Is there a "shortage" of Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

I have four vehicles, all either Toyota or Lexus requiring 0W-20. I have chosen Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0W-20 as my "standard" oil I use whenever it's oil change time.

This weekend, I went to three different Wal-Marts in my area. Normally I get the 5-quart jug. None of the three Wal-Marts had any, and one did not even have the single quart size. Of the two having single quart sizes, they only had a couple.

So then I went to AutoZone - No 0W-20 there either, although they had 5W-30 and 5W-20. Advance Auto doesn't carry the Mobil 1 Annual Protection.

I ended up ordering online from Wal-Mart, and it will be delivered tomorrow, so I am set.

But meanwhile, are stores choosing to not stock Mobil 1 AP? I am surprised it is so hard to find. Perhaps with Mobil creating so many variants of Mobil 1, stores are finding it difficult to choose what to put on their shelves and what not to.

My local WM had Mobil 1 AP when I was there on Saturday.

Some crazy person might be stocking up so he can maintain his car after the furry zombie apocalypse, or something. (Or there was just a delay in the supply chain :p )

The M1 EP would be very close to same oil would it not?

I think the OP Wants a real synthetic, poster ad244.

The idemitsu is likely grp III.

I have visited several different Walmart stores in my are in recent months and all are fully stocked with M1 AP. I was under the impression that Mobil was pushing this specific product hard but sales may not be that great considering that it is being sold at a boutique price. Even if you get the current $12 rebate on a 5 quart jug of this oil it will only take the cost down to what the normal starting price is for regular Mobil 1 oil.

I think it may suffer the same fate as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, many people don't want to pay an extra $12 for a 5 quart jug of oil that they may not see a whole lot of added benefit from (if any at all).

Originally Posted by btanchors
....But meanwhile, are stores choosing to not stock Mobil 1 AP? I am surprised it is so hard to find. Perhaps with Mobil creating so many variants of Mobil 1, stores are finding it difficult to choose what to put on their shelves and what not to.

Not too many people are willing to pay the boutique price for Mobil 1 AP. The AP jugs in my Walmart are collecting dust.

Why not just use EP 0w20? I believe I read somewhere here on bitog that the EP may be a better oil, more pao content. I'm sure it will serve your purpose well and it's probably easier to find.

lol.gif
35.gif

Shortage? No.

I think that there may be a shortage of market demand for this oil, at least at Walmart. Walmart is all about low prices, and that is what their customers expect. Marketing a premium product at Walmart is nothing but a fool's errand.

On the other hand, I suspect that XOM simply asked Walmart to display a little of this oil in order to drive sales to their less expensive products. Doing the math on cost per mile, Mobil 1 Annual Protection simply doesn't work from an economic perspective. Looking at it from this angle, Annual Protection is a complete success.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by typ901
It's available on Walmart's app. Shows for next day delivery for me.

Did you read the OP?

Yes, and even the title where OP is asking if there is a shortage. There's not. Why hunt for it when you can have it delivered? Why waste time theorizing about stock levels? Who on this forum knows or will share what Walmart's decision is to carry what oil at what store based on sales amounts? Or what Mobil's plans are for AP going forward. Not certain what you are implying what I missed, but thanks for the value added post.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
It's available on Walmart's app. Shows for next day delivery for me.

Did you read the OP?

Yes, and even the title where OP is asking if there is a shortage. There's not. Why hunt for it when you can have it delivered? Why waste time theorizing about stock levels? Who on this forum knows or will share what Walmart's decision is to carry what oil at what store based on sales amounts? Or what Mobil's plans are for AP going forward. Not certain what you are implying what I missed, but thanks for the value added post.

Because he said he ordered it right in the post. Then you proceeded to imply that he should just order it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by turnbowm
Originally Posted by btanchors
....But meanwhile, are stores choosing to not stock Mobil 1 AP? I am surprised it is so hard to find. Perhaps with Mobil creating so many variants of Mobil 1, stores are finding it difficult to choose what to put on their shelves and what not to.

Not too many people are willing to pay the boutique price for Mobil 1 AP. The AP jugs in my Walmart are collecting dust.

No its called the price of synthetic oil. $10-15 a litre

Not the Fake synthetic were are usually snake oil sold

Your vanilla M1 5w30 is semi-syn AT BEST and maybe not even that.

Last edited:
I can't speak to the add pack, but according to the MSDS's, I like the base oil composition of M1 0w-20 EP better than 0w-20 AP, My preference would be EP even though I have both at my local walmarts.

Originally Posted by turnbowm

Same here. Stuff is collecting dust in my local Walmart's and I doubt there is a big rush for them to get replacement orders of the stuff in when they do sell out.

In my local Wally's the AP has been relegated to the top shelf which is usually a bad sign.

EP will be a great alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back