Parking a vehicle for at least 3 months

Vehicle will be in an apartment building parking garage. Any suggestions? This is the first time I've had to do this.

So far I have installed a new battery and a quick disconnect on the ground cable. I don't think I'm allowed to use the nearby electrical outlets for a minder.

I will clean the interior and wash the exterior. Should I apply anything to the exterior paint? The location is along the ocean coast and the covered garage is open to outside.

I will over inflate the tires, fill the fuel tank and plug the tail pipe.

Am I going overboard? Do I need a fuel stabilizer too?

BTW, the engine oil only has about 3k kms on it.

Am I forgetting something?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Cars typically sit on dealer lots for that amount of time waiting to be sold. The only thing I would do is disconnect the negative battery terminal.

How long you planning on storing for?

Anything less than a year and I'd say the fuel will be fine, esp. with a full tank.

Tail pipe plug is a little overboard. IMO.

Oh and I'd change the oil. One less thing to think of when starting out again.
Dino for storage (if it isn't already) will suffice.

I store my 1999 S-10 in my MIL's garage out in the country for the winter and here is what I do:

The engine requires a 30 grade oil so I use change to new 0W30 for easy starting with a new filter as well. Once every two weeks I start the engine and let it run for about ten minutes.

Right before storage I use a fuel stabilizer and top off the fuel tank with non-ethanol fuel.

I check the tire's air pressure immediately before and after storage.

I use Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent Pouches. One in the bed (or trunk in your case), one in the engine compartment near the battery, one inside near the accelerator pedal, and one directly underneath the exhaust pipe.

I have been doing this for 5 years now with 'nary' a problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
I store my 1999 S-10 in my MIL's garage out in the country for the winter and here is what I do:

The engine requires a 30 grade oil so I use change to new 0W30 for easy starting with a new filter as well. Once every two weeks I start the engine and let it run for about ten minutes.

Right before storage I use a fuel stabilizer and top off the fuel tank with non-ethanol fuel.

I check the tire's air pressure immediately before and after storage.

I use Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent Pouches. One in the bed (or trunk in your case), one in the engine compartment near the battery, one inside near the accelerator pedal, and one directly underneath the exhaust pipe.

I have been doing this for 5 years now with 'nary' a problem.

All of this here!!

Do nothing.

My great-aunt and great-uncle live in The Netherlands for 7-8 months of the year and in a condo here in Phoenix for the rest. I've taken care of their car and home for years and years while they're gone. It's a 98 Plymouth Breeze, looks almost like a new car too.

We do almost nothing. Now that the battery is really old I bring it 2 blocks down to my grandpas house every couple months and charge the battery. But before when the battery was newer, it sits.

My Camry sat in front of my house for 14 months. I charged the battery maybe 3 times, no issues. Didn't do anything else.

My mom's 2012 Jeep Patriot has been driven maybe 100 miles this year, it's out front of my house. Starts fine. Haven't charged the battery yet.

If only 3 months, I'd just disconnect the battery, add Stabil if your gas has ethanol, and put in 3 dessicant bags on the seats to keep fungi from growing on the vinyl and glass surfaces.

Last edited:
I know on our 2005 Focus I can't set the parking brake if the car sits very long. It's almost as the rear drum locks up and doesn't want to release. This maybe just might be a quirk w/our Ford and not a concern w/yours.

Originally Posted by newbe46
A car cover would be nice otherwise people would write something over the dust

Would likely attract attention, I wouldn't cover. Just disconnect battery. Three months is nothing.

I've had cars sit 3 and 4 years between uses without any more prep than you have done. You should be fine. All I would do is take the battery inside to keep on a maintainer.

I will be storing my Mustang this winter in my steel backyard garage. I plan to tin foil off the airbox snorkel and the tailpipes as I live next to a farm and the rodents are present here. I will remove the battery and keep it in my basement on a smart charger. I will be using some kind of rodent repellant as others have suggested and using a car cover of course. I have considered raising the tires off the ground but not sure I'd go to that length really.

I only wish there was something EASY to do to save "brake rotor rust up". I know they polish themselves upon braking....but still.

I'm told slathering them with old, sodium railroad grease isn't a good thing to do.

I store my Gen Coupe over the winter outside. No cover. I put some Stabil in the gas for the last fill and disconnect the battery. I agree that starting it is a bad thing to do unless you take it out and drive it. My biggest problem is mice. I use a bar of soap in the glove box with some success. The mice usually end up residing on top of the cabin filter.

Three months is nothing for a car to sit. If the oil is not in need of a change fill the gas tank, add some Stabil drive half an hour or more and park it.

Originally Posted by Kira
I only wish there was something EASY to do to save "brake rotor rust up". I know they polish themselves upon braking....but still.

I'm told slathering them with old, sodium railroad grease isn't a good thing to do.

Can you get Bilt Hamber products in the US? They have a product called Atom Mac which they advertise for minimising rust on brake discs during washing.

I would be sure the gas does not contain ethanol , change the oil / filter , make sure the battery is fully charged . Think you said you installed a battery disconnect ?

You said , air up the tires ?

Back