Price spread trans filters '16 Camry

Prices on line vary from 26-65$. ATP? Wix? stick with OEM? I'm lining up parts for a drain and fill. TIA
grin2.gif

I would go with a WIX any day. Maybe sure you get a decent gasket. Some include a cheap cork gasket, If you get one like that, toss the gasket and get a good gasket.

Some gaskets are fine to reuse.

For a car that new, I might not change the filter yet. I will bet its very clean.

Does the Camry have a drain plug. My 1994 did.

Last edited:
The Camry does have a drain plug - you will also need a 8mm Allen or hex bit to remove the standpipe for the fluid level check in order to drain the pan.

Stick with OEM - that way you get the real Filtran filter made in the US(or a Toyo Roki filter made in Japan) and the nicer rubber gasket. Don't forget the O-ring and also these trannies are sensitive to fill level and temperature.

Last edited:
Thank you guys. I'v finally got comfortable changing the oil filter on the Camrys. Time to expand the skill set. The recommended drain interval for these is 30K? LE has 38K , SE, 48K. I reckon I can manage a drain into a graduated container on a cold car some morning. I tell you what, if the cars had a dip stick I could worry over, I probably wouldn't even consider doing a D/F Both cars motate fine.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by andyd
Thank you guys. I'v finally got comfortable changing the oil filter on the Camrys. Time to expand the skill set. The recommended drain interval for these is 30K? LE has 38K , SE, 48K. I reckon I can manage a drain into a graduated container on a cold car some morning. I tell you what, if the cars had a dip stick I could worry over, I probably wouldn't even consider doing a D/F Both cars motate fine.
grin2.gif

The recommended mileage to CHECK the transmission fluid is 60k miles not 30k. Replacement is only recommended if you operate in the severe zone (towing, short trips, etc). And the Camry has a sealed transmission so changing the fluid is a bit more detailed. Like JimPghPA mentioned, watch a few youtube videos before you get started.

Good luck.

Approx two quarts of ATF will come out through the drain plug after you remove the plastic pipe thing. I wouldn't mess with the filter.

Fluids break down - decompose, wear out, it is not only mileage it is age (how long, this is a consideration). There is significant fluid remaining in the torque converter after a draining the transmission. I don't know the percentage, but it is significant. For the money saved by not buying OEM, might consider putting the saving into flushing all the fluid, disconnect the lines at the transmission radiator, the front wheels need to be blocked up so the wheels/tires can spin, no problem if it is on a rack, put buckets under each, intake, output, I would guess you need at least 3 gallons - you can return the unused. Run the engine, with transmission engaged, then I would suspect 97+% of the fluid is replaced. This is posted on you tube I am sure, I recall, if not is sure should be, The only reason I post this is that there is a significant difference in price between replaceing a transmission on a front wheel drive and rear wheel drive, this is a consideration. Don't forget the differential fuild. As for flushing, might consider doing the same procudure for you power steering fluid.

I am about to service the transmission in our 2013 GS.
The filter (strainer), pan gasket and o-ring was about $80 out the door at Lexus of Stevens Creek in Silicon Valley.
This is a good price, as most dealerships get $72 just for the filter.

I would use a factory filter, as you won't be doing this again for a loooong time.
Good luck and have fun with it.

Back