Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a high flow dry filter for a Ford 6.2L
2018 F250

Any ideas 🤔 I haven't found much

Thanks

From this post:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...iency-vs-restriction-testing#Post5081112

FLOW RESTRICTION from best to worst. Remember, 27.7 inches of water = 1 psi. So, 1 inch of water = .036 psi. The worst (AC Delco) at 6.23 in. water and the best (K&N) at 4.54 in. water is a difference of 1.69 in. of water or a "whopping" .0608 psi. Virtually negligible.

Picking a filter that traps more dirt is more important when the flow difference is basically negligible. Most you might get is a few more peak HP at WOT, and you'd never realize it unlrss you were on a dyno doing comparison runs.

Years ago when I lived on a dirt road I noticed that AC delco filters got dirty the fastest. That is a good thing. that was years ago so I am sure things are different now. However the test is still valid. Any dirt road folks on here to offer an opinion.

Rod

Originally Posted by joegreen
What's wrong with the stock filter?

Nothing wrong with the factory filter as far as I know
But for the same cost as a factory replacement I'd like to think that there's a high quality aftermarket filter with the same filtration as the factory with higher flow numbers.
That's why I ask
Does anybody know of an aftermarket filter that meets these guidelines ??

Originally Posted by kstanf150

But for the same cost as a factory replacement I'd like to think that there's a high quality aftermarket filter with the same filtration as the factory with higher flow numbers.

If you look at that air filter test comparison linked earlier you'll see that with air filters the more free flowing filter will typically let more dirt through.

And as pointed out, the most restrictive to least restrictive OEM sized air filter isn't going to give you more than just a few more peak HP at full throttle. So is that worth it for allowing more dirt through and potentially resulting in more engine wear. How many times do you got full throttle per day?

Changing the airbox/inlet tube system and using a filter with more surface area will increase air flow more than just changing the air filter in the stock intake system.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by kstanf150

If you look at that air filter test comparison linked earlier you'll see that with air filters the more free flowing filter will typically let more dirt through.

And as pointed out, the most restrictive to least restrictive OEM sized air filter isn't going to give you more than just a few more peak HP at full throttle. So is that worth it for allowing more dirt through and potentially resulting in more engine wear. How many times do you got full throttle per day?

Changing the airbox/inlet tube system and using a filter with more surface area will increase air flow more than just changing the air filter in the stock intake system.

How many times a day can I go full throttle ???
As many times as I want to 🤣
Ain't nothing but pine trees and fence post in rural Georgia where I live

Hey thank you sir
I checked out aFe several weeks ago and didn't see these fit 2018 models
Thanks for the info !ðŸ‘

If Fram makes an Ultra air filter for it you might want to compare and consider. Here's info on the efficiency, and note it was with the "fine dust" used in the ISO test. Some filter makers use the "course dust" to make the efficiency look better.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...r-options-for-4-0l-v6-toyota#Post5157345

I also contacted Fram to ask about the new filter pressure drop (ie, flow restriction) for the XGA9683. They said: "Initial restriction at 250 CFM is 1.8
inch's H2O
". That's pretty free flowing for such an efficient air filter.

Here's a graph showing the initial restriction of various air filters at 350 CFM. I don't know how much surface area these filters have (they are all for the same vehicle - GM Duramax Diesel). The size of the filter will have a direct factor on the new initial pressure drop - that's why and aftermarket intake system with a giant air filter gives way more power increase than dropping in a different OEM sized air filter.

Even if I assumed the pressure drop was doubled from 250 to 350 CFM, then the Ultra for my Tacoma (XGA9683) is only 3.6 inches of H2O which is even less than the most free flowing filter in this graph.

The main goal for an air filter is to achieve the best filtering efficiency with the least amount of pressure drop. I use to use K&N air filters, but didn't like sacrificing efficiency for a hair less flow restriction, especially since it wasn't being used in a race car application and I'd never even care if I had 2 more peak HP at wide open throttle.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
If Fram makes an Ultra air filter for it you might want to compare and consider. Here's info on the efficiency, and note it was with the "fine dust" used in the ISO test. Some filter makers use the "course dust" to make the efficiency look better.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...r-options-for-4-0l-v6-toyota#Post5157345

I also contacted Fram to ask about the new filter pressure drop (ie, flow restriction) for the XGA9683. They said: "Initial restriction at 250 CFM is 1.8
inch's H2O
". That's pretty free flowing for such an efficient air filter.

According to Frams web site as of a week ago
They do not offer the XG for my application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back