Severe service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much great info. Thank you all. I will switch it to a full synthetic in 5w20 and stick with the 5,000. Time for a trip to Walmart.

At only 5,000 miles (not hard to do with this Venerable 4.6 liter engine) -

I'd skip synthetic and just use what ever is cheap or rebate for 5,000 miles.

No synthetic needed at all.

Where did you find a 2004 Panther body with only 24,000 miles on it?!?!!?!?

My local paper is where I found it. Some guy whos dad had passed and it was driven to church on sundays and sat in his garage.

Originally Posted by BigShug681

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by blupupher
Stick with 5w-20 and 5,000 miles, why, because my opinion matters as much as everyone elses (not much at all).

Seriously, seems a lot of thin hate lately with absolutely no proof of any issues with it.
And the argument that "it was originally spec'ed for 5w-30" is not a valid argument, maybe engineers found that 5w-20 is a better oil for it (since 5w-20 was not around in abundance when the 4.6 modular was designed). And yes, CAFE played a part in it, but not all. I am still looking for the millions of 2v modular motors with engine failure due to 5w-20 being used.

This engine and engine family gets 5W20 on cheapo bulk in fleet use and the idle time in the desert is a lot more than the OP is stating for his vehicle. Then to top it off they are then immediately thrown into WOT after hours of idle.

I worked at a prison for a little over a year and we had a few crown Vic's that were used to patrol the perimeter of the complex, 24 hours a day they idled around, never exceeding 5 mph and never shut off not even during refueling, I'm unsure what oil they used but in my time there they only put around 600 miles on them

I worked at a prison for almost 26 years until I retired and our perimeter vehicles used recycled oil and they ran slowly or idled 24/7 except when they were taken off line for maintenance or repairs and I don't remember any of the vehicles ever having engine trouble. We did run some crown vics but mostly full size pickup trucks. I don't know what viscosity they ran though.

Originally Posted by mrjlube
My local paper is where I found it. Some guy whos dad had passed and it was driven to church on sundays and sat in his garage.

Wow what a great find!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back