Touch Screens Unsafe? Navy Says Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the automotive industry follow the example of the US Navy, and move away from excessive reliance on touch screens?

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...uchscreen-controls-over-safety-concerns/

https://news.usni.org/2019/08/09/na...after-fleet-rejects-touchscreen-controls

...The U.S. Navy has decided to convert the touch screens installed on its destroyer fleet back to mechanical controls after the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) cited them in the fatal collision between the USS John S McCain and tanker Alnic MC in 2017. They were also referenced in the collision report released after the USS Fitzgerald collided with the ACX Crystal container ship....

...In addition to confusing how safety backups function, the navy found touch screen interfaces produced significantly more fatigue among crewmen. Ultimately, sailors confessed to preferring mechanical controls by a wide margin and requested more commonality among ship designs. The Navy said it is already working on accomplishing that goal and will reinstall physical throttles and a traditional helm-control system over the next 18 to 24 months...

...Meanwhile, the automotive industry is on the cusp of installing larger touch screens with more functions embedded for drivers to play around with. Unlike the Navy, automakers can utilize vehicular user interfaces to make money via commercial partnerships, automotive apps, and personal data acquisition — so there's no incentive for them to walk it back...

...In the United States, the NHTSA has acknowledged distracted driving as a major issue but hasn't done much to identify problems inherent with modern-day user interfaces. ...

Let it be known that I'm all for larger touch screens.
thumbsup2.gif

....just as long as there aren't any installed in any of MY vehicles
(I've been lucky in avoiding them so far).

Depends on how it's used. Navy and personal cars are different animals. Sailors are always looking at instrumentation when on shift because that is their job. Modern conveniences for personal cars are supposed to make cars safer by integrating hands-free capabilities into cars. The touchscreens shouldn't be used while driving; but then again, neither should cell phones. I think the problem is the culture of drivers allowing themselves to be distracted is the problem and not an individual technology. Is eating or writing/reading while driving as, or less dangerous than cell phone or touchscreen use? I feel like this targeting a small part of the problem and not addressing the real issue. How to fix the distracted driving culture? Taking away touchscreens won't stop people from eating or doing makeup while driving.

Last edited:
Fine and dandy but having manual controls would not have prevented these accidents. The first step is to not get yourself into those situations to begin with. More training and testing is required.

I personally haven't seen any touch screens in cars, but I think I would hate them. How could you possibly use one aiming your finger at a spot on the screen driving down a bumpy road?... which is essentially a lot of roads in Michigan.

I never liked the linear controls on the radio in an old Chrysler I once had. I could never properly use them on a bumpy road as I could with rotary controls.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Fine and dandy but having manual controls would not have prevented these accidents. The first step is to not get yourself into those situations to begin with. More training and testing is required.

Maybe, maybe not...imagine a destroyer pitching wildly in rough seas, and trying to put your finger on that precise spot on the screen, while not touching any other part of the screen....versus resting your hand on a console and pushing a button or throwing a switch...quite different in turbulence I assure you.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I personally haven't seen any touch screens in cars, but I think I would hate them. How could you possibly use one aiming your finger at a spot on the screen driving down a bumpy road?... which is essentially a lot of roads in Michigan.

Yup, not a fan of touch screen in my Charger, or any other vehicle for that matter, for the reason you stated above, as well as the fact that I'm a bit OCD and seeing finger prints on the screen drives me nuts.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by PimTac

Maybe, maybe not...imagine a destroyer pitching wildly in rough seas, and trying to put your finger on that precise spot on the screen, while not touching any other part of the screen....versus resting your hand on a console and pushing a button or throwing a switch...quite different in turbulence I assure you.

Point taken. My experience on the seas was long ago before touch screens were even thought of.

I'm surprised they didn't have backup throttle controls. Naval ships usually have redundancy built in. Still, they got themselves into a situation they should not have been in to begin with.

As for automotive touchscreens, I don't use mine while driving. It's there for information but I know that my eyes need to be on the road. Any distraction is dangerous whether it's fiddling with the touchscreen or changing the temperature on the climate control.

The newest generation of corporate jets, such as the Gulfstream G500 and G600 (brand new designs) use touch screens. A lot of time was invested in design and testing for accurate use in heavy turbulence. Size of the screen, size and position of the icons and hand-holds are specific requirements.

I've had only a few minutes time to sit and play with a G500 cockpit. But I've got to admit, it's incredibly easy to use. Furthermore, I'm of the opinion that it's far better than a huge array of tiny illuminated switches and associated troublesome wiring and connectors.

Last edited:
I'm curious how they manage hand position in turbulence.

With enough turbulence it won't matter which design your using.
coffee2.gif

The point is that staring at screens all through your shift is exhausting on the operator.
That's something an actual switch prevents.

I'm curious how they manage hand position in turbulence.

It's done by a textured surface on the side and behind the touchscreen. Fingers wrapped around the edge don't slip, as there is a hand-hold. Coupled with large icons, spaced far apart, and no difficult ones to reach.

You are staring at something whether it's a touchscreen or gauges and dials. It is tiring.

On the ship I was on, the watches were four hours long and were broken up into one hour shifts, helm and lookout. Believe me, after an hour at the helm in 30 foot following seas you were very happy to be relieved and take over on lookout.

It's likely a balance of mechanical and touch screens that provides optimal experience.

A touch screen consolidated a sea of buttons in short order.

Didn't the auto makers go to touch screens because it's a lot cheaper? Actual physical controls, dials, buttons require more time/money/effort by engineers.

With touch screens, you just pay a low wage programmer to come up with an interface.

Give me my buttons and switches back. I can't stand touch screens in cars. It's impossible to change anything without taking your eyes off the road. With mechanical buttons and knobs, you can change any setting by feel and watch the road the entire time.

Originally Posted by Greggy_D
Give me my buttons and switches back. I can't stand touch screens in cars. It's impossible to change anything without taking your eyes off the road. With mechanical buttons and knobs, you can change any setting by feel and watch the road the entire time.

Very good point, especially with the complex systems that they are installing now.

I'm not going to believe anything the Navy states what is safe and not safe. I'm speaking from experience there is not a more hypercritical service. The Navy can't even get their leadership right.

I much prefer to use the steering wheel controls, voice recognition, and iDrive controller in my M235i and X1. My M340i loaner has a touchscreen as well as the other controls but I never bother with it.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Didn't the auto makers go to touch screens because it's a lot cheaper? Actual physical controls, dials, buttons require more time/money/effort by engineers.

With touch screens, you just pay a low wage programmer to come up with an interface.

Programmers are not low wage when the entire software development cycle is considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back