recommendations for used car for longer drives/ reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for recommendations for a used car in the $3-4k range for running about and longer trips. I haven't owned a car in a dozen years, so I'd appreciate pointers on where to start looking. The trucks just use too much fuel for longer drives. Last car I owned was a '90 Deville, and while the power train was bullet proof, it started developing electrical issues after 225k miles(vats, 3 differing types of alternators used the same model year, etc.). Still got 27-28mpg highway. Maybe something with a 3.8 like a Grand Prix Gt or something? I don't care about make, just that it'd be reliable or relatively easy to replace parts to make it reliable. Suggestions?

Of course I'll say the usual picks - Camry, Accord. More so the Camry while dull, it's a pretty DIY friendly car(for the exception of plugs on the V6s). Avalons are the same thing with even softer suspension. If you're up to tinker around, maybe an older Subaru Outback/Legacy, for the exception of head gaskets and CV axles(all DIYable, engines come out easy for BHG service) wouldn't a bad choice once the head gaskets are replaced with the improved Fel-Pros.

But I also think a GM product with the 3800/4T60E wouldn't be a bad choice if you're already familiar with them. I'm sure there's quite a few Grand Prixes/Bonnevilles/Aleros/Regals/Park Avenues in your part of PA. A Ford Fusion wouldn't be bad, especially the 4-cylinder ones which have Mazda and Volvo genes.

You'll probably pay 2-3x for a Honda or Toyota as a 3.8 W Body in similar condition. You could probably get a nice one from the turn of the century for $2k. If OP is not to cool to drive one, then they are a much better value than a Subaru with blown head gaskets.

I would vote a Panther chassis FTW (Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, or Town Car)-capable of 25 MPG under the right conditions, fairly easy to work on, generally cheap tp buy. I drive the wheels off mine!

If you can keep a Renix Comanche / Cherokee running and driving, I don't think much else will be a challenge.

But a Panther would be a good reliable car. Not the best for MPG though.

A GM with 3.8 would be awesome. And they always seemed to get great mileage.

2nd gen Prius if you want fuel economy, just expect the battery replacement cost (i.e. $3k for a reman with new cells).

Corolla and Civics from the late 90s, Scion xA, tC, or if you want bigger car Camry, Buick Regal, etc. Stay away from V6 auto Honda / Acura and Ford Taurus before mid 2000s, Nissan with CVT, etc.

Originally Posted by umungus1122
I'm looking for recommendations for a used car in the $3-4k range for running about and longer trips. I haven't owned a car in a dozen years, so I'd appreciate pointers on where to start looking. The trucks just use too much fuel for longer drives. Last car I owned was a '90 Deville, and while the power train was bullet proof, it started developing electrical issues after 225k miles(vats, 3 differing types of alternators used the same model year, etc.). Still got 27-28mpg highway. Maybe something with a 3.8 like a Grand Prix Gt or something? I don't care about make, just that it'd be reliable or relatively easy to replace parts to make it reliable. Suggestions?

Nowadays, you will probably have to double your budget in order to find what you are looking for.

I just sold my 2004 hyundai sonata to my neighbor ,, it was an old company car I had from new ,, 300K and counting
I would buy another one with the 2.7 motor

keep clean oil in it and do your timing belts every 80 K bullet proof

I just sold my 2004 hyundai sonata to my neighbor ,, it was an old company car I had from new ,, 300K and counting
I would buy another one with the 2.7 motor

keep clean oil in it and do your timing belts every 80 K bullet proof

Whatever you can find in that price range that's been cared for and doesn't already have some ridiculous number of miles.
For that kind of coin, you should be buying condition and not brand or model.
In the current market, three or four grand doesn't give you a lot of freedom of choice. Buy the best one you can and forget which make or model you'd like to have.
You also needn't worry about any trucks in this price range, since any truck this cheap would have some immediate repair needs.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Stay away from V6 auto Honda / Acura and Ford Taurus before mid 2000s .....

I have a 2007 Accord V6 6MT. It has been quite reliable and I get reasonable mileage as well (35+ MPG Imperial on the highway at 120 Km/hr, about 29 MPG US at 75 MPH). I like the extra torque.

But I wouldn't sell it for $4,000 US.

Originally Posted by umungus1122

If you liked the DeVille, why not take a look at a Lexus LS400?

Way more reliable, more comfortable if anything and really perfect for long trips.

In the price range you are looking at you could get a Chevrolet Impala. I think they are pretty good and parts are reasonable. There are Malibu's out there that are fairly reasonable too. Honda's and Toyota's bring a little more money unless they are trashed.

In your price range, +4 on any full-size GM car with the 3.8L V/6 engine (Buick Le Sabre etc). They are very reliable, durable, inexpensive to maintain/repair, and a comfortable highway cruiser that gets surprisingly good fuel mileage of over 30 on the highway. There are plenty of well maintained mature-owned low mile examples still running around at fair prices. Find one that has already had the intake gaskets replaced and you are good to go.

How are the supercharged 3.8s in the GTP reliability wise? Looking at a nice one with 100k miles for just shy of $4k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back