2013 Jetta TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil would you run in a 2013 Jetta TDI. Summer temps 70 - 90 degrees, winter temps 0 - 30 degrees ( Southern Ontario). I would like a good syn. oil that I would change @ 6-8k miles. I am thinking of buying this car and would like your opinion. Thanks Roger

Originally Posted by RogerBacon
What oil would you run in a 2013 Jetta TDI. Summer temps 70 - 90 degrees, winter temps 0 - 30 degrees ( Southern Ontario). I would like a good syn. oil that I would change @ 6-8k miles. I am thinking of buying this car and would like your opinion. Thanks Roger

What does the owner's manual say?

A 2013 should call for VW spec 507.00. I don't know anything about who puts this list out, but here is a 2018 link to 'specialty' oils
www.noln.net/ext/resources/wp-content/uploads/2018-motor-oil-guide-web-rev.pdf , these oils are listed, but there are more such as Castrol Edge.

Citgo Superguard European
Mobil 1 ESP
Champion SynGold Euro
Motul 8100
Total Quartz Ineo Longlife
Valvoline Advanced

Generally the 507.00 spec called for a 5W-30 low SAPS oil, if I remember correctly. I put 173,000 miles on a 3.0L generally not running a specific 507.00 until I sold it back to VW. Some oils that met BMW Longlife 04 or MB 229.51 might not have met the exact 507.00 spec, but IMO were close enough.

Do a search on the tdiclub.com forums for better lists that what you will find here.

Last edited:
I have used in my 2011 TDI the following, depending on what I found on sale.

Total Quartz Ineo 5w30
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30

I am stocked up on PP for a loooong time since walmart clearanced it our a year or so ago, coupled with the manufacturers rebate.

As others have stated, if you still have your DPF then stick with a VW 507.00 oil. These are low/mid SAPS offerings designed to extend the life of the exhaust filters and catalytic converters. These oils are listed as LL-03 5W-30s.

If you are in Canada the best source is German Parts, they have four of five different VW507 options.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Any 0W-40 that meets the VW spec is what I'd be running. Liqui-moly or Pennzoil will certainly fit the bill.

There are no 40 weight 507 oils, although they are all >3.5 HTHS 30 weights, so pretty thick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sasilverbullet

What does the owner's manual say?

I do not know

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Any 0W-40 that meets the VW spec is what I'd be running. Liqui-moly or Pennzoil will certainly fit the bill.

His engine calls for VW 504.00/507.00. Only 5W30 or 0W30 grades are possible to get approved for that specification by VW.

We ended up getting a 2014 Jetta TDI with 70k kms on it. Thanks for all the advice. I think we will used Pennzoil Euro 5W30. I will pick some up the next time it goes on sale at Cdn. Tire. I do not think you can beat that oil for $30 for 5 litres. Thanks again, Roger

We ended up getting a 2014 Jetta TDI with 70k kms on it. Thanks for all the advice. I think we will used Pennzoil Euro 5W30. I will pick some up the next time it goes on sale at Cdn. Tire. I do not think you can beat that oil for $30 for 5 litres. Thanks again, Roger

Pennzoil Euro 5W30 does not meet VW 504.00/507.00. Pennzoil Euro 0W30 LX does.

Originally Posted by Garak
And Canadian Tire does carry the 0w-30, too, for sake of convenience. It's on sale right now, as a matter of fact.

+1

Originally Posted by edyvw

Pennzoil Euro 5W30 does not meet VW 504.00/507.00. Pennzoil Euro 0W30 LX does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back