out, low calcium for lspi protection and high moly for lspi quench. Can you name a better formula for di turbo already showing signs of knock?

oh my, here we go again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back