CBD oil and my dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dog is 10 years old and is 72 pounds.
Awhile back he started walking with a from left leg limp.
He could not hop up on the couch or bed in one leep anymore.
He struggled to get up and did not want to chase a ball anymore.

I took him to the Vet and they found nothing wrong.
He's old and thats that they said.

I found a CBD oil made just for dogs.
2 weeks of the recommended dose twice a day for his size and I have a new dog.

No more limp and slow walking,he bounces now like a pup.
Hops up on the bed or couch in one leep.

He now brings the ball to me and wants to chase it.
It's amazing

[Linked Image]

Just kidding!

Last edited:
From what I have seen they are usually in a dropper and it is a liquid. The ones for people you drop in your mouth and swallow, maybe for an animal you do something similar? Its legal here but I haven't looked into it.

As an old timer I have the usual knee and joint pains. I believe the CBD oil doesn't have any THC and would like to try it but alas my employer does random testing for drugs and I can't take the risk of the CBD possibly not being pure and putting my livelihood in jeopardy. I suppose I can get the doc to prescribe me oxy instead.

i love dogs. but its not a good idea for me to have one. i live right next to a very busy street. iam happy your dog is doing better.

Originally Posted by sloinker
As an old timer I have the usual knee and joint pains. I believe the CBD oil doesn't have any THC and would like to try it but alas my employer does random testing for drugs and I can't take the risk of the CBD possibly not being pure and putting my livelihood in jeopardy. I suppose I can get the doc to prescribe me oxy instead.

Or you can just take Alpha-Lipoic Acid it is a more potent anti-inflammatory.

My little Chihuahua is getting arthritis in his rear legs... There are websites like "WebMD" that give a lot of useful information about interaction and effectiveness for "non-traditional" therapies for humans but, I don't know of any good information for dogs. Does anyone know of a good site that gives sound medical advice? The sites I've stumbled upon seem to have a lot of quack information.

OP, what is the name of the CBD oil for dogs? I can't touch the stuff due to 3 random drug tests per year so, my wife would probably have to administer it. Nonetheless, I don't want little Linus to suffer.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

My little Chihuahua is getting arthritis in his rear legs... There are websites like "WebMD" that give a lot of useful information about interaction and effectiveness for "non-traditional" therapies for humans but, I don't know of any good information for dogs. Does anyone know of a good site that gives sound medical advice? The sites I've stumbled upon seem to have a lot of quack information.

Maybe you could try a non-traditional vet? My cattledog tore an ACL 3 months ago and our normal vet recommended a very invasive surgery or live a life of diminished ability on anti-inflamatories. Found a holistic vet who's doing acupuncture, laser, and diet with nutrients specific to ligament healing. Too early to see much change but hopeful for a better recovery.

Any internet advice might not be quackery but won't be specific to your dog's needs. Good luck getting him help.

In all seriousness OP is the CBD oil for dogs a topical or oral supplement?
Originally Posted by spasm3
[Linked Image]

Just kidding!

In all seriousness OP, is the CBD oil for dogs a topical or oral supplement? I have an aging Shepard with arthritis, i would be interested in trying it with him, do you have a product link?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fawteen
We just add a daily dose of glucosamine to their diet. At 12 years old they have no problems getting around.

They (who are they?) might have no problems getting around if they'd not had the glucosamine at all. No way to know but don't stop now.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
We just add a daily dose of glucosamine to their diet. At 12 years old they have no problems getting around.

They (who are they?) might have no problems getting around if they'd not had the glucosamine at all. No way to know but don't stop now.

You know very well that he is talking about his dogs.

Good advise, I started taking "Old" people pills as I call them when I was about 35. I only take them as needed.

Originally Posted by marine65
My dog is 10 years old and is 72 pounds.
Awhile back he started walking with a from left leg limp.
He could not hop up on the couch or bed in one leep anymore.
He struggled to get up and did not want to chase a ball anymore.

I took him to the Vet and they found nothing wrong.
He's old and thats that they said.

I found a CBD oil made just for dogs.
2 weeks of the recommended dose twice a day for his size and I have a new dog.

No more limp and slow walking,he bounces now like a pup.
Hops up on the bed or couch in one leep.

He now brings the ball to me and wants to chase it.
It's amazing

Ask the vet about Doggie glucosamine, might be a better and cheaper option. Personally I have done a very extensive medium/long term 9 month daily CBD treatment program for pain control, and I can say for me it did work. So, I'm not against giving it to your dog, I'm just saying it is very common for pet owners to give elderly dogs glucosamine. This is the first I have heard of CBD for dogs. If it works for him I'm happy to hear of this, my Pitbull is getting close to your dogs age.

Originally Posted by sloinker

lol, Opiates won't do anything for your pains except mask them for a while, then you will build a tolerance and need an increase, this is where the problem lies. Opiates merely block "Some" nerve pain at the base of your skull before they get to your brain's pain receptor inputs. As your tolerance to Opiate builds, your chemical dependency to Opiate increases.

I would strongly suggest that you try this, "Glucosamine/Chondroitin", buy at Costco, for at least 3 weeks and see if that makes a difference, I'll be willing to bet it will. Opiate's will do nothing for your aching joints! Infact studies have shown exactly the opposite Opiates will make you hurt worse when you stop taking them, so they say...

Originally Posted by spasm3
In all seriousness OP is the CBD oil for dogs a topical or oral supplement?

In all seriousness OP, is the CBD oil for dogs a topical or oral supplement? I have an aging Shepard with arthritis, i would be interested in trying it with him, do you have a product link?

I believe it would be oral, doggies= furry, they are describing it as "Oil" which typically is a reference to Simpson Oil, Rick Simpson If I recall correctly developed this method. You would not want CBD Oil on your dogs fur!

Now for Human use, Topical by all means is an old school Mexican Arthritic solution made with herb and rubbing alcohol. I have never tried it, but a number of my Mexican friends say it is a common treatment for some elderly that live in rural area's. Just rub onto skin until it dries, follow up with clean alcohol so your not "Sticky" lol, they say it works!

all I can add is that my back pain seemed to be getting worse every year till I tried the CBD oil...i'm now able to do my job (home remodeling) with a whole lot less pain , many times no pain at all...i'm 64 years old now and in my profession you don't see many people that aren't hurting from this type of work ...in my case the CBD oil worked wonders and I have heard that dogs can benefit also,, the one thing I understand is the some meds and CBD oil don't mix...so check things out before you try it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back