PP 0W40 EURO SN AND SN PLUS Kinematic Viscosity #s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at their tech data sheets one sees as their kin visc:

SN:

[Linked Image]

SN PLUS:

[Linked Image]

Of course both #s have changed going from SN to SN PLUS but the 40C stat seems significantly different.

(Do you know of other 0W40s with a lower 40 C #?)

Any UOAs for the now PLUS edition?

The 0W40 is not easily available for purchase in Canada ie not at CT as far as I know
confused2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
The kinematic viscosity numbers for PP 5w40 Euro SN are:

Kv 40: 80.8 cSt
Kv 100: 13.3 cSt

That is why I prefer the #s of the 0W40 for all year round in my location.

Originally Posted by 21Rouge

Wouldn't the SN+ formulation be better then?

Southern Ontario gets down to -35 C? If you are concerned about low temperature characteristics, take a look at CCS (cold cranking simulator tests). A 0w is good for -35 C. A 5w is good for -30 C. The simulator tests are using a Dynamic Viscosity of 6000 to 7000 mPa-s as the lowest viscosity for a decent cold start. The Kv 40 is not the indicator to look at for cold starts.
smile.gif

Last edited:

That stuff left the building down here … still have a few quarts with $1 stickers on them …

Southern Ontario gets down to -35 C?

We are getting OT (my fault maybe). I am not interested in the 5W40. My OP was just trying to highlight the (significant?) difference in the 40C KV going from SN to SN PLUS....just surprised.

Last edited:
Ok, but it would be easier to see how insignificant that is if you had chance to see a graph of Kinematic viscosity as the temperature drops. The viscosity would rise into an exponential function, from say, 12.8 cSt at 100 C to thousands of centistokes on its way to sub zero temps. Rising to 63.5 at 40 C instead of 72.2 with the SN is pretty much "in the noise." Carry on!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Rising to 63.5 at 40 C instead of 72.2 with the SN is pretty much "in the noise."

Which begs the question as to what difference in cSt would be beyond "noise".

Last edited:

And for the more current SN PLUS it is:

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
After multiple phone calls and emails it seems as of right now a Canadian cannot order single cases of the SN PLUS PP EURO 0W40 from a Shell Lubricants Distribution Centre. According to the rep Shell is trying to push out the remaining supply of the SN edition. (But supposedly one can order SN PLUS as 24 one quart bottles ie 4 cases
confused2.gif
)

Originally Posted by Garak
Did you call Blue Wave directly? 24 quarts isn't an overly oppressive amount, really. I tend to not buy less than 15 litres at a time, where possible.

Yes I have spoken to BW and Shell Technical trying to get the appropriate product #.

Given the price of a case of the PP SN, extrapolating this to SN PLUS, the cost of 4 cases could be over $300 (including taxes).

And given that I wont be changing the given fill (M1 ESP X 0W30) till likely October I was thinking that the single case SN + will be available by then.

Originally Posted by Garak
Did you call Blue Wave directly? 24 quarts isn't an overly oppressive amount, really.

I was just about to make an order (as I got two others to chip in for 6 quarts each) but I first wanted to figure out how these 24 quarts were packaged. I called Shell Technical support and the equivalent 24 quarts comes in something called an ECO BOX. And from what I can gather I dont believe the 24 quarts is able to be split up into convenient quantities of say....6 quarts. I think the oil is packaged in plastic bag(s) or the like which is not convenient?

Anyone else have experience with such packaging from Shell/Pennzoil?

Rising to 63.5 at 40 C instead of 72.2 with the SN is pretty much "in the noise."

Which begs the question as to what difference in cSt would be beyond "noise".

That's not "noise" but a significant formulation difference.
The VI of the SN oil was a respectable 183 but the new oil is 206, the highest of any 40 grade or heavier PCMO.
Congrat's to Pennzoil and Shell.

It's worth noting that PP Euro SN+ 0W-40 is basically PP Euro LX 0W-30 (KV100 11.9 cSt, VI 204) with a pinch more VIIs bumping the oil into the 40 grade range. It will be interesting to see the add' pac' since this is not advertised as a low SAPS oil. Might have more ZDDP?

Originally Posted by CATERHAM

That's not "noise" but a significant formulation difference.
The VI of the SN oil was a respectable 183 but the new oil is 206, the highest of any 40 grade or heavier PCMO.
Congrat's to Pennzoil and Shell.

It's worth noting that PP Euro SN+ 0W-40 is basically PP Euro LX 0W-30 (KV100 11.9 cSt, VI 204) with a pinch more VIIs bumping the oil into the 40 grade range. It will be interesting to see the add' pac' since this is not advertised as a low SAPS oil. Might have more ZDDP?

If and when I get this SN PLUS 0W40 I will do a VOA.

Anyone else have experience with such packaging from Shell/Pennzoil?

I haven't used them, but I am aware of them. They should have them available in 6 by 1 L packages, too. I'm not sure if those come in 5 L jugs. The EcoBox is a big, plastic lined box, essentially. I'd have little problem using one, but splitting it up is, as you mention, not convenient. Check with them for other container sizes. Whenever I've contacted them, they give me the other container size options, too.

CATERHAM: You're alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back