Anybody Tint their entire front windshield ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? This is legal in some places?
crazy.gif

In the UK you aren't allowed to have any of your front windows tinted, side windows included. Having got tinted windows on the rear of my Volvo and knowing how much it reduces the visibility, especially at night I cannot believe anywhere would allow this.

Originally Posted by meep
!!!! Don't Do It !!!! it plays he#$%^& with polarized sunglasses. You finally buy a decent set of effective glare-killing shades and all you see from the drivers seat is rainbows. Avoid front tint, even if it's perfectly clear.

Thanks for the info.

I didn't know that.

Ceramic tint doesn't have to be 'dark'. It's primary function is reduce heat, glare, UV penetration, and so on, not for privacy. Our son got his windows tinted at either 35% or 50% and ceramic on the windshield. The windshield is effectively 'clear' or certainly much darker than factory tint. The factory windshield has the tinted portion along the top that's darker than the ceramic "tint" he had applied.

Originally Posted by meep
!!!! Don't Do It !!!! it plays he#$%^& with polarized sunglasses. You finally buy a decent set of effective glare-killing shades and all you see from the drivers seat is rainbows. Avoid front tint, even if it's perfectly clear.

Stay away from those. Get current tech. I use Rudy Project impact X2 photochromic, and it doesnt cause any issues at all. If you use old school like Oakley, yeah, its gonna look like staring through a rainbow, and your HUD wont work anyways. Avoid.

https://www.rudyprojectna.com/produ...yqIVWFQTRt06D8e9RZL6Z9A0x7RoCnhgQAvD_BwE

Very illegal pretty much everywhere, though I have an approx 6" tint strip at the top of my windshield and I love it. Reason I got it is the sun visor on my 2010 Escape is messed up and doesn't stay in place, so it flops around and hits me in the face if I take a turn LOL and it was easier to buy some cheap tint and pay my coworker a few slices of pizza to install it. You'll think we're crazy but we actually put it on the OUTSIDE and it works just fine and seems to be holding up.

Originally Posted by dogememe
You'll think we're crazy but we actually put it on the OUTSIDE and it works just fine and seems to be holding up.

Do you get much rain in your area?
If not, that's probably why it's lasting so long.

I have my front windshield coated with a ceramic clear tint
It's really not a tint it's for heat reduction and it works great
Reduces heat around 50%. Its 94 here today and my dash is warm but not what I'd call hot. I highly recommend it

friend tinted his new explorer including the tailights and front windshield. Every time i ride in it at night it really dark in the cabin . whoever did the job was pretty good as i can see no bubbles or flaws.

Front windshield? As far as I know vehicles only have one windshield...the rest are just called windows...

Originally Posted by grampi
Front windshield? As far as I know vehicles only have one windshield...the rest are just called windows...

Good catch....

🤣🤣🤣🤣
To funny ðŸ‘
You got me on that one !

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Good catch....

Oddly enough for my Honda the rear window is called a rear windshield, which made it difficult to find the first time I went looking for a part for the trim. There was no "windshield" in the listing, but a "front windshield" and "rear windshield":

[Linked Image]

AH HAH !!!
I'm vindicated !!!
I'm sticking to my story 🤔🤔🤣🤣

It's a southern thing I think

Originally Posted by Ws6

Stay away from those. Get current tech. I use Rudy Project impact X2 photochromic, and it doesnt cause any issues at all. If you use old school like Oakley, yeah, its gonna look like staring through a rainbow, and your HUD wont work anyways. Avoid.

Weird, as I owned a $400 pair of designer sunglasses from a local hipster optician and a $100 pair of equally hipster Warby Parkers and the "cheapie" Warby Parkers didn't interfere with me seeing my navigation/MFD LCD in the car. The fancy glasses with Essilor lenses blocked me from seeing the screen - which on this car is the main hub as the trip computer, critical warnings, navigation, audio and HVAC. Both glasses are polarized.

I recently had to get my windshield replaced, I requested a shaded one. Safelite installed a another Pilkington with a tint band, my car didn't have one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Good catch....

Oddly enough for my Honda the rear window is called a rear windshield, which made it difficult to find the first time I went looking for a part for the trim. There was no "windshield" in the listing, but a "front windshield" and "rear windshield":

[Linked Image]

I guess Honda plans on their vehicle owners to drive fast in reverse...

I thought the lingo in the trade was to call the back windshield the back lite. That's what I've been calling the back glass.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by Ws6

Weird, as I owned a $400 pair of designer sunglasses from a local hipster optician and a $100 pair of equally hipster Warby Parkers and the "cheapie" Warby Parkers didn't interfere with me seeing my navigation/MFD LCD in the car. The fancy glasses with Essilor lenses blocked me from seeing the screen - which on this car is the main hub as the trip computer, critical warnings, navigation, audio and HVAC. Both glasses are polarized.

I recently had to get my windshield replaced, I requested a shaded one. Safelite installed a another Pilkington with a tint band, my car didn't have one.

Money isn't always spent on the tech, and is sometimes going to name, style, etc. That's why I wear Rudy Project. They are impact rated (they double as my shooting glasses), they darken in just a dozen seconds or so, and they are like looking at the world through HD. No distortion, etc. like I get from other glasses. When I was using Laser Racing Red lenses in them, I was able to turn my Aimpoint's down 1 setting from where I ran them without the glasses. Their lenses actually do what they say, regarding performance alteration with filtering various bands of light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back