At what point do you get upset at someone for not doing what they said?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems to happen a lot to me. I pay someone to do something and they say they will have it done by this day, but then it ends up taking much longer then they said. I feel like mechanics and such they take your job on then work on it, move onto the next thing and your job sits their 90 percent complete for 3 weeks. So then they have 10 other jobs they juggle and 10 other people breathing down their neck. Why do they do This? Why not just be upfront from the beginning? Hey I can take your job, but I got 10 other people in front of you so it might take a while.

Sure it might scare people off, but if you do what you say you're going to do, and do good work, you'll have so many customers you'll have to beat them off with a stick anyways.

Also I don't mean to pinpoint this on mechanics, this could be any service. Like getting your toilet fixed.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I only pay when the work is completed. I learned the hard way with this one. Ed

I haven't paid yet either.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
This seems to happen a lot to me. I pay someone to do something and they say they will have it done by this day, but then it ends up taking much longer then they said. I feel like mechanics and such they take your job on then work on it, move onto the next thing and your job sits their 90 percent complete for 3 weeks. So then they have 10 other jobs they juggle and 10 other people breathing down their neck. Why do they do This? Why not just be upfront from the beginning? Hey I can take your job, but I got 10 other people in front of you so it might take a while.

Sure it might scare people off, but if you do what you say you're going to do, and do good work, you'll have so many customers you'll have to beat them off with a stick anyways.

Pay after the work is complete. It's the only way I've ever hired any kind of work like you're talking about.

Also, keep in mind that people are just a pain to deal with, so that person probably thinks YOU'RE going to stiff THEM, so there is already mutual distrust.

Last edited:
You tell me it going to take 2 weeks because of high work load I am good with that, my decision, you gave me the option. Tell me its 2 days and its getting near a week I am getting a bit PO'd.

typical scenario, seen it 100 times. lack of accountability is the biggest factor here. People are gonna smile at you and kiss your rear just to get you in the door. Once on the hook, they'll do whatever they want. Vast majority just doesn't take any pride in what they do. I am sick and tired of it. And that's why I cut my own hair, mow the lawn, change the oil etc etc etc - no need to rely on anyone else but yourself. My vision these days

It seems you need to find a different shop. When you find one that meets your expectations use it again. Years ago was getting the run around using chain shops like muffler shops for mechanical work. Horrible experience and have not gone back. Then found local mechanic. One man shop. Straight shooter. May take 2 or 3 days to get repair done but he let you know ahead of time. Never replaced parts that did not need replacing. Worked for me until he retired.

Most likely explanation for those folks who continually overrun their promised timelines is that they are just plain bad at estimating how much work a job will take, or maybe they are reticent to be realistic with their estimations because they feel they will lose the job.

The best approach you can take is to clearly explain to them that you require a realistic timeline, and emphasize that missing promised finished dates means no more business from you in the future in addition to unsavory word-of-mouth referrals if anyone asks you.

And most important of all, don't take it personally. They likely have every intention of fulfilling their promised delivery date, they are just incapable of doing so for any number of (personal) reasons.

He's rebuilding a Holley carb for a 350 Chevy and said he could have it done the same day. That was Saturday. So I'm like here we go again.... All he needs to do is make a gasket for the carb cause Holley is 1 month out on rebuild kits for this carb and then put it back on the boat. Takes all of 25 minutes. See what I mean? They get it 90 percent done then start dragging [censored].I don't want to just take it away from him now at this point.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Most likely explanation for those folks who continually overrun their promised timelines is that they are just plain bad at estimating how much work a job will take, or maybe they are reticent to be realistic with their estimations because they feel they will lose the job.

The best approach you can take is to clearly explain to them that you require a realistic timeline, and emphasize that missing promised finished dates means no more business from you in the future in addition to unsavory word-of-mouth referrals if anyone asks you.

And most important of all, don't take it personally. They likely have every intention of fulfilling their promised delivery date, they are just incapable of doing so for any number of (personal) reasons.

+1

Agree, I don't think these types of individuals have bad intentions.

The secret, and the most important one in any service business is to manage the client's expectations.

If the client asks can you have it done by Friday at lunchtime, let em know that is a difficult timeline that can only be met if absolutely no issues arise during the work. But that you will do everything possible to meet that deadline. Give em some updates, more if there are issues and the aspirational time line of Friday lunch is not going to be met.

I keep them coming back year after year by doing all of this each and every time. I try to learn the young'uns in my shop how to do this and keep folks happy, but those idiots keep promising to have it done by Friday by lunch. Invariably they are not done by that deadline and then they duck the calls or text from the client. By Tuesday morning with no word from these idiots, the client is fit to be tied and will do everything they can to find a different shop next year to do the work.

Last edited:
Being a decent in a trade and being decent at business/client management are a rare combo.

I keep hearing that 4yr school is waste do trades. But the sad reality a good bunch of trade folks do not have the ability to conduct business effectively.

So what do you do as far as payment is concerned? Say you want to just stop by and take your stuff cause they're taking too long? I don't think I should have to pay. They didn't get the job done, regardless of whether or not they did any work.

It's mostly done in trades where the half way done work keeps the customer hostage against backing out.
A mechanic has your vehicle in his possession so there is no easy way to take it elseware.
Similar with house renovations. Once something, be it kitchen, bathroom etc. is partially done, the tradesman know it's hard to hire someone else.

Legally once they start work you have to pay them for whatever work has been done so far. What you may think of that doesn't enter into the calculation. A difference might be if there is a contract for specific things to be done by a specific time, and the contractor has not met that obligation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
So what do you do as far as payment is concerned? Say you want to just stop by and take your stuff cause they're taking too long? I don't think I should have to pay. They didn't get the job done, regardless of whether or not they did any work.

You go in and work with him.
Ask why his timeline had dragged out.
Then, actually listen to his response.
Wait and think and consider whether it is a reasonable response.
Then, agree to mutually clear expectations around an adjusted delivery timeline and payment schedule.

In these delayed delivery type situations, my experience is that when people are approached reasonably and respectfully, they actually do want to work with customers.
Maybe the job got away from him, or his kid is sick, or a family member died. You just don't know.

I guess what I'm saying is, go in there and act like an adult.
Expect him to do the same.
You may be surprised how well it works out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by parshisa
typical scenario, seen it 100 times. lack of accountability is the biggest factor here. People are gonna smile at you and kiss your rear just to get you in the door. Once on the hook, they'll do whatever they want. Vast majority just doesn't take any pride in what they do. I am sick and tired of it. And that's why I cut my own hair, mow the lawn, change the oil etc etc etc - no need to rely on anyone else but yourself. My vision these days

It is sad to hear that you can even find anyone you can trust to cut your hair.
I am glad my life is different than this.

Don't do that, ever hear of a mechanics/artisan's lien? I am sure if differs from state to state but in some places when you do this they will hold the car, do nothing more to it and charge you $x a day for storage from the time you pulled that stunt.
Settle any bill before taking the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back