Hagerty Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will probably be getting Hagerty Insurance for my Vette, unless my shopping around brings me to another company I think is better, but so far I like what I've learned about Hagerty. I've read about all of the good stuff, but I'd like to hear about the bad aspects of their coverage. I did an online quote with a guaranteed value and it was only $563 a year, which to me seems like a fairly low premium. To me the description of their driving restrictions seem vague, as in a lot is left to interpretation. That's not a good thing when it comes to insurance as the insurance company is usually the deciding factor on the exact meaning of a particular restriction. I would like to hear from those of you who have their insurance and if you've had any bad experiences with them, or if you chose to use a different company and why.

I have them and its low because you are not supposed to daily drive it, drive to work, etc... that and you have to have another car as your primary.

I drive maybe 100 miles a year if that. So dollar to mile ratio its awful. But most other insurance companies will not insure other than liability. Let alone the pain of having to call them and get someone with more power to be able to add a car older than 1981 as their pull down options only go that far back if even that far.

Is this primarily for classic vehicles?

Out of curiosity, I did a quote for my Charger (which is not a classic obviously), pleasure use only, 2k miles a year, and the quote came out higher than what I'm currently paying with LM.

I have them, no complaints. I had my MG with Allstate previously since my daily driver was through them. In hindsight, Allstate was costing me a fortune and probably would have totaled it if it even got a minor fender bender, even though all the body parts (even a new unibody) are still available. When the ex-wife and I were combining insurance, her agent was also the Hagerty agent and got me turned on to them instead. I thought there was some mistake since the premium was considerably less than what Allstate was charging. I'm pretty sure I've seen my agent's 1967 Jaguar E-Type parked at his office on occasion for "road testing" purposes
whistle.gif

I had Hagerty coverage for two years on an Alfa Romeo, but changed to Grundy Worldwide in Horsham, PA. Coverage was comparable but premiums and customer service was better. As stated, these plans are for very limited usage of your classic vehicle. The advantage with these specialty companies is that you can get a stated valuation coverage amount for total loss, compared to the peanuts a mainstream insurer would be prepared to pay.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
I had Hagerty coverage for two years on an Alfa Romeo, but changed to Grundy Worldwide in Horsham, PA. Coverage was comparable but premiums and customer service was better. As stated, these plans are for very limited usage of your classic vehicle. The advantage with these specialty companies is that you can get a stated valuation coverage amount for total loss, compared to the peanuts a mainstream insurer would be prepared to pay.

Grundy insures late model cars with no mileage limits...you can even take it to work occasionally!!!

How Can I Use My Car?
Grundy wants you to enjoy your car, not keep track of mileage like some programs with limitations. Therefore, we give you unlimited miles for pleasure driving and in collector car-oriented activities. It is even OK if occasionally you drive your collector car to work to show it off to friends. However, your collector car must not be used as a daily driver. We require you and all licensed drivers in your household to have a modern car for everyday use.

When you have your car at home, it must be kept in an enclosed, secure garage when not in use. If you are away from home on extended outings your car is fully protected if you must park it outside, for example in a hotel parking lot. Grundy coverage includes Trip Interruption that reimburses you for hotel and repair costs in the event of a breakdown, and we also reimburse you for towing and labor charges up to $250. You can count on Grundy as you cruise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by grampi
To me the description of their driving restrictions seem vague, as in a lot is left to interpretation.

Collector cars are the hobby of rich guys. Congrats, you're in the club now. Rich guys get the privilege of legal vagueness.

A pretty good defense is that you have a daily driver that's also insured.

Some policies let you drive 3000 miles a year.

Read the paper.

Their rates are fair as are their limitations and they are very responsive, the magazine, etc. are good. I recommend them.

I use them for all the road vehicles in my sig except for the Rovers as Hagerty does not allow any off road usage at all. I have tried lobbying them to allow reasonable or limited off road use tied to an event i.e. Land Rover rallies, antique Jeep meets etc., not mudding or rock crawling, but no luck so far.

Originally Posted by raaizin
NormanBuntz said:
However, your collector car must not be used as a daily driver.

This is similar vague wording that Hagerty uses. What do they consider a daily driver? I plan on driving my Corvette daily, but only during the summer monthsduring the summer months, on nice days, and the car will be stored during the winter months, plus I have two other vehicles that will be driven year around. I will be retired so it won't be driven to work, but could this be considered a daily driver?

I have both the MG and Marina with them.

For a while I had the MG on my standard insurance-Auto Owners-and was paying around $700/year. Hagerty charges me $300 a year for both the MG and the Marina. That's for $7K agreed on the MG and $2K on the Marina.

I specifically talked to them and read the fine print of the policy. Most of my driving-especially in the MG-is stuff like taking it out for a drive just because or perhaps driving it to dinner on a nice evening. Both also get driven to work every once in a great while-no more than once or twice a month-and I was specifically told that it was fine. They don't check mileage, but IIRC they asked for an estimated annual mileage and I stick well below what I claimed(5K/year, and I usually do 2-3K in the MG). As mentioned above, they needed to know that I had a standard daily driver and wanted to know the details of it-if they were to audit the mileage of the cars I have with them vs. my daily, they'd see that the cars they insure only do a fraction of the mileage.

Several of my MG friends have their cars insured through Hagerty, and have never had an issue collecting on a claim. Given that your average MGB is not super valuable, many have elected to buy the car back and repair it after an accident-Hagerty has done them right on that. Others who have had collision damage repaired said that they were extremely easy to work with through the whole process.

Just put my 63 Valiant and 86 Olds Calais on Hagerty.

The main vehicle, an 05 ION, gets the bulk of the mileage [3000 miles last year], perhaps 1000 each on the other two.

Prior to signing up, the Olds did a 1700 mile round trip from Tucson to Salt Lake City and back. And new paint Aug. 1st

Since I am retired, none of them could really be called a "daily driver".

@ Bunnspecial: "For a while I had the MG on my standard insurance-Auto Owners-and was paying around $700/year. Hagerty charges me $300 a year for both the MG and the Marina. That's for $7K agreed on the MG and $2K on the Marina."

Do you watch Morris McKinnon on You Tube ? He's restoring a Marina from basket case status. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkDqq73KTSUniR8-gXFmSzw

Fantastic you own one.

I just got an online quote from Grundy for the Corvette with the same coverages as Hagerty, and the same guaranteed value of $20K. Their premium was $273 a year, which is less than half of that from Hagerty. Makes me curious how their premium can be so much lower with the same coverages. I wonder if their have more, or tighter driving restrictions?

Originally Posted by DweezilAZ
@ Bunnspecial: "For a while I had the MG on my standard insurance-Auto Owners-and was paying around $700/year. Hagerty charges me $300 a year for both the MG and the Marina. That's for $7K agreed on the MG and $2K on the Marina."

Do you watch Morris McKinnon on You Tube ? He's restoring a Marina from basket case status. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkDqq73KTSUniR8-gXFmSzw

Fantastic you own one.

The Marina is a relatively recent addition for me, and even though it's kind of a crummy car it's still something interesting and there are only a handful of them left in the US.

You can tell it's definitely a BL "parts bin" car, but at least the engine is familiar to me(it's more or less the same as the post-72 MGB engine).

Mine hasn't been on the road in ~10 years, but it mostly just needs me spending some time on it and I haven't had enough of that recently. Once I have a chance to do a quick clean-up of the carbs, dump and clean the fuel system, go through the brakes, and change the fluids it should be good enough that I can drive it to the sheriff's office for a safety inspection and then register it. Beyond that, it needs some light cosmetic work, but the previous owner did fortunately take care of the major stuff(got it all straight and put a good paint job on it) several years back. It will be slow going, but at least I should have it driveable in a week or two. I should also mention that it badly needs a set of tires-I need to decide if I do that before or after I drive it in for the inspection(Kentucky basically just checks the wipers, horns, and all the lights in a safety inspection-it's a 10 minute job that the sheriff charged $5 to do).

I shopped Hagerty amongst others. I currently have American Collectors, which was cheaper with a very substantial use rider. $563 for one $20k car that sees limited use sounds high unless your driving record is poor. I pay about that for max coverage in NJ on over 50% more car value, and riders.

Keep in mind that these classic insurance policies, unless covered with a riser, really only cover you from your secure parking spot (enclosed, locked garage) to and from car shows and events. Even other uses (overnight stops) can be disallowed based upon the policy terms.

American collectors allows for up to 6500 miles a year of commuting, which provides you assured coverage if you use the car for something and it get hit at the supermarket or restaurant.

WhenI shopped last, the agents were very wish washy, as were details. We "might" cover you for manny things was used a lot. Might cover if you're liable for damaging someone else's property is a major issue. You want definite coverage.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Is this primarily for classic vehicles?

Out of curiosity, I did a quote for my Charger (which is not a classic obviously), pleasure use only, 2k miles a year, and the quote came out higher than what I'm currently paying with LM.

Yes primarily for classic or unique vehicles. I do have my 98 Chevy truck on it because it was a somewhat limited build, but that faced scrutiny. My carrier wouldn't list my 135i on the policy though it was limited use. See my comments above about use and commuting.

A charger is a commodity car unless a hellcat, imo. Sort of like my 135i. A normal insurance carrier will give you some lowball nada type valuation, and define the allowable hourly rate for a shop (and try to steer you to their preferred shops who repair by their standards, not OE), and put used or Chinese parts in the car.

The insurance we're talking about here establishes a stated value for the vehicle and will pay that on a loss. Not play games and work profit margins on screwing you over. Profit for these classic guys is based upon far lower actuarial risk, limited use, defined parking requirements, select acceptance and a premium that links that retained risk to a defined and assumed payout.

I'd assume the payouts from these classic insurers are little to none per year. I may be wrong though.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I shopped Hagerty amongst others. I currently have American Collectors, which was cheaper with a very substantial use rider. $563 for one $20k car that sees limited use sounds high unless your driving record is poor. I pay about that for max coverage in NJ on over 50% more car value, and riders.

Keep in mind that these classic insurance policies, unless covered with a riser, really only cover you from your secure parking spot (enclosed, locked garage) to and from car shows and events. Even other uses (overnight stops) can be disallowed based upon the policy terms.

American collectors allows for up to 6500 miles a year of commuting, which provides you assured coverage if you use the car for something and it get hit at the supermarket or restaurant.

WhenI shopped last, the agents were very wish washy, as were details. We "might" cover you for manny things was used a lot. Might cover if you're liable for damaging someone else's property is a major issue. You want definite coverage.

I have shopped American Collectors, and actually liked what I saw enough to consider switching. Now that I have two cars I'm insuring, I should switch back. The folks I know who have HAD to make a claim speak very highly of the process, but then I've also heard much the same for both Hagerty and Grundy.

One thing I will say for Hagerty is it seems like they do a lot in terms of actually supporting the classic car hobby. I know that at car shows and the like, they often have a very visible presence, and I've heard of them sponsoring restoration projects on some interesting cars.

My exact details on this are hazy since I didn't participate, but I know that when the 5-year "All Register" MG meet was in town a few years ago Hagerty did quite a bit with the show. If I'm not mistaken, if you were signed up for one of the sanctioned drives in the event, they covered you completely for the duration of the drive.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

What's a "use rider?"

I just did an online quote with American Collectors and they quoted me $444 a year...I guess what I need to do is get on the phone with these companies and start asking some very specific questions about what is covered and what is not...that is the only way I'm going to find out which company is right for my needs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back