I want WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
When I don't get things my way, I generally react the same way in public.
coffee2.gif

If you also stomp you're foot I think we deserve a video of that.

Originally Posted by PimTac
They have been called fish and chips since the beginning.

The dish originated in the U.K. They call fries "chips" there.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Most of these kids will live with their parents until their parents pass away and then live on the remaining inheritance, if any, or go on public assistance. Wasn't there some 30 something man suing his parents for forcibly having him removed from their home recently? That's that kid on the plane.

That might be common, heard of a few stories like that. There's also the one where the 34 year old Princeton grad shot his father because he cut his allowance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/28/nyregion/murder-trial-thomas-gilbert-verdict.html

Children by the age of 15 months believe the entire world revolves around them. It's the child's parents job to teach them that it doesn't. If they do, then the child will grow up to be a thoughtful and productive contributor to society. If not, they will be entitled adults that are miserable and destructive. I wish more parents understood this...

Originally Posted by DBMaster
Originally Posted by PimTac
They have been called fish and chips since the beginning.

correct, and what we in the states call chips, are "crisps"

and by the way, these distinctions aren't just US/UK... most of the rest of the English speaking parts of the world use the UK terminology by default...

we're just the bratty kids who broke away and changed the language/spellings/etc.

Originally Posted by DBMaster

Here, too, especially in years past. There's no confusion about what "fish and chips" means here. The use of the word fries mainly came in with international fast food chains.

Everyone on the plane should have their electronics confiscated.
wink.gif
Flying is for reading books!

Soon enough these kids will be like the young employee described in this article about a Twitter thread by Carol Blymire on July 12, 2019. A lot of outlets picked up the story, but when I first heard of it, thought it was a gag or prank. It is not. Carol is well known, and a "blue check." If the twenty-something described by Carol was so distraught at an editor's simple correction, what has she been doing the past month after all of this attention? Hiding in her mom's basement, maybe?
http://www.pjmedia.com/vodkapundit/...-work-when-editor-corrects-her-spelling/

Originally Posted by billt460
I've often said if you want to establish zero population growth in this country, just require couples to pass a parental exam before they are allowed to have kids. Fewer than 10% would pass.

Watch the movie "Idiocracy" ... It's a crystal ball of the future of society.

Our friends were truly "amazed" when I told them that our 3 year old did Colorado Springs to Dallas for 4th of July in a car without iPad (he does not get iPad, phone, nothing electronic wise). He does ask all the time about trains, construction trucks, etc. on the way (he does same when I am driving him to daycare in the morning, like constantly, which is good, but sometimes too much before coffee :))
Tonight he told me he wants to "drive" space shuttle to the stars. I actually felt really proud he does not want to be some character from some iPad game or whatever.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I've often said if you want to establish zero population growth in this country, just require couples to pass a parental exam before they are allowed to have kids. Fewer than 10% would pass.

What's funny, (or sad depending how you look at it), Is when we adopted our dog from a local animal shelter, (after we found him on the street and took him there), we were sat down and asked a slew of questions, in order to find out if we were capable of taking care of him in the proper way.

They wanted to know the size of our house. If we owned or rented. If we both worked. And if we did, would the dog be left alone. If our back yard was fenced or walled in. (They even checked our address on Google Earth to see if what we told them matched up). Which vet we would be using for his health care needs.

They would not have allowed us to adopt if we were in the service. Because they felt service people get relocated too often, and they felt that would become too disruptive for the dog. And the dog could easily end up in another shelter. (Luke Air Force Base was just 2 miles away from the shelter, and they get a lot of people from there trying to adopt dogs for their kids).

If we both worked, with no one else in the home when we were gone, we would have been denied him as well. They don't want the dog to be left alone for long periods. When we told them we were both retired, they wanted to know what other income we had besides our S.S. Even who would get the dog in the event of our deaths.

Now, you might think all of that is a bit over the top for adopting an animal. And to some extent I would agree. But the point is they were doing their best to insure the dog would enjoy a full, healthy life in good, caring, capable hands. And not end up in the same place he was when we found him. So in a way I was glad to see that.

Yes, if you adopt a child there are stringent qualifications as well. But other than a night in the sack, what "tests" do parents of children have to pass when they manufacture their own? The whole process certainly made me think. And now here we sit wondering why there are so many "parents" who are barely capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time, let alone raising a child.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

What's funny, (or sad depending how you look at it), Is when we adopted our dog from a local animal shelter, (after we found him on the street and took him there), we were sat down and asked a slew of questions, in order to find out if we were capable of taking care of him in the proper way.

They wanted to know the size of our house. If we owned or rented. If we both worked. And if we did, would the dog be left alone. If our back yard was fenced or walled in. (They even checked our address on Google Earth to see if what we told them matched up). Which vet we would be using for his health care needs.

They would not have allowed us to adopt if we were in the service. Because they felt service people get relocated too often, and they felt that would become too disruptive for the dog. And the dog could easily end up in another shelter. (Luke Air Force Base was just 2 miles away from the shelter, and they get a lot of people from there trying to adopt dogs for their kids).

If we both worked, with no one else in the home when we were gone, we would have been denied him as well. They don't want the dog to be left alone for long periods. When we told them we were both retired, they wanted to know what other income we had besides our S.S. Even who would get the dog in the event of our deaths.

Now, you might think all of that is a bit over the top for adopting an animal. And to some extent I would agree. But the point is they were doing their best to insure the dog would enjoy a full, healthy life in good, caring, capable hands. And not end up in the same place he was when we found him. So in a way I was glad to see that.

Yes, if you adopt a child there are stringent qualifications as well. But other than a night in the sack, what "tests" do parents of children have to pass when they manufacture their own? The whole process certainly made me think. And now here we sit wondering why there are so many "parents" who are barely capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time, let alone raising a child.

New Orleans ASPCA was far more prepared than City of NOLA or State of Louisiana for Katrina. Read book by Douglas Brinkley "Great Deluge" where he was comapring organization and response of NOLA ASPCA and other institutions.

But other than a night in the sack, what "tests" do parents of children have to pass when they manufacture their own? The whole process certainly made me think. And now here we sit wondering why there are so many "parents" who are barely capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time, let alone raising a child.

I seem to recall reading some line a while ago about how becoming a parent could be done with unskilled labor with no prior experience. It has the lowest bar to entry of probably any job out there.

You ought to see what they act like when they violate the law and end up in my facility. I've had a few run-ins with some spoiled entitled twerps that would make you laugh, cry, and shake your head. And these are people in their mid 20's that have ostensibly been playing the adult game for a few years now.

We have an amazon fire tablet, and the only time they get to use it is special occasions associated with flying. The kids know that if they don't share it they both lose it. They are limited in the time they can use it in transit. So they're not overly restricted, but know that there are restrictions. If they made a fuss they know they would lose it.

Entitled kids is the norm. Weak parents too.

It amazes me how many of our friends cook multiple different meals for their kids, not because of allergies, but straight up allowed picky eating.

Kids on phones, including parents using phones as babysitters is another thing I use, and is horrible. I totally get how it makes life easier, especially if one parent is handling multiple kids (don't make any assumption about family structure). It's easy to see kids demanding phones.

But the "I deserve" culture trickles from the parents down, and is horrible.

Originally Posted by Astro14
The five year old in the seat in front of me (ORF-EWR commute this morning, Embraer RJ-145) is whining, crying, kicking the seat in front of her (where her mother is seated) to get her mother's attention after her father told her that the airplane doesn't have WiFi...

I'm just astonished by the whole scene...

Parents who won't admonish her behaviors.

A five year old who is entitled to WiFi, while flying in a plane!

Beyond even "first world problem"...

My kids had crayons, and coloring books. I wouldn't have allowed this egregious display of spoiled behavior...

Wow.

Just.

Wow.

crap isolating incident if made up, come one now i really don't see 5 year olds know what wifi is.....??? I mean they haven't gone to school yet. A child begins to reason at 7 years old.

Originally Posted by Mamala Bay
Originally Posted by Astro14
The five year old in the seat in front of me (ORF-EWR commute this morning, Embraer RJ-145) is whining, crying, kicking the seat in front of her (where her mother is seated) to get her mother's attention after her father told her that the airplane doesn't have WiFi...

I'm just astonished by the whole scene...

Parents who won't admonish her behaviors.

A five year old who is entitled to WiFi, while flying in a plane!

Beyond even "first world problem"...

My kids had crayons, and coloring books. I wouldn't have allowed this egregious display of spoiled behavior...

Wow.

Just.

Wow.

crap isolating incident if made up, come one now i really don't see 5 year olds know what wifi is.....??? I mean they haven't gone to school yet. A child begins to reason at 7 years old.

In what world do you live man?
My wife's cousins were 4 and 6 and did not know to flip pages on a book we gave them as a present. They ONLY use iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back