1kr-fe Used Oil analsis, Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI all, i have been spending the last week trying to understand why the silicon is at 17ppm. first thought as dirt/sand, I have took the air box off and the car die with in 1 second, so i don't think it is a leak in the breathers. i have a had a look at the air box and it has two small holes but they are perfectly round and are before the filter. no cracks in air box. I am trying to figure out where the extra silicon is coming from. if you can impart any knowledge on UOL as i am new to this carry on. I have read that it can come from,dirt water pump sealant or a few other bits but they all were for new cars, is there any other source of it. Thanks for all your help

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 42
Si is generally dirt or sealant- if your air filter & associated plumbing is good, I would run a couple short oil changes & test it again-I bet it comes down.

What work has been done on the engine in last 20K miles?

What mileage was your OCI over?

In most cases, dirt in the engine shows up as increased silicon and increased wear metals. Depending upon OCI mileage, the iron does not look bad.

car is new to use me, and the owner so i cant tell for sure, it has an electric water pump so it is unlikely to be change frequently and casing/ pully doesn't look new

Last edited:
Additives would show as Si if this was a Virgin Oil Analysis? Not sure of the mileage....

Welcome to BITOG!

Use a good quality air filter. If you have one of those K&N performance filters that require light oiling, ditch it! Are you in a dusty environment? How often do you normally change the air filter? Is there a film of dirt on the inside of the tubing on the clean side of the airflow? If so, wipe it down (be careful not to damage the MAF sensor).

Ray

17ppm is not a high number. I wouldn't worry much on a single analysis result. If it trends up then you can go from there.

Some oils have silicon added as a anti-foaming agent.

Thanks again, would the anti-foaming still be present in the oil after 13000km, that was how long the oil was in last oil change and I don't think it will be getting any shorter. I have had a look and the airbox back to the butterfly valve which is the throttle is spotless, like my greasey hand are the by far the dirties thing. The air filter is the standard white paper one and the seal is good. The area the car is driving in is a fine to coarse loamy soil type( had to look it up so IL post it here 40% sand 40% slit and 20% clay) The car is driven is a I'm most likely doing another oil ansylis with the next oil change. I have/had no clue what the oil that was in it was.

Last edited:
Forgot to add that bit in when I edit the last comment "Car is driven a mix of infeqently hard mon-fri small bit of town(10km) and then maybe 50-100km on the weekends"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back