My Good Deed for the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning at the local Walmart, I again checked out their selection of cartridges to fit my Toyota, including the Fram Ultra 10358. I looked at only one.

The good news was that the pleats of today's example were much more uniformly spaced than I'd seen on earlier examples in which about half the pleats were crammed together into maybe a third of the circumference---so tightly it is hard to imagine how oil could easily get past the non-existent gap between the inner creases. Big improvement!

However ... Looking into the center hole, I saw a small piece of metal protruding inward from the metal screen backing. It extended far enough toward the center that it would not have cleared the center tube of the housing, if someone installed it. I decided to poke at the protruding piece to see whether it would break off easily. As soon as I touched it very lightly, it fell off in the floor. It was apparently completely loose, resting between the metal backing and the center hole of the end cap. In hindsight, I should've found and picked up the fragment and measured it, since someone here is sure to inquire how large it was, or want a photograph. It was "X" shaped, evidently a stray fragment of the backing material, about as large as it could be without including more than one intersection of the criss-crossed pattern. Maybe roughly 1.5×2.0 millimeters.

Perhaps as a result of my tampering with the merchandise, that steel fragment will not end up in a very bad place in someone's engine.

Always a good idea to thoroughly inspect any filter before buying. Stuff can happen during production with any oil filter.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Did you put it into the cheaper filter box? that's SOP for Walmart filter shoppers from what I hear...

Hahahahahaah^^^

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Did you put it into the cheaper filter box? that's SOP for Walmart filter shoppers from what I hear...

One of the reasons why I buy direct from Fram on Amazon. THEN, I inspect the still sealed box. Another reason is my local Walmart's are almost always out of stock for the XG9688 I use.

The real pink media Ultra screen is very tough stainless steel. I can see where manufacturing it and working with it is challenging. Very near the Ultra is the Toyota Denso which is metal free.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
The real pink media Ultra screen is very tough stainless steel. I can see where manufacturing it and working with it is challenging. Very near the Ultra is the Toyota Denso which is metal free.
The media in the 10358 Ultra is gray.

I assume the screen is the same as in spin-on Ultras. Agree that that stuff could be challenging to work with. Finding a loose fragment of it ready to go into the oil gallery is still a surprise.

The corresponding Denso (Toyota) cartridge has a very different set of advantages and disadvantages; I'm not clear in what sense it's "near the Ultra," unless possibly in overall desirability.

I have confronted management about having the checker match the filter to the box so that they make sure they are getting what they pay for theory. Gonna run this FU7317 out to 30K miles so I dont need filters for awhile. Dislike thieves more than liars; easier to catch!

Originally Posted by CR94

It is pink.

[Linked Image]

I assume the screen is the same as in spin-on Ultras. Agree that that stuff could be challenging to work with. Finding a loose fragment of it ready to go into the oil gallery is still a surprise.

The corresponding Denso (Toyota) cartridge has a very different set of advantages and disadvantages; I'm not clear in what sense it's "near the Ultra," unless possibly in overall desirability.

On the shelves at WM, they are selling the Toyota filters the Frams. They are a bit overpriced though. The discovery of such a large metal particle does raise questions about metal screens in filters in general and the mass production process.

Originally Posted by 2015Corolla

It is pink. ...
OK, pinkish gray, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back