Question on Brake Fluid in F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of the 2015 F150 in my signature. Time to do front pads (I like in very hilly area). I have a ProStop rotor and pad kit. I like to bleed the calipers at the time of pad/rotor change. I have some ATE Type 200 Dot 4 fluid left over from my former BMW. Any issues using thin in the F150? It is appropriately sealed and not contaminated by moisture.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Speaking of the 2015 F150 in my signature. Time to do front pads (I like in very hilly area). I have a ProStop rotor and pad kit. I like to bleed the calipers at the time of pad/rotor change. I have some ATE Type 200 Dot 4 fluid left over from my former BMW. Any issues using thin in the F150? It is appropriately sealed and not contaminated by moisture.

If that fluid is more than a few months old I'd ditch it. Once open a brake fluid container must be used in very very short time.

ATE Typ 200 is not a low-viscosity DOT 4. Viscosity-wise it is not very different than DOT3.

https://wiki.anton-paar.com/en/automotive-brake-fluids/

TYP200 visc. - Viscosity, kinematic : 17 - 18 mm2/s (20 °C)
Method: FMVSS 116

ATE DOT 3 visc - Viscosity
Viscosity, kinematic : 14,5 - 17 mm2/s (20 °C)
Method: FMVSS 116

now for comparison DOT4 LV (low viscosity):
Viscosity, kinematic : ca. 12,3 mm2/s (20 °C)
Method: DIN 51562

From the manufacturer of ATE brake fluids (Clariant Chemicals):
https://www.clariant.com/en/Solutions/Products/2013/12/09/18/29/Safebrake-10-M#
in the .pdf you'll see the low-temp viscosities for the products and the limits mandated by DOT.

The ATE 200 will be fine
smile.gif

The good thing about ATE is that they use metal cans, so the brake fluid has a longer shelf life
happy2.gif

The most important thing about brake fluid is that you change it regularly. What brand you use matters much less

"The most important thing about brake fluid is that you change it regularly. What brand you use matters much less"

I guess I missed this in the last 20'ish years. When did they start flushing brake fluid??? Because I've never done it and never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back