WIX vs Mobil1 vs Amsoil vs Fram, what oil filter? Maxima 2009 3.5L VQ engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Currently using Amsoil SS 5w30 in my 2009 Maxima 3.5L with great results, smooth engine, no oil burn, smooth start and good MPG.

My current filter is Mobil1 extended performance M110a (Mobil1 calls for M108a, smaller filter, Nissan also calls for the smaller filter compared to the 3L Nissan engines).

My next oil change is due in 1.5K miles.

What is the BEST oil filter to use with the Amsoil oil? I have been hearing lately there are better options regarding oil filter (than the M1 filter).

Please advise

Thanks

Originally Posted by kschachn
Does anyone else think the word "best" should be on the censored list like the others?

01.gif

Depends on your OCI-if you're doing short ones, then any of them are good. If you're extending them, then Amsoil & Fram Ultra are better. But Wix & M1 aren't bad either.

What's wrong with Mobil 1 filter? I got 6 of them on clearance at Walmart for less than 2.00 and if I am not mistaking they claimed good for 15k OCI.

Originally Posted by tiger862
What's wrong with Mobil 1 filter? I got 6 of them on clearance at Walmart for less than 2.00 and if I am not mistaking they claimed good for 15k OCI.

Nothing wrong really.
M1 has synblend media rated at 99%@30 microns, Ultra is 99%@20 microns and fully synthetic.
Whatever makes you feel better
smile.gif

100% spun microglass way to go, since you are using amsoil oil, just run amsoil ea filter, or fram ultra if you want local.

The M1 filter is an excellent filter as are some others.

I think there are many excellent oils on the shelves of Walmart. No need to order from Amsoil. You can get oil just as good at Walmart.

Now for gear oils, ATF, CVT, I buy Amsoil.

When you ask for oil or filter advice, you need to mention intended OCI and if cost is a big issue.

If you are only going to do 5K OCI, then NAPA or Supertech would be fine.

The Mobil 1 filters are a glass/cellulose blend.
If you are going to run a premium oil like Amsoil, it would be best to run a filter with a full synthetic microglass media. Amsoil filters or Fram Ultra would be good.
Ive been running Amsoil 0w40 with the Amsoil filter on the 3.5 in our Quest with no complaints.

Fram Ultra has better efficiency than Amsoil filters for less money and are more easily acquired, why pay more for less that may be more difficult to get your hands on?

Fram Ultra. Hands down best bang for the buck. Mobil 1 oil filter is NOT a 100% synthetic media filter like the Fram Ultra is.

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Hello,
Currently using Amsoil SS 5w30 in my 2009 Maxima 3.5L with great results, smooth engine, no oil burn, smooth start and good MPG.

My current filter is Mobil1 extended performance M110a (Mobil1 calls for M108a, smaller filter, Nissan also calls for the smaller filter compared to the 3L Nissan engines).

What is the BEST oil filter to use with the Amsoil oil? I have been hearing lately there are better options regarding oil filter (than the M1 filter).

Please advise

Thanks

Why not just get the Nissan oil filter???

Originally Posted by David1
Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Hello,

Please advise

Thanks

Why not just get the Nissan oil filter???

I do not know about his engine but my nissan says 5k change oil filter change. I take it theirs are a 5k oil filter then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back