what type of oil to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
with a high mileage car 85k 2015 hyundai accent. some oil consumption. 5w20 oil..(monitoring it right now) so far 12 oz per 1200 miles. so in theory 30oz per 3000 miles is that a lot?
folks have suggested using 5w30 or 5w20 high mileage or go full synthetic....i am not leaking oil, pcv valve looks good ...no smoke ...could be rings..
have not done a compression test yet.. any thoughts?

Last edited:
Valvoline Maxlife (red bottle) 5w30. Followed by 5w30 Valvoline conventional, PYB 5w30, Chevron Supreme or Formual Shell from Home Depot. Prob stick to 5k oil changes with an oem filter.

What oil is being used now?

Last edited:
my mechanic uses carquest ......let me back up and tell the story ...i usually have my mechanic do oil changes. but i was in a hurry and went to one of the chain change places
and at about 2400 miles the oil light flickered...i got to work and checked the dipstick and it was pretty low ...i immediately added a quart and went to my mechanics that evening
they could see any leaks or smoking...didn't do a compression test (yet) we changed the oil and started a new keeping a log checking the level weekly ...hence where i am at now.....not blaming anyone but he thinks they either put the wrong oil in or not enough or both......

Last edited:
Go back 2 Oil changes. Was it using oil between changes? Look for drips and check for a while. Be glad you caught it. Let your mechanic change oil. Couple weeks long on the interval isn't a deal. or go to a Valvoline franchise. Don't trust anybody check your oil every so often
grin2.gif

you know i was not checking the levels...too much going on for me too remember to do so....but i am now!
but i always check under car for drips..never seen any...mechanic checked engine and pan for leaks ...nothing...

I think he would notice 12 ounces every 1200 miles it if was dripping, it would be a dang oil slick, lol. Have you changed pcv? Probably past due if not.

That isn't a lot of oil when considering burning, unless it is a new thing, then it's a sign. Have you changed plugs as well? I might start using a ucl as well, it isn't fact based but I have always been concerned with the new ethonal gas mixes long term. I like redline s-1 or amsoil pi, good pea numbers plus upper cyliner lube, cleans and protects, but many guys here run TC-W3 as a budget ucl. I'f I wasn't going to get all mechanical on it, I'd start using a ucl, 5w30, and at least clean pcv, and then monitor it.

I track oil levels every 1000 miles or more depending on circumstances. Most cars I have owned looses oil so i got in habit years ago and only takes a second while filling up. I still haven't figured out the Grand Grand Caravan yet. It was a quart low with factory oil at 4500 so changed it to synthetic blend ran 4500 never loss any then synthetic and i am a half quart low in first 1500 miles of this change. Reason for 4000 mile changes give or take 500 miles is this is severe duty according to manual. Point is you never know if using oil without a trend.

I would use 5w30 QSUD or PP/PU. I ran my Hyundai Accent on the 5w30 with 4500 mile oci. Check my past posts for more information. Using pea throttle body cleaner every 10k and a pea fuel cleaner every 10k.

To answer the suggestion question: Castrol GTX Ultraclean 5w30

Why? Because itll last a 5k oci, is affordable, and can be found at walmart.

Plus it was the first oil that popped in my head at the time of this post.

Really though, use whatever 5w30 you wish, check the PCV/Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back