How many people are running oil filters for multiple intervals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like there are a lot of people running Fram ultras for multiple intervals, just curious who are and what filter your using? I've always changed the filter at every oil change but thought about switching to a better filter and running it twice.

I'm keeping fram ultra for at least one more (second) 5K run on my civic. Thinking of doing 3rd run as well but we shall see

Oil filters are cheap and easy to change. I can't see the sense of not changing it out with every oil change. Why contaminate a new oil change with dirty oil contained in the old filter? That's like going number 2 and not wiping.

I am doing that right now on both my cars, oil at 3k and filter at 6k.
Both engines are fairly tough on the oil in terms of shearing and fuel dilution, so i change the oil at 3k
Regardless of the time it takes me to drive those 3k, as both oils have a TBN of around 11.
However the filter is barely run in at 3k.

Last edited:
I run Fram Ultras for two OCI's in my 08 Jeep. It gets 6k OCI's because of its lifetime warranty, and 6k is nothing on the Ultra. I've thought about running 3 OCI's, and I may do that in the future.

I use one MC filter for each of my 10K OCIs. I try to get as much old oil out as I can. I could never intentionally leave several OZ of old oil in an engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by billt460
Oil filters are cheap and easy to change. I can't see the sense of not changing it out with every oil change. Why contaminate a new oil change with dirty oil contained in the old filter?

Sure. Except that there is ALWAYS a quantity of oil left in the engine. Yes, the filter holds some, but the engine holds more.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Sure. Except that there is ALWAYS a quantity of oil left in the engine. Yes, the filter holds some, but the engine holds more.

I agree. But why add even more if you don't have to, by not changing out a dirty filter that only costs a few bucks, and takes all of 2 minutes to change?

Originally Posted by Corollaman
It seems like there are a lot of people running Fram ultras for multiple intervals, just curious who are and what filter your using? I've always changed the filter at every oil change but thought about switching to a better filter and running it twice.

I'm doing this in both of my cars.

Honda recommends changing the filter every second change and that's what I've been doing for a decade.

I put very few miles on the BMW but feel I have to change the oil at least once in a while. The OEM cartridge filters are excellent quality and I don't feel bad about leaving them on for at least 2 changes. They come out clean and in beautiful condition.

30k on a single can style filter sounds very odd. Is this a new thing?
BTW doublehaul, why such a thick oil in a new toyota engine when they keep speccing lower viscosities?

I can see the points on both sides of the fence. I just prefer to change the filter at every change.

Going to do this for the first time ever. 07 Silverado Classic, 106K, 4.8.

Fram synthetic filter supposedly good for 20K. I go by the OLM which always comes in @ 5K.

Plan on doing at least 3 oil changes without changing the filter. We'll see if I can stick to it.

I did when I used Amsoil filter and changed oil every 5k. If I were using a Fram Ultra or that top of the line Wix, I would go 10k on those. Now I change every time and use regular Toyota OEM if I go 5K. If I go 3K OCI, I leave the regular filter on for 6K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back