Pour out the filter before second use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to start doing (2) 5k runs on my moms car on a fram ultra. In the past I've been doing 5k on supertech synthetic and supertech filter. I want to stick with the supertech oil but start doing the ultra every other oil change.

For any of you that run multiple oci's on 1 filter, are you unscrewing the filter and dumping out the old oil every time? Or are you just leaving it in place? I'm inclined to just leave it in place since its fairly messy removing it.

FWIW the car is a dodge journey 2.4L

If I were to go through the trouble of removing it, it goes in the trash. I've done all the work to change it, the gasket isn't as likely to seal properly (o-ring in my case) so I'm likely to develop a leak...

And the only thing I've saved is $5?

Preposterous...

The clean side is the threads in the center. if you drain inverted then not going to contaminate anything.

However for filters with antidrainback valve, you will be lucky to get out more than half the oil. Filters without that valve, you might get out 3/4's s of the oil. I have done it and there were no leaks and no damage of the engine.

Rod

Don't remove it - you risk messing up the gasket.

Waiting for the comments about why you shouldn't use a filter for multiple oil changes....

Leave it alone...
Like others have said, if you remove it, replace it.

I am starting to do this. It hurts... But I am getting used to it.

Originally Posted by Astro14
If I were to go through the trouble of removing it, it goes in the trash. I've done all the work to change it, the gasket isn't as likely to seal properly (o-ring in my case) so I'm likely to develop a leak...

Preposterous...

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sometimes people carry the, "penny wise, dollar foolish" mantra to new levels.
33.gif

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
No, I leave the filter alone. A half quart of oil isn't going to hurt.

I agree. Taking the filter off is an unnecessary chance to develop a leak.

I've been leaving the filter on for 2 oil change intervals in my Accord (just as Honda recommends) for a decade. Works fine.

I would drain the oil from the filter because you contaminate the new oil if you don't. And you need to change the oil more frequently. This defeats the whole purpose of saving on a new filter.

as someone who does multiple oil changes while using the same filter (motorcycle/scooter) I leave the filter alone! it is properly seated & sealed so it stays until I am ready to change the filter...

btw...rationale for multiple oil changes (shorter oci): motorcycle transmissions shear oil viscosity & the volume of oil in the scooter is less than 1 qt and I feel additives get used up with the higher rpm's and thermal damage

Last edited:
This is where a cartridge filter has an advantage for those concerned with the oil that remains in the filter when doing an oil change. A cartridge filter can be removed, inspected, and used again. No wondering if the media is torn, loaded up, etc.

Regarding a spin on filter, if I'm going to go through the bother to remove it, I'll replace it with a new filter.

It doesn't matter much.
If you don't empty it, the new oil will be polluted with slightly more used oil---but you'll need slightly less new oil.
If you do empty it, and don't do something stupid, the gasket is unlikely to leak upon reinstallation.
As ragtoplvr pointed out, a functional ADBV makes spin-ons tricky to drain.
I usually drained them.

Originally Posted by Astro14

Preposterous...

That's Right!
cheers3.gif

Remove it equals replace it.

Trying to use it for multiple oil changes? Go ahead and do it if you want, it's your vehicle. I wouldn't bat an eye at using some filters to their specified limit.

If you are just trying to freshen up the oil between those times no harm in leaving it in place.

But for 8-10 bucks? Just change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back