Real Advantages Of Castrol EDGE 5W30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying hard to take the high road here to better understand advantages of Castrol Edge 5W30 D1 / Gen 2- however that is a bit of a challenge for me to find the hidden "unicorn tears" so to speak of Castrol EDGE . I read all the notable experts here regarding cleaning , NOACK , base oil formulation , OEM specifications met , wear rate , etc. and Castrol EDGE doesn't appear at the top of the list for any ? Of the readily off the shelf synthetic brands - PPPP , M1 , QSUD & Valvoline Advanced 5W30 D1/Gen 2 from what I recall all score higher . My only experience with Castrol EDGE 5W30 was that it was higher priced than any of the above listed synthetic oils at WM and the oil turned black in my 2.4L GDI Hyundai before 1,500 miles (engine has seen nothing but synthetic oil in it since the factory fill 28K miles ago ...) *So what am I missing here about Castrol EDGE 5W30 D1/Gen 2 that makes it worth the extra $3.00 per jug over the 5W30 D1/Gen 2 offerings from SOPUS , Valvoline and M1 ? ... When you compare against QSUD - that makes Castrol EDGE almost $9.00 more per jug ... Is Castrol EDGE really $9.00 per jug better than QSUD ? What attributes am I missing from Castrol EDGE that make it a better choice - other than it turns in a good UOA for fans of the oil ?

I sure hope it is good oil. I decided to use in in my new Mazda CX 5 with the 2.5L turbo engine. It is GF5 and SN Plus rated, meets DEXOS specs and supposedly (according to Castrol anyway) formulated for gas direct injected and turbocharged engines. I bought a 5 quart jug from Amazon for about $23 with free delivery when combined with a couple other items to bring the total up above $25. I wish it were higher in Moly like the Redline 5W-30 that I used to use in my 370Z but then again it isn't $65 for 5 quarts either.

After I get about 10,000 miles on the engine I will run a Blackstone report and see how well it mates with that engine.

Castrol Edge or Edge Extended? Edge is priced $20.82 5 qt. jug on Amazon. Extended is $24.48 for a 15,000 mile oil. Yes, QSUD is the best price "major" synthetic oil right now. Castrol Edge and Edge Extended are priced right with comparable M1 and Pennzoil offerings..Am I missing something....other than QSUD being .60 less per qt?......Would not be the first time LOL

QSUD - Magnatec
PP - Edge
PUP - Edge EP

They set the prices based on these tiers, if you don't compare the same tiers the prices will differ a bit.

Originally Posted by tenderloin
Castrol Edge or Edge Extended? Edge is priced $20.82 5 qt. jug on Amazon. Extended is $24.48 for a 15,000 mile oil. Yes, QSUD is the best price "major" synthetic oil right now. Castrol Edge and Edge Extended are priced right with comparable M1 and Pennzoil offerings..Am I missing something....other than QSUD being .60 less per qt?......Would not be the first time LOL

*Going by regular , non - roll back WM pricing as my base line (although as you indicated - regular black jug EDGE can be found cheaper elsewhere ) .

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
the oil turned black in my 2.4L GDI Hyundai before 1,500 miles

My Kia with the same 2.4 turns ANY oil black before 1000 miles, has to do with GDI not the oil

Perhaps better if I leave out QSUD 5W30 from the discussion and look to compare Castrol EDGE 5W30 Black Jug to PPPP , M1 and Valvoline Advanced 5W30 synthetic oils .
Beyond the fact they all meet D1 / Gen 2 - the only absolutes learned will probably be trying to research a similar engine and driving conditions (i.e. 2.4L GDI Hyundai) to see how Castrol EDGE Black Jug performs ... The rest is mostly marketing and their in - house warlock's special blend of additives ... *Is Mobil still the only oil company who makes their own base stocks or has SOPUS and Valvoline joined Mobil (or continuing to buy base stocks from a 3rd party) ?

Another good option for you would be Castrol GTX Magnatec 10Wx30. New jugs says full synthetic! Noack 6.9 iirc.

Btw, any oil in 2.4 L GDI Hyundai gets dark quickly. We have one of those. Same any oil in other MPFI engines stays nice & clean. darkness is the gift of gdi.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Another good option for you would be Castrol GTX Magnatec 10Wx30. New jugs says full synthetic! Noack 6.9 iirc.

Btw, any oil in 2.4 L GDI Hyundai gets dark quickly. We have one of those. Same any oil in other MPFI engines stays nice & clean. darkness is the gift of gdi.

Magnatec 5w30 is the best oil I've tried in my Kia 2.4 so far

Originally Posted by SlavaB

My Kia with the same 2.4 turns ANY oil black before 1000 miles, has to do with GDI not the oil

????

The 2.4 GDI in my 2013 Kia Optima has 5,000 on the oil change, and it is still a nice medium brown color..??

Originally Posted by Linctex

????

The 2.4 GDI in my 2013 Kia Optima has 5,000 on the oil change, and it is still a nice medium brown color..??

The color on the dipstick doesn't count.
Pull the drain plug and watch the real one
smile.gif

I dont use Castrol at all. I find their advertising insulting and silly, they try to pass themselves off as better than they are. At least more expensive than it should be.

????

My girlfriend's 2013 Sonata is black shortly after an oil change. She does very short trips so it gets done every 3 months (less than 2k) with cheap conventional at the garage so we have documentation if we need to use the extended warranty on rod bearing failure.

My friend changes oil all day long and says most of the Hyundai and Kias he changes oil on are black on the dipstick before and sometimes even after an oil change. It seems to be the way the GDI engines are.

Last edited:

????

The color on the dipstick doesn't count.
Pull the drain plug and watch the real one
smile.gif

It's always darker when it's drained out into the pan. You know it's really dark when it's black on the dipstick, but people keep saying color doesn't matter. My opinion is still if it's that dark it looks black on the stick then it's overdue, unless it's a diesel or GDI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back