Pennzoil 4 stroke Marine oil not available in Canada anymore?

irv

Being as I am a Pennzoil fan boi, I was hoping this year, as I plan on winterizing my boat myself this fall, to use this oil but all I can find up here is 2 stroke Pennzoil oil.
I know I have seen it available in the past, I believe, but after doing a bunch of searching yesterday via the net, none could be found.

Guess I'll go the Merc or Quicksilver route instead if I have no choice but I am hoping someone might be able to help me out first?

This will be my first time doing my boat as I have always, since new, just taken it back from where I purchased it from as it is only 11 kms away and their rates, imo, were very reasonable but since I am now retired and have nothing but time on my hands, I figured I can save a few bucks by doing it myself.
(2007 Merc 90 H/P 4 stroke)

IMG_0384 (Large).JPG

I work at a US auto parts store and we carry Mystik now... the left over bottles of Pennzoil marine oil were re-stickered with the Mystik part number lol. That was about a year ago, and finally sold those two quarts a couple weeks ago. Clearly not a hot moving product!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by irv
Being as I am a Pennzoil fan boi, I was hoping this year, as I plan on winterizing my boat myself this fall, to use this oil but all I can find up here is 2 stroke Pennzoil oil.
I know I have seen it available in the past, I believe, but after doing a bunch of searching yesterday via the net, none could be found.

Guess I'll go the Merc or Quicksilver route instead if I have no choice but I am hoping someone might be able to help me out first?

This will be my first time doing my boat as I have always, since new, just taken it back from where I purchased it from as it is only 11 kms away and their rates, imo, were very reasonable but since I am now retired and have nothing but time on my hands, I figured I can save a few bucks by doing it myself.
(2007 Merc 90 H/P 4 stroke)

just go to your local Canadian Tire:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...-marine-engine-oil-4-l-0281739p.html#srp

Originally Posted by FastLane
Mystic that is sold at Canadian Tire is good oil. I've been running it the last two years.

Maybe I'm anal but running Mystic just doesn't sit well with me? I look at Mystic as just another low end/cheap oil that will "just do" until you can get the proper oil.
This alone, imo, also doesn't sit well with me as I'd prefer an oil that "exceeds" the requirement "Formulated to meet the warranty requirements of Mercury, Yamaha, Evinrude and other leading OEMS"

Originally Posted by Garak
Check with Blue Wave Energy. They'll either be able to get it to you or answer what might be going on with Canadian availability.

Thanks Garak. I will look into that.

Originally Posted by gotnogunk
I haven't seen it for several years, it was a great oil, too bad.

From the reading I have done, I also concluded it was a top notch oil but like someone else mentioned, it likely didn't sell well so they discontinued it.

"The best four stroke oil for boats is the Pennzoil 5063875 as its formula ensures the engine runs clean whilst running at wide varying temperatures."

https://themarinelab.com/best-4-stroke-outboard-oil/

Last edited:
Check with Blue Wave Energy. They'll either be able to get it to you or answer what might be going on with Canadian availability.

Is Blue Wave Ultramar, Garak? I did a search and all I could really come up with was Ultramar. I wrote/contacted them inquiring about Pennzoil Marine oil just now so I'll wait and see if I get a reply? Thanks again.

Originally Posted by 2004tdigls
have you thought about a SAE 40, this one looks very stout and has a pour point of -27C

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/a61538b4-0cbd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

available at Rock Auto

I haven't really looked into anything much at this point but I do see that is a racing oil rather than a Marine specific oil. I would like to run/use an FCW oil if I can but it was suggested that this oil would also work??? "Shell Advance 4T Ultra 10W-40 (4 stroke motorcycle engine oil) is suitable oil for your Marine/Mercury Four-Stroke engine"
21.gif

I am really not sure at this point what I will use but if the Pennzoil doesn't come through, then I'll likely just pay a premium price for a 5 ltr jug of Merc oil at my marina where I purchased the boat? I have looked on Amazon.ca but everything I could find said it was currently unavailable? Maybe it's too early in the season so hopefully availability will change soon?

Thanks guys!
cheers3.gif

This is their site. I'm okay with posting it since it's a full line Pennzoil-Quaker State-Shell distributor and Shell is a sponsor. Here is the link for the local distributor lookup. They've always gotten back to me promptly with good price quotes. Even if your closest site isn't listed as a lubricant depot, it would be fine to email or phone them. The closest one to here isn't shown as a lubricant depot, and that's clearly wrong, since it is.

This is their site. I'm okay with posting it since it's a full line Pennzoil-Quaker State-Shell distributor and Shell is a sponsor. Here is the link for the local distributor lookup. They've always gotten back to me promptly with good price quotes. Even if your closest site isn't listed as a lubricant depot, it would be fine to email or phone them. The closest one to here isn't shown as a lubricant depot, and that's clearly wrong, since it is.

Thanks, Garak.
cheers3.gif

I just wrote them, via your first link, so I will wait until I hear back from them. I also contacted a local Marine, (Whitby) inquiring about oil for my engine and the owner informed me he could hook me up with the proper oil. I didn't ask him about Pennzoil, only if they carried/sold oil/filters and the like to do some winterizing and he informed me he could get whatever I needed to accomplish that.
I may write later to see what he says about Pennzoil, but I have a feeling he may tell me that he can't get it? We'll see.

Originally Posted by irv

Thanks, Garak.
cheers3.gif

I just wrote them, via your first link, so I will wait until I hear back from them. I also contacted a local Marine, (Whitby) inquiring about oil for my engine and the owner informed me he could hook me up with the proper oil. I didn't ask him about Pennzoil, only if they carried/sold oil/filters and the like to do some winterizing and he informed me he could get whatever I needed to accomplish that.
I may write later to see what he says about Pennzoil, but I have a feeling he may tell me that he can't get it? We'll see.

Well, I heard back from them, Garak and it's not looking good as the tech said he would contact Shell to see if there is a suitable replacement oil for the marine oil?
I asked about availability stateside or if it has completely been shut down but received no answer yet.

Originally Posted by FastLane
Mystic is a large US oil company. Its quality oil. Nothing to worry about.

You're likely right, FL, but I think if I can't find/get the Pennzoil, I'll likely stick with either Merc or Quicksilver oil/filters?

Thanks just the same.
cheers3.gif

Well, here's the answer. Pennzoil is no longer producing this oil.
cry.gif

Hi,

Highlighted below is what I received from Shell. I DO NOT recommend using the oil stated in the answer, as it is not marine certified.

Hi Derrick,

Sadly, we discontinued this product. Best replacement is Rotella T4 10W-30, however not NMMA certified, but great for gasoline engines not in a vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by irv

That sucks, but at least that ended speculation and you got the answer from the horse's mouth, as it were. I think philipp10 might be right and the solution is less complex in fresh water, especially if you're keeping on top of maintenance. In fresh water and with reasonable OCIs, I'd be tempted to use an HDEO or even an monograde.

Here is at least last year's list of certified oils. It's interesting to note that Mystik is Citgo, for those to whom it matters. What really strikes me is that there are no offerings at all on there from Shell, Mobil, Castrol, Chevron, Petro-Canada, or Valvoline. We do know that most of those make commercial marine lubes, so it would seem to me they don't take this NMMA certification very seriously. Perhaps one of our formulators here could look over the Product Approval System sheet and give us some idea as to how rigorous it really is or how close we'd expect various classes of off the shelf oils to be. If you're in fresh water, I wouldn't worry so much about water in the oil or corrosion issues as much as I'd wonder about the anti-foaming properties, which probably isn't a huge concern, either.

You can do a lot of oil changes for next to nothing with a $50 pail of Walmart monograde.

Originally Posted by irv

That sucks, but at least that ended speculation and you got the answer from the horse's mouth, as it were. I think philipp10 might be right and the solution is less complex in fresh water, especially if you're keeping on top of maintenance. In fresh water and with reasonable OCIs, I'd be tempted to use an HDEO or even an monograde.

Here is at least last year's list of certified oils. It's interesting to note that Mystik is Citgo, for those to whom it matters. What really strikes me is that there are no offerings at all on there from Shell, Mobil, Castrol, Chevron, Petro-Canada, or Valvoline. We do know that most of those make commercial marine lubes, so it would seem to me they don't take this NMMA certification very seriously. Perhaps one of our formulators here could look over the Product Approval System sheet and give us some idea as to how rigorous it really is or how close we'd expect various classes of off the shelf oils to be. If you're in fresh water, I wouldn't worry so much about water in the oil or corrosion issues as much as I'd wonder about the anti-foaming properties, which probably isn't a huge concern, either.

You can do a lot of oil changes for next to nothing with a $50 pail of Walmart monograde.

Yes, I might be overthinking things but when I read some of these articles, (below) it makes me wonder again? Personally, as I know I won't likely sleep well knowing non NMMA FC-W oil is in my crank, I'll most likely just stick with it and pay the premium price for it.
https://www.thefishingwire.com/features/226476

I'd like to see, if possible, some VOAs and UOAs so one could determine just what extra ingredients and at what levels/dosages they are within this type of oil. If it is clearly shown nothing exists in it that makes it special or unique then I'd have zero qualms running an HDEO or even a regular synthetic. I am likely going to price out some Merc or Quicksilver oil next week from the guy I know at a marina so hopefully it isn't too much of a shock but if it is, so be it I guess.

Thanks again for the info/help!

cheers3.gif

I read the document, irv, and here are my two cents, if they're worth even that. It looks like they want, for starters, an API quality of SG or newer. That's no challenge. Their HTHS requirements will be met by any HDEO or monograde 30 or 40. All other viscosity requirements are per SAE J300, so basically they're saying an oil has to have its labelled viscosity and meet the advertised SAE grade, which is what we find with API or ACEA or OEM as it is. Stay in grade requirements are much what you'll see throughout ACEA sequences, so that's in order. The foaming requirements per ASTM D892 and 6082 are identical to what you'd find on an ACEA E7, E9 HDEO (i.e. any big name 10w-30, 15w-40, 5w-40, 5w-30 HDEO in CJ-4 or CK-4).

Any E7, E9 or E6, E7, E9 or A3/B4 oil (including Rotella T4 10w-30 and Multi-Vehicle 5w-30) will meet all those requirements. The only one that is a bit different is the rust inhibition requirement. A formulator would be better qualified to answer that one. Of course, you're not in salt water.

I read the document, irv, and here are my two cents, if they're worth even that. It looks like they want, for starters, an API quality of SG or newer. That's no challenge. Their HTHS requirements will be met by any HDEO or monograde 30 or 40. All other viscosity requirements are per SAE J300, so basically they're saying an oil has to have its labelled viscosity and meet the advertised SAE grade, which is what we find with API or ACEA or OEM as it is. Stay in grade requirements are much what you'll see throughout ACEA sequences, so that's in order. The foaming requirements per ASTM D892 and 6082 are identical to what you'd find on an ACEA E7, E9 HDEO (i.e. any big name 10w-30, 15w-40, 5w-40, 5w-30 HDEO in CJ-4 or CK-4).

Any E7, E9 or E6, E7, E9 or A3/B4 oil (including Rotella T4 10w-30 and Multi-Vehicle 5w-30) will meet all those requirements. The only one that is a bit different is the rust inhibition requirement. A formulator would be better qualified to answer that one. Of course, you're not in salt water.

Interesting!

Thanks, Garak, for breaking down the info for me.
cheers3.gif

Decisions, decisions.
frown.gif

I feel for you! I would be waffling about it, too. For reference, my dad, when he had the boats, was using ordinary PCMO of the day in 10w-30, which might have had a higher HTHS than we normally see in say PP or PUP now. The boat he had the longest was an inboard, though, and I'm not sure how much that matters. The engine outlasted everything else.

Back