"Best" rim tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on rim tape? I've always held velox to be "the best" so to speak but right now I have some whatever branded nylon/plastic type in my Mavic/Dura-ace 700 wheelset. Replaced a flat today due to a cut near the valve stem and noticed the tape had shifted off center in a few places (but not where the tube failure was). For now its up and running but I was thinking about replacing those plastic strips next time its apart. Any suggestions that would top velox?

Do they make narrow versions? I think I would need something in 12mm.

Velox is a tried and true tape for tubed road applications

Stan's tape can stretch a bit to fit the profile of the rim

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
I like the 3M 8898 tape. WAY cheaper than the bike brands and it seems like exactly the same tape.

That's strapping tape but I'm not sure it will work. It may flex too much. It should be fine If wrapped twice and double wrapped but Performance of Velox is only $3-$4 per wheel and it lasts forever. If it moves in to the spike nipple heads or in to the spoke hole for a double thick wheel, the tube will pop. They using sticky strapping tape if you encounter a broken spoke you have to pull the tape off. To save a few dollars, not worth it.

Last edited:
I briefly used packing tape with the filliaments, but have switched back to velox. It works better on my road bikes (and my son's too)

Why no rim cloth?
[Linked Image from images-nitrosell-com.akamaized.net]

I use Velox if the bike uses tube. On my tubeless road/gravel setup, I'm using Gorilla Tape. It seems to be the choice for some rims that are "tubeless friendly" but not quite tubeless ready.

Gorilla tape is nice and thick, which helps take up additional space in the bead hook height, allowing the tire bead to have more of an interference fit with the hook geometry.

All of my tubeless are with Stan's rims, so I just use their tape, one layer for my MTB wheels and Cyclocross wheels

I ordered some Chinese strips on eBay for my beater Giant but got tired of waiting and just used about 6 layers of Dollar Tree masking tape. Worked. Yes, it was not double wall rim.

I had to re-tape a Velocity A23 a friend built for me and he used some BS FSA wheel wrap. Since Velox tape is not recommended for these(the bead seat is tight on these), I ended up using two wraps of Kapton tape I had laying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back