At what point do you get upset at someone for not doing what they said?

Status
Not open for further replies.
unfortunately you didn't get the point. also, I'm not sure if the fact that your life is different from mine is for better.

and speaking of hair: every chain place I've been to are exactly the same - 5minutes, hair all over and the guy/gal looking at you waiting for the tip. I guess there are private owned places that are actually better but I haven't found one yet. again, people just don't care - that is the biggest problem these days. no one is gonna held them accountable - NO ONE.

Originally Posted by parshisa
unfortunately you didn't get the point. also, I'm not sure if the fact that your life is different from mine is for better.

and speaking of hair: every chain place I've been to are exactly the same - 5minutes, hair all over and the guy/gal looking at you waiting for the tip. I guess there are private owned places that are actually better but I haven't found one yet. again, people just don't care - that is the biggest problem these days. no one is gonna held them accountable - NO ONE.

Guys get th shaft on hair cuts cause the real money is when a girl gets a $200 perm.

Whenever I say I am going to do something I over estimate the time frame, and when I get it done early I come out looking like I am something amazing to actually get it done ahead of schedule. When I find a like-minded outfit to do a job for me, they get my continued business.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
This seems to happen a lot to me. I pay someone to do something and they say they will have it done by this day, but then it ends up taking much longer then they said. I feel like mechanics and such they take your job on then work on it, move onto the next thing and your job sits their 90 percent complete for 3 weeks. So then they have 10 other jobs they juggle and 10 other people breathing down their neck. Why do they do This? Why not just be upfront from the beginning? Hey I can take your job, but I got 10 other people in front of you so it might take a while.

Sure it might scare people off, but if you do what you say you're going to do, and do good work, you'll have so many customers you'll have to beat them off with a stick anyways.

Don't pay in advance any more. Change to a reputable mechanic.

Pay more and you'll get what you want. It's just that simple.

I had this issue with the BMW in my sig. Most mechanics who "specialize" in them run smaller shops.
Usually these shops are kinda run down, so they don't require the latest equipment to work on them.
Another benefit is the they'll charge you less than the fancier shops!

Downside is the job is usually half-done with missing fasteners, interior/exterior is dirty and there might be a scratch or two that magically appeared.
And who know's how hard the new apprentice "mechanic" was beating on my car during the "test drive".

I've been able to alleviate all those issues by using a better shop.
If they can't get the work done on time, I get a courtesy car (usually a much newer BMW).
Sure I have to pay more, but I won't be losing sleep at night worrying about what they broke/how much to fix/repair what they lost etc.
The extra cost is worth being able to sleep well at night.

Choose your battles wisely
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Whenever I say I am going to do something I over estimate the time frame, and when I get it done early I come out looking like I am something amazing to actually get it done ahead of schedule. When I find a like-minded outfit to do a job for me, they get my continued business.

Under-promise, over-deliver. It's the way to do things.

I've managed to get good work done over the years, not sure if I've been lucky or if I've just done enough DIY so as to keep the problem at bay.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Call daily or a few times per day till they get sick of hearing from you. Of course this is after the time line has expired.

This is also why I try to gauge the person's willingness to do the job in the first place. A good attitude goes a long way. Then checking out their reviews if applicable.

It depends what the matter is and how urgent said matter for how mad I'll be, if I even get mad.

IE: The place where I got my car's tints done has been taking their sweet time getting back to me about ordering a new rear window because they screwed up the defrost lines. No biggie, except now it's been 3 months without a call back and I'm starting to get [censored]. No strong words, yet, but if this starts going towards the colder months when I need defrost then I'll start to really complain.

In another light, AT&T screwed up on our PRI circuit at work and for months they kept sending out techs that broke stuff, couldn't even figure why there were there, or sent out the wrong techs (u-verse tech vs. fiber tech.) For 3 months they billed us without providing any or the wrong service and I basically told them to shove the bills where the sun doesn't shine and if they screw up one more time I'm cancelling. It takes multiple emails to our account manager or their "network engineers" to get any sort of information and I'm about to ask for a new account manager.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Smokescreen

Under-promise, over-deliver. It's the way to do things.

Agreed. In my last job my boss was the customer I had to satisfy. We'd promise a 25% improvement in outcomes but cautioned that it might take 2 years. Why 25%? Because a 25% improvement in outcomes in a major business area is worth a lot of effort. We'd often achieve that 25% improvement in 3 months, a 40% improvement in 6 months and a 75% improvement in 2 years.

We did that on several projects. Why did my boss let us get away with regular under promising? Because we didn't stop working for even better results when we reached the target.

And why did we promise less than we hoped to achieve? Because I didn't want my staff feeling bad if they were only able to achieve a 46% improvement when our objective was 50%. That wouldn't feel like a success to anyone. But 46% when you've promised 25% feels terrific. Under promise and over deliver is the name of the game.

I went through three plumbers before finally finding one who would fix a leak in the service line to my house.
Why did the first two promise to schedule a call-back and appointment, especially since they came out and looked a the job?
No idea.
The third guy came and looked and did the work and I paid him.

Whenever I hear this sort of bleat, I like to ask ''What do you do for a living ?''

And then, as we say here - Yeah, right !!!

Originally Posted by Silk
Whenever I hear this sort of bleat, I like to ask ''What do you do for a living ?''

And then, as we say here - Yeah, right !!!

Huh??

It's sad cause I'll pay whatever the place charges especially if they do what they say, i'll even throw in an extra twenty bucks as a tip. Most my jobs are small, and maybe that's why they get put on the back burner? Like $100-$400 dollar jobs. I guess I just have a different opinion about little jobs. Imo that's where the money is at! Get the job done in an hour or two, ship it out the door and collect the money and onto the next one.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
So what do you do as far as payment is concerned? Say you want to just stop by and take your stuff cause they're taking too long? I don't think I should have to pay. They didn't get the job done, regardless of whether or not they did any work.

You go in and work with him.
Ask why his timeline had dragged out.
Then, actually listen to his response.
Wait and think and consider whether it is a reasonable response.
Then, agree to mutually clear expectations around an adjusted delivery timeline and payment schedule.

In these delayed delivery type situations, my experience is that when people are approached reasonably and respectfully, they actually do want to work with customers.
Maybe the job got away from him, or his kid is sick, or a family member died. You just don't know.

I guess what I'm saying is, go in there and act like an adult.
Expect him to do the same.
You may be surprised how well it works out.

This is what I'll do. Thanks. There is no reason why something that he said would be done the same day should be dragged out 5 additional days and still no update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back