How many people are running oil filters for multiple intervals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll run either Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 oil filters for 2 OCI's. This can be 10,000-16,000 miles of total use. All my vehicles are bought new and well maintained from new so there is no "mysterious" past maintenance history. The two older vehicles the oil filters are a major pain to access. With the new vehicle the oil filter is fairly easy to access but it makes a royal mess when it's changed. I've been buying Mobil 1 oil and the Mobil1 oil filter during their rebates. The Mobil 1 oil filters only costs $5 with the rebate if I purchase it from Walmart with the Mobil 1 oil. Walmart is the least expensive for both. As previously mentioned there is oil left in the engine that doesn't get drained out so the little bit of oil left in the filter is adding minuscule old oil to the new oil.

Whimsey

I've been running oil filters for 2 changes for quite a while. Honda presently calls for it in the manual. Historically, other makes have called for it at times. Browse the Old Car Manuals website. It's a fairly common practice. I run 2x ~10,000 miles on FRAM TG or EG. Have never tried an Ultra. Don't really see the need unless I wanted to do something like 2x~15,000 miles.

I do, and the bike actually specs an every other OC FCI. It takes a lot to clog a filter.

Originally Posted by cool_breeze
30k on a single can style filter sounds very odd. Is this a new thing?
BTW doublehaul, why such a thick oil in a new toyota engine when they keep speccing lower viscosities?

The make allowances in the owners manual for extended highway driving which i certainly do. My Tacomas normal RPM on the interstate is about 3300-3500 RPMs for miles on end. 4Runner same same except it doesn't see the high RPMs.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
My Tacomas normal RPM on the interstate is about 3300-3500 RPMs for miles on end.

That seems high. My Tacoma revs around 2000 RPM on the highway doing 60~65 MPH.

I have a Toyota oem filter on the 05 Matrix that I think I'll run for 10k miles. The same filter is spec'd for 10k on the newer cars so it should have no problem handling that. I have PUP 5w20 in there now. But because of the age of the car, miles, fuel dilution possible, etc I'll prob run the oil anywhere from 5-7.5k miles.

I've run a Fram TG for 15k miles with no issues. I come from several Hondas prior to this where the manufacturer recommended double stinting filters.

Last edited:
I have run Mobil 1, Fram Ultra, and RP for 2x runs but not over 12k …
Something like PF63 = one OCI

My '81 Mazda (listed below) usually went 3 oil changes, about 18,000 miles, per filter change, using basic filters. In its 600k miles, the engine never showed had any problems due to wear of oily metal parts. Nobody has yet explained how I would've been better off changing oil and filter every 3k, or using expensive filters.

The Toyota filter that went ~17.5k (2 oil changes) in my Prius came out looking like new, aside from a few tiny carbon particles. The Chinese Fram Tough Guard now in the car now has about 21k. At around 25k, I'll replace and inspect it.

The filters for my vehicles are very small so I really wonder how much oil gets left in by leaving the filter on twice. For example PH3387a and PH3614. Now if I had a bigger filter I might be more concerned.

I did it the first time I tried to change oil on the Camry. was in for 15 k . Didn't look any worse than a regular filter with only 10K. If i use the little plastic drainer widget, I can drain the cartridge without R+R'ing it The $ 3.50 OEM filters don't break the bank , but it is a PITN job
grin2.gif

2X 10K OCIs on the xB in my sig, using M1 EP 5W30, and 3X 7500 OCIs on the MGM 4.6 2V in my sig, using Magnatec 5W20. The biggest thing with the Ultras, is watch out for rust or road debris damage on the Sure-Grip dome-they will rust quick if bare metal is exposed.

I would rather run a cheaper filter and change it everytime than leave a filter in for multiple changes unless I could drain out the old oil.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I'm just about to 50,000 miles on a Fram tough guard.

Pictures in a few weeks.
That should be interesting. I should have about half that in a few months when I replace my Tough Guard cartridge. I don't expect to find anything worthy of pictures.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
It seems like there are a lot of people running Fram ultras for multiple intervals, just curious who are and what filter your using? I've always changed the filter at every oil change but thought about switching to a better filter and running it twice.

I don't care if it's a FRAM ULTRA, M1, K&N, etc., it will ONLY run one OCI on my engine. I will NEVER use an oil filter for multiple runs on my engine!
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by billt460
Oil filters are cheap and easy to change. I can't see the sense of not changing it out with every oil change. Why contaminate a new oil change with dirty oil contained in the old filter? That's like going number 2 and not wiping.

+1. I just don't get it either. Oil filters are not expensive, engines are.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by billt460
Oil filters are cheap and easy to change. I can't see the sense of not changing it out with every oil change. Why contaminate a new oil change with dirty oil contained in the old filter?

Sure. Except that there is ALWAYS a quantity of oil left in the engine. Yes, the filter holds some, but the engine holds more.

That depends on the filter and oil pan capacity eg some engines hold 4 qts of oil and use the Wix 51333 which holds almost a full qt of oil, that is 25%, even the stock Mann hold 3/4 of a qt. so in some cases no there is not as much in the engine. I use a filter one OCI and toss it.

You have to be careful with engines that use big OE filters as they are not necessarily there for extra filtration but in some cases extra oil capacity because of space limitations of the sump. Very small filters found in some engines eg Infiniti VQ engines may not have the capacity to go much more than one OCI depending on the internal cleanliness of the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back