Blue blocker glasses for night driving experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of buying the Uvex S1933X for night driving as headlights have gotten pretty crazy these days (maybe 1 out of 8 cars are not blinding) and most of them have the horrendous blue tint, even truckers are doing it. I'm hoping some of you have tried the cheap Uvex S1933X or other blue blockers and could please chime in.
Alternatively, it's time for revenge and I'll run the most glaring headlight combination possible even if it doesn't improve my view of the road; collateral damage should be minimal as I see less than 5% non-blinding blue lights at night (older cars with a nice yellow tint).

Originally Posted by zorobabel
it's time for revenge and I'll run the most glaring headlight combination possible even if it doesn't improve my view of the road

At'll show 'em who's boss!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by skyactiv
How old are you and when was your last eye exam? Maybe your slowly getting cataracts?

I'm 36. It's not just me, my wife shares my thoughts. I think I had an eye exam 2 years ago.
Last night (Highway 395) a guy with nasty blue headlights in a raised truck ruined my night vision for a while while he was behind me and there were no oncoming cars. After I let him pass, I followed him for a good while and the glare from oncoming cars was causing him to steer right, he even went 2 wheels off the pavement twice.

Last edited:
Zorobabel, I feel your pain. My auto-dimming rear view mirror is no match for some of the stuff that is used for illumination on the roads.

Back in the eighty's we had KC Daylighters on our 4x4 trucks. The cops would pull us over if we didn't have them covered. Now a days.........Geez. Some of these cars/trucks/semi's are horrible. Where's the police now??? There has to be a certain brightness you can't be over. At least get your headlights aimed right!!!

Last edited:
It's high time that law enforcement stepped up and dealt with these people who create dangerous conditions on public roads.

I had to laugh at the cataract question. All human eyes respond poorly to intense cold color temperature light. Heh, even NASA is complaining about the view from outer space.

Originally Posted by zorobabel

Alternatively, it's time for revenge and I'll run the most glaring headlight combination possible even if it doesn't improve my view of the road

Time for a bro bar?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by oldhp
Back in the eighty's we had KC Daylighters on our 4x4 trucks. The cops would pull us over if we didn't have them covered. Now a days.........Geez. Some of these cars/trucks/semi's are horrible. Where's the police now??? There has to be a certain brightness you can't be over. At least get your headlights aimed right!!!

I think rudeness is king now days,,,,high beam training should be a law...

I use the blublocker "Stargazers" aviator style glasses. But they're too dark for night. You'd be better off using yellow shooting glasses to filter out the Blue light at night.

Blue light does not focus in the eye as well as the other colors of the light spectrum so it tends to blur vision. filtering it out strips the blur to give you the "HD Vision" effect of the blueblockers. ...Yes Blue blocker HD is a real thing.

Tinted night driving glasses do not work. The typical yellow tint just give the wearer the impression of better vision.

Studies and testing on this very subject have been ongoing since WW-II. The conclusion is always the same. You may "feel" that you see better but objective testing says otherwise.

However, I want to add a bit of personal experience as an amateur astronomer and optics enthusiast:

You may have good vision due to the multiple diopters of accommodation (ability to focus) you have at your age. However, the enlarged pupil (nightime) reduces the ability to focus. Prescription glasses with anti reflective coating may be able to help you if your eyes are not perfect (you many not know) A good doc who tests in low light conditions can make a pair of ultra clear glasses with AR coatings. Note: If you don't wear corrective lenses now, AND distant things are a little blurry when you relax your eye focus fully, your eyes may not be perfect. This is where good science comes in.

Unfortunately, finding the right lenses may be a bit of a pain and take a good bit of technical understanding on your part. Example: a pair of glasses with a -0.5 diopter on the right eye and -0.75 diopter on the L, with adjustments for astigmatism may be remarkable at night for someone who can see just fine, but who's eyes are not quite perfect. (my wife's prescription)

EDIT to add: Good focus reduces glare markedly.

Last edited:
Those modern LEDs have to be aimed carefully . They've got that nice cutoff line and if it's too high , ouch. Projectors are far worse. Especially when folks stuff a projector bulb Assembly into a regular halogen housing. . It's strange that the cops don't deal with it more. I'm guessing that it's a PITA to measure on scene unlike ark windows that the shoot with a little meter. Some of these things are really hard for police to deal with so the avoid the headaches f possible.

I had a set of "ambervision" blue blockers back in the 90s and quite enjoyed them at night. I felt like the fatigue was reduced. Even now, I won't buy sun glasses that go grey, which usually have a slight lean towards blue; rather I go for brown lenses, with a polarized filter. For night I'd certainly not hesitate to recommend a light yellow lens. The pair I had was graded with lighter tinting at the bottom (nearfield) and darker towards the top. That made them nice in the daytime too.

I don't think retaliation is a good play. It just makes you an even bigger jerk to the 3rd party.

I'm waiting for a quick-dimming side mirror solution, especially in sedans. Even with normal headlights, the left door mirror picks up lights behind me, such as on the dark interstate, which after a few hours can get so bad I'll aim it down at the ground.

Good Luck

Originally Posted by Dave9
It's high time that law enforcement stepped up and dealt with these people who create dangerous conditions on public roads.

I had to laugh at the cataract question. All human eyes respond poorly to intense cold color temperature light. Heh, even NASA is complaining about the view from outer space.

I laugh at all we with weak eyes. This really is the first time I have ever read about people complaining about all the headlights on the road. Hey Grandpa's quit driving at night.

It's the lights themselves, not the age of the driver being blinded.

Maybe mounting a light bar that faces aft would be a good payback. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Tinted night driving glasses do not work. The typical yellow tint just give the wearer the impression of better vision.

Studies and testing on this very subject have been ongoing since WW-II. The conclusion is always the same. You may "feel" that you see better but objective testing says otherwise.

However, I want to add a bit of personal experience as an amateur astronomer and optics enthusiast:

You may have good vision due to the multiple diopters of accommodation (ability to focus) you have at your age. However, the enlarged pupil (nightime) reduces the ability to focus. Prescription glasses with anti reflective coating may be able to help you if your eyes are not perfect (you many not know) A good doc who tests in low light conditions can make a pair of ultra clear glasses with AR coatings. Note: If you don't wear corrective lenses now, AND distant things are a little blurry when you relax your eye focus fully, your eyes may not be perfect. This is where good science comes in.

Unfortunately, finding the right lenses may be a bit of a pain and take a good bit of technical understanding on your part. Example: a pair of glasses with a -0.5 diopter on the right eye and -0.75 diopter on the L, with adjustments for astigmatism may be remarkable at night for someone who can see just fine, but who's eyes are not quite perfect. (my wife's prescription)

EDIT to add: Good focus reduces glare markedly.

My old oakley pair of sunglasses with a orange/yellowish tint blocked out a lot of glare and contrasted the color more. I used it a lot for shooting and driving. The color contrast offered, along with the fact that the lens weren't dark like sunglasses was awesome when going indoors/outdoors during training because I could just leave them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back