M1 AFE 0w-30. Is it all that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jongies3
Ran this 10,000 miles in my Tacoma and had a UOA, didn't shear out of grade at all so it's very robust.

Sorry but those 3.4L engines don't really sheer any brand of oil. They are extremely durable engines

Low power output for the size, no timing chain and oil cooler. Its been proven over and over with oil reports.

Not the biggest fan of M1 0w30. It does handle high temps well and would do great in turbo applications, but the VII's in it can cause it to drop viscosity in some applications.

Originally Posted by buster
Not the biggest fan of M1 0w30. It does handle high temps well and would do great in turbo applications, but the VII's in it can cause it to drop viscosity in some applications.

Cant that be said for any modern oil using VII's? Whats special about AFE?

Originally Posted by ad244
Originally Posted by buster

Cant that be said for any modern oil using VII's? Whats special about AFE?

Yeah pretty much.

Even if it dropped viscosity, I'd think this would be a good alternative for a car which specs 0w20 if someone didn't feel comfortable with a 20 weight. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Even if it dropped viscosity, I'd think this would be a good alternative for a car which specs 0w20 if someone didn't feel comfortable with a 20 weight. Thoughts?

Likely true. It's a good oil.

Lots of talk about M1 0W30 achieving its goal through VI. As likely that It is achieved through its base oils.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Running PP 5W30 as of a few weeks ago as PB had a nice sale and rebate offer for it (still waiting on the rebate) and I was a little disturbed when I drained the M1 10W30 HM out.
I can't swear that the oil came out of the car looking like this as I wipe off my drain pan well enough but don't sterilize it....but, I noticed a fair amount of scummy grey/black stuff floating on top of the old oil when I went to pour it into the empty 5l PP jug.
Have never seen anything like this before, would have taken a pic but I was blocking my daughter's car in the garage and wanted to finish up ASAP. Maybe looked a little bit like when you are trying to stir a powdered drink mix into water or milk and some of it bunches up and floats on top. Definitely was not just bubbles and also struck me as stuff that should have gotten filtered...

This was also the first OCI in which I noticed some signs of oil usage, just a bit but it seemed to be a new phenomenon. I would guess the oil and engine were both just fine, but I'm not sure I'll use 10W30 HM again...I'm sure it's possible there was some "cleaning" going on, but I can't imagine my engine was really dirty after a steady diet of M1 5W30 and some other good synth oils. I still have the filter, maybe I should figure out how to cut it open and see what's in there?
I will definitely keep an eye on the dipstick for signs of consumption in the future and will be prepared to snap some pics of the PP 5W30 when it comes out in in case it looks "funny".

Sorry for extending this tangent, but I wanted to ask a question related to me seeing this "scum" in my drain pan.
Am I right in thinking that oil will generally have a milky look when it is contaminated with coolant?
This seems extremely unlikely to have happened in my case as I actually noticed a slight loss of oil on the dipstick as opposed to a rising lubricant level and also have not had to add an unusual amount of coolant lately...but, this popped into my mind and I wanted to ask the question. Whatever I saw in my drain pan was quite dark....honestly, could have been some dirt that got into the pan between OCIs. I wipe the pan out well after I use it, but I sure can't say it's even remotely spotless when I put it away waiting for the next change. Could have also dropped something into it as it sits below my tool shelves in the garage when not in use.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I keep my pan in a plastic trash can sized bag.
Have you used any additives?

Good idea on the bag...although I am 100% sure I would find myself needing a trash bag while I was in the garage one day and would take the pan out of it and never replace it.
;^)
I don't think I used any additives in that OCI....if I did, it would have been a small amount of Hy-Per Lube ZRA. I bought a bottle after reading some of Molakule's posts referencing it piqued my interest, can't say that I feel like I NEED it in anything and my memory is that I haven't used any in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back