Power Steering Pressure Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Focus in my sig has had a bit of a power steering leak since I've owned it but I had never been able to find where it was coming from. I started to lose fluid rapidly the last time I drove it before I parked it for a while. Now that I need to start driving it again, I can't keep fluid in it. I did some investigating and found that the pressure switch is leaking directly through the connector. These switches are $40 - $50 everywhere I've looked.

As I understand it, this switch bumps the idle up when the steering wheel is turned full lock. So, is it possible, at least temporarily, to unscrew this switch and put a threaded plug in place to keep the fluid in the system?

Yes. My old Toyota had the same thing, albeit vacuum instead of electric.

I never hit the stop, or had high demand, when on the street (lots of times off road with the engine at idle and high steering pump demand).

So, for street use/temp fix, sure. Put in a plug.

Leave the switch connected to the engine harness so you don't trigger a CEL, and be certain that you match the threads exactly (NPT? Regular?) and it will be fine until you get a new switch.

If you're going through the effort of removing the old switch to plug the hole. might as well put in a new switch and call it a day.

Thanks All,

I'm going to go ahead and get one online. I was apparently cross referencing the wrong part number. I will still get a plug to be able to drive the car until the new switch comes in.

You could bust the top off of the old switch and weld the fluid passage in the base closed. Then screw the base back into the line and it's a plug.

When I did my 5.0 engine swap into my Ranger,
I did not hook up this feature....

and I have not once ever needed it or noticed any need for it.

Originally Posted by mk378
You could bust the top off of the old switch and weld the fluid passage in the base closed. Then screw the base back into the line and it's a plug.

I ended up taking the old switch out, cleaning it up and jb welding the passage closed. I'm waiting for it to cure now before I put it back in. I am doing it this way to make sure the pump still works correctly, I ended up running it with low fluid for quite a while. Not much noise from it though so it may be okay still.

Are you sure it isn't just the o ring on the sensor that is leaking? I rebuild of lot of these PS sensors on many Euro cars, they use 3 o rings and a push nut. Yours is not rebuildable but look where the fluid is coming from, if its from under the wire connector its done but if its coming out of the fitting its the o ring. Any bearing shop like Eastern has one for under .50c.

Edit: BTW, Standard makes one for yours for $25 PSS44 at Rock Auto

Last edited:
I got under the car with it running and there was fluid coming out from the inside of the wire plug connector.

Originally Posted by Trav
Spend the few bucks to fix it, its easier than messing around with plugs and its fixed right.

My point with plugging it for right now is to ensure that the pump is still good. If it ends up needing replaced then a new pump will come with a new switch anyway, no?

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
Originally Posted by Trav
Spend the few bucks to fix it, its easier than messing around with plugs and its fixed right.

My point with plugging it for right now is to ensure that the pump is still good. If it ends up needing replaced then a new pump will come with a new switch anyway, no?

Some do, some don't. Like from Ford I don't see anything saying that it will. Also they would be reman so odds are the switch will be re-used unless obviously damaged when it is rebuilt.

Well, the good news is the power steering system seems to still be 100% functional.

The bad news is my plug job with JB Weld ended up being temporary. I went into town today after driving problem free for over 100 miles this week and it started leaking out through the plug again. I guess I'm going to replace it with the proper switch.

Could there be something causing super high system pressure that keeps blowing this out or is is just a bad switch and a hack job plug with JB weld? I'm guessing if the pressure in the system were too high a hose would blow out before a brass switch.

[Linked Image]

Well, I ordered the PSS44 from Amazon prime, got it and it looks like it's different. I even confirmed that it is supposed to take this one when I ordered it but then I noticed that there's a note with the thread size, apparently I didn't check that.

Does this look like the PSS59 then since that's the other one that fits it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back