Any issues with GM's 9 speed auto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have there been any issues with GM's nine speed auto? (Not the 9 speed that Chrysler and some others have been using.) I'm planning to buy a 2020 Equinox with the 2.0T engine and the nine speed. I have test driven one twice now and liked that engine and trans combo. So if you have any information about this transmission, please step in. I sense that some of you folks dislike or don't trust GM products, and that's fine, but I'm looking for experience with this particular transmission.

Thanks

It is too new to know. I am sure the extra cost if you need a rebuild will exceed the fuel saved by a considerable margin.

5 and 6 speeds are pretty much ideal for gas between extra costs and fuel saved.

Rod

I have 12k on mine in my 2018 Malibu, no problems. The programming seems to be right on, always seems to be in the right gear whether I have a heavy or light foot.

I hear they are having problems with their 8 speeds, so I imagine the 9 speed will probably have it's issues too.

I own a GM 6 speed (Silverado), I mean I like it...no issues yet, but even the 6 speeds have issues.

I have owned an 8 speed Airens (Lexus LS460) and that was great, absolutely love what these 8 plus speed units can do in terms of fuel economy, but be warned, they have had their issues across the board from all manufacturers. And I have spoken to people who the manufacturers buy them from (the companies that make them), they say...don't blame us, blame GM, blame Chrysler...we start out with our set of specifications and they come back and want it done cheaper, and that's the problem...manufacturers don't care as long as these things can last until the warranty period is up. But this company actually told me...the 8 speed we sold Chrysler is not the same as the 8 speed we sold BMW (or at least I think it was BMW, can't remember now, but the failure rate was so much higher on the Chrysler).

Originally Posted by va2001ss
I have 12k on mine in my 2018 Malibu, no problems. The programming seems to be right on, always seems to be in the right gear whether I have a heavy or light foot.

Thanks for that reply.

I started this thread on bitog because I was pretty sure that this transmission was used in other GM vehicles besides the Equinox, so I figured there was a larger audience here than just on the Equinox forum. Since I started this thread I've found that the nine speed transmission is the 9T50. So I did a quick search for problems and didn't really find anything. What little feedback I did find was all pretty positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back