Where did my thread go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday i made a thread about hollowing out a catalytic converter. I put it in the automotive general topics section. Now i cannot find my thread. I looked in my profile to see if it had been moved to another section but it doesnt even show up as a thread i made. Did it get deleted?

I imagine that it was deleted because tampering with federally mandated emission equipment is illegal and the board owners would not want to be implicated (however unlikely).

Me saying I have gutted my catalytic converters - ok.

Me asking how to gut my catalytic converters - not ok.

Expect a visit from the Fed's soon!
57.gif

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I imagine that it was deleted because tampering with federally mandated emission equipment is illegal and the board owners would not want to be implicated (however unlikely).

Me saying I have gutted my catalytic converters - ok.

Me asking how to gut my catalytic converter a - not ok.

This.

I see. I just wish i got a notice of thread deletion with an explanation. I dont mind if it gets deleted as long as im alerted.

Originally Posted by joegreen
I see. I just wish i got a notice of thread deletion with an explanation. I dont mind if it gets deleted as long as im alerted.

Just be glad you're not banned. I don't think mods have the time to chit chat with every poster that gets a post removed. And, really, does something that obvious need an explanation?

Actually if the vehicle you were asking about was the 1978 its a non issue. Cats were in their infancy at that that time and used coated pellets that failed at a staggering rate and sometimes a new cat was not available for quite some time.
There was a directive in that era up to 82 IIRC that it was legal to hollow it, install an other illegal test pipe if the part was not available due to shortage or the car was owned by military personal going abroad.
Asking how to do it is a fair question in this case and those old cats could not be just bashed out.

It could be for the 98 Ranger he has with the cracked frame. Plus I see a rusty muffler in the picture.

Originally Posted by joegreen
My 1998 ford ranger has a cracked frame. The various places i read about this repair online seem to be in two camps. One is to weld on a patch panel and the other is to not weld as it weakens the frame but to bolt on a patch panel instead.

full-55200-34929-img_20190801_071234124.jpg

Originally Posted by Trav
Actually if the vehicle you were asking about was the 1978 its a non issue. Cats were in their infancy at that that time and used coated pellets that failed at a staggering rate and sometimes a new cat was not available for quite some time.
There was a directive in that era up to 82 IIRC that it was legal to hollow it, install an other illegal test pipe if the part was not available due to shortage or the car was owned by military personal going abroad.
Asking how to do it is a fair question in this case and those old cats could not be just bashed out.

It was a 2000 Lexus ES300. Reason was he didn't want to pay $800 for 3 aftermarket cats.

It was a strange thread, several posters were in favor of hollowing them out and I was in the camp that it should be fixed or junked but got flak for it even though hollowing them out is illegal.

Still annoying when they disappear without notice. These types of threads always eventually run their course. There were also some tips in there on how to diagnose it.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Trav

It was a 2000 Lexus ES300. Reason was he didn't want to pay $800 for 3 aftermarket cats.

It was a strange thread, several posters were in favor of hollowing them out and I was in the camp that it should be fixed or junked but got flak for it even though hollowing them out is illegal.

Still annoying when they disappear without notice. These types of threads always eventually run their course. There were also some tips in there on how to diagnose it.

True, it is a bit much when threads are deleted without any explanation. Many things could be consider emission tampering.

As others have noted tampering with emission systems is illegal.

Forum rules snip: "You agree that you will not upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any content on the Website that is unlawful.."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back