Ford MTX75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what the general consensus is of the best or most suitable oil for these gearboxes? I've heard everything from a a low viscosity ATF to 75w90 GL-4.

Wife is using it as a daily at the moment and I will be using it on weekends and evenings for fast road driving.

Mine has an open diff and is mated to a Duratec 30 with 226bhp/204lb-ft.

I have Castrol Syntrans FE 75w (GL-4), Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus 75W-90 (GL-4/GL-5 & MT-1) and Comma MVATF Plus (Maxlife Alternative) to hand.

Cheers Chaps,

I think I'll give the Castrol Syntrax Universal 75w90 a try. I have enough for two changes if the existing drain comes out a bit grubby.

The MTX-75 in my 2014 Focus calls for a 75W GL4 MTF....I do see that earlier versions called for 75w90 so I'm not sure if anything has changed inside the gear box?

I did a D&R on the OE fluid at 26K using Volvo's 75W GL4 fluid that met the Ford spec. (Volvo used the MTX-75 in some models when they were part of Ford)….it worked well. I'll probably use Ravenol's 75W GL4 MTF next time because it claims to meet the spec. and is a good bit less $$ than Ford OE on Amazon.

I wonder how the Royal Purple 75w90 that I got at the recent AA 'CLEARANCE' would work in the MTX-75?

I changed out the gearbox oil yesterday and replaced it with Castrol Syntrax Universal 75w90. I shifted through the gears on the drive with the front wheels in the air and it didn't seem any different to before. I'll ask my Wife later if she's noticed any difference.

The oil that I drained out was dark but reasonably clean. I've drained a lot worse.

I thought the 75w recommendation was for the Getrad 6 speed and Volvo MMT6 gearboxes only?

EDIT: Just spoke to my Wife, she says it feels the same and she has no idea why I even bothered. Seems like a job well done to me!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back