Fram Ultra Cartridge good for 30k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

4runner is absolutely awful to change the filter on...awful. Its out of warranty anyways...would a fram ultra cartridge be good for a 30,000 mile OCI? Running top shelf lube at 10k oci.

This way I can change the oil filter with the air filter say once a year when I do the diffs etc.

Maybe 20k. But 30k I would be worried extending it that long with 10k oil changes as well.

I still don't get the super long OCI trend, seems like marketing hype run amock.

If the engine starts eating components at say 8k into a 20K oci, that's a LOT of stuff for the filter to catch.

Oil/filters and the change aren't that bad as long as you do it yourself.

As for me, I'm not going above 7K oci on the Honda.

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
I still don't get the super long OCI trend, seems like marketing hype run amock.

If the engine starts eating components at say 8k into a 20K oci, that's a LOT of stuff for the filter to catch.

I have a hundred bucks you can have if you will push the next OCI past 7K and post up a pic to prove it.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke

I have a hundred bucks you can have if you will push the next OCI past 7K and post up a pic to prove it.

I change my 10qt sump f150 5.0@ 5k miles with full synthetic. I'll take you up on that for a hundy

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino

I change my 10qt sump f150 5.0@ 5k miles with full synthetic. I'll take you up on that for a hundy

8 qt sump?

If my Toyotas had the engineering the F150s do id be changing at 5k too. But they dont...so i won't.

Didn't post this up to start the 1000000000th debate on extending OCIs. Just curious to the Fram Ultras capacity on the cartridge filters. If this had a standard can style filter id do it in a heartbeat...and have many times on several vehicles.

Fram says 20k. They probably allow a safety factor knowing that some people will push it a few more thousand miles and in normal circumstances it would be fine, but an add'l 10k miles more than they advertise ? They'll never say it can do that much.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Just curious to the Fram Ultras capacity on the cartridge filters.

Ultra is rated for upto 20K. I wouldn't push it to 30K. Changing the filter every other 10K OCI is what makes more sense.

Originally Posted by Trav
I wouldn't even entertain doing that, your asking for it.

+1

Originally Posted by Ursatdx
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino

8 qt sump?

The 2018 & up takes 10qts with filter change, its been debated to death. My first change I put 8qts in, then 1/2 qt at a time until it was full. Full on the dipstick left me with two empty 5qt jugs.

How much driving do you do?

Ideal conditions should be 10k OCI. More than doable with a paper filter.

If you want 5k OCIs, change the oil at 5 and the filter at 10. The oil pan skid isn't bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Hey Guys,

4runner is absolutely awful to change the filter on...awful. Its out of warranty anyways...would a fram ultra cartridge be good for a 30,000 mile OCI? Running top shelf lube at 10k oci.

This way I can change the oil filter with the air filter say once a year when I do the diffs etc.

Answer is maybe. It sure is fun dropping that skid plate every time to change the cartridge, with all that entails, isn't it? But I digress!
smile.gif

I read a thread (couldn't find it again) about the FrU being plastic construction....it's rated for 20k and 30 wouldn't be unimaginable but I'd have to check condition before going beyond....I'm currently running an Amsoil unit in mine, it's a solid metal construction:
[Linked Image]

Rated for 15k, I'll run it at least that far.

(and yes, that's a small rust patch above the seam, part of the scratch right next to it from the manufacturing process. Not worried about it since it'll be submerged in oil soon...and it's the only rust spot I've found on any of the filters in the 6-pack)

Last edited:
I don't think any filter can go 30K miles safely. I wouldn't run any filter to 20K miles, let alone 30K miles. Your just risking your engine over it.

Short answer, no.

Long answer, it depends. In a clean engine that is not abused, I could see 30,000 miles being a safe mileage for the Ultra.
If I drove 15-20,000 miles a year and had a filter that was a PITB to change, I could see myself considering it.
I know there have been a few Fram Tough Guards run 20,000 miles and they were fine.
Quite a few Ultras (both cartridge and canister) run to over 20,000 miles and looked great.

IMO, do a 20,000 mile run and then check it, if it is fine, then run the next one 30,000.

Originally Posted by blupupher
... IMO, do a 20,000 mile run and then check it, if it is fine, then run the next one 30,000.
Unlike with spin-ons, you can check a used cartridge non-destructively, so there's also the option to put the same one back for another 10,000 miles IF it looks "fine" at 20,000.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by blupupher
... IMO, do a 20,000 mile run and then check it, if it is fine, then run the next one 30,000.
Unlike with spin-ons, you can check a used cartridge non-destructively, so there's also the option to put the same one back for another 10,000 miles IF it looks "fine" at 20,000.

Yeah, but the point is to not be doing filter changes since it is a pain on the OP vehicle.
Sure you could put the "old" one in for another 10,000 miles, or just put in a new one for 30,000 miles and be done with it for quite a while.

On my Santa Fe, it has a cartridge on the top, and while I said I would never use a filter for 2 changes, I am tempted to do so on this vehicle since I can easily inspect/reinstall it at the next change.

Fram Ultra is rated up to 20,000 miles. I know this rating allows a safety margin, but 30k is pushing it too far in my opinion. Sounds like you plan to keep this 4Runner long-term... you might get away with this practice in the long run, you might not. Feeling lucky?
You are doing 10k drain & fills, so just change the Fram Ultra filter every other oil change and you won't need to ask any more questions like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back