Wix vs ACDelco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight I was doing some routine maintenance on my stepdaughter's ‘05 Town & Country, which includes a new air filter. I pulled out the Wix that was in it and installed an ACDelco. Really surprised to see the difference in the number of pleats between the two. I counted 79 in the Wix and 53 in the ACD. Here they are side by side. The Wix is on the left.

BB968409-A0B9-4C7C-A6EE-0BC82C09F053.jpeg

Last edited:
It isn't always the number of pleats that count but the composition of the filter media. It's just that most people have this "bigger is better" mentality.

Originally Posted by atikovi
It isn't always the number of pleats that count but the composition of the filter media. It's just that most people have this "bigger is better" mentality.

If nothing else they should last longer with more pleats. More pleats = more surface area = more dirt holding. Right? most people in an urban environment hardly need to change their air filters. Mine look like new after 30k with occasional dirt road driving.

Originally Posted by tmorris1
Originally Posted by atikovi

If nothing else they should last longer with more pleats. More pleats = more surface area = more dirt holding. Right? most people in an urban environment hardly need to change their air filters. Mine look like new after 30k with occasional dirt road driving.

+ a few
laugh.gif

AC Delco being an arm from GM tends to have cheaply made stuff at higher prices for more profits for GM.

The designer and/or manufacturer may be different. All companies buy from different suppliers in order to provide a full range. Not sure about simple panel filters though. That would seem like something that GM and Wix have usually kept in house.

Not all AC Delco filters are made by a single supplier. The OEM Delco/GM filter for my Cobalt LNF looks drastically different from any of the other tradtional paper air filters. It looks more like a washable fiber filter.

I've traditionally run Fram Paper filters and never had a problem with Si on my UOA's. I'm currently testing AC-Delco on the Caravan and will compare it with a Fram and OEM in future UOA's.

I also installed a filter restriction monitor K&N 85-2445 Filter Minder to tell me when it needs replacement rather than visually judging. I find I can run filters a really long time.

Last edited:
I just bought three AC Delco air filters for the price of one Wix for the New Durango through Rock auto to stock the shelf with. Hopefully they will be good for the standard change interval.

Originally Posted by metroplex
Not all AC Delco filters are made by a single supplier. The OEM Delco/GM filter for my Cobalt LNF looks drastically different from any of the other tradtional paper air filters. It looks more like a washable fiber filter.

Every filter maker buys from someone else to cover certain applications that are funky. Especially filters with rigid plastic frames. I had a 1995 Integra GS-R and there were basically only two aftermarket filter manufacturers in Thailand and South Korea. I think K&N finally made one, but I wasn't going to use one. I'd seen everything in a Fram, Wix, or house branded box, and they were all just one of those two.

Yup Ac Delco and I'm sure many others farm out or eventually farm out parts after several years. Filters might be Fram, Wix.. and change over the years. The air assist shocks they used to make became Gabrial hijacker with ac delco stickered over it. The problem was they cost more than the in this case idential Gabrial and were not a idential replacement. Air fittings were a screw on not quick connect and they require a higher min pressure. So you or mechanic had to take out the compressor assembly open a part up and swap a spring. In addition they are noticeably firmer shock yet carried their same AC part number as though oem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back