2010 F-150 5.4 3V- Issues imminent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Sounds more likely......I have seen Follower failures "somehow" release the keepers on it's corresponding valve & drop the valve enough to get bent, The Spring, Keepers, Retainer, & Lifter are found intact under the valve cover.

If you don't have a bent valve & the Cam Bore's are OK.....I'm surprised they greenlit a long block! Lucky you regardless!!

Though I hope they lift the cab to do the engine swap! Much easier to get the wiring harness & clips back in correctly. As your generation truck doesn't call for aligning/marking the cab after removal....It's almost foolproof.

Yeah I was very happy with it! Do you by chance know if the 5.4 issues have been addressed? I mean would I expect to get around a hundred thousand out of the new motor or more?

Originally Posted by panthermike
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Sounds more likely......I have seen Follower failures "somehow" release the keepers on it's corresponding valve & drop the valve enough to get bent, The Spring, Keepers, Retainer, & Lifter are found intact under the valve cover.

If you don't have a bent valve & the Cam Bore's are OK.....I'm surprised they greenlit a long block! Lucky you regardless!!

Though I hope they lift the cab to do the engine swap! Much easier to get the wiring harness & clips back in correctly. As your generation truck doesn't call for aligning/marking the cab after removal....It's almost foolproof.

Yeah I was very happy with it! Do you by chance know if the 5.4 issues have been addressed? I mean would I expect to get around a hundred thousand out of the new motor or more?

I would say you have about a 98% chance of obtaining 200,000 miles on the new engine.

Ford updated the Tensioners (seals) & the VCT Phasers, So I'd say 100K easy!! I highly recommend a good quality 5w30, 5w20 didn't do this particular engine any favors.

Hey guys, had a couple of questions regarding the motor replacement:

- Will they have to recharge the air conditioning?
- I assume they will have to change the coolant? Motor oil is a given, but wanted to double check on coolant
-Any other common things they might do when performing this job?

I'm just trying to be prepared for what to expect. Also, i was planning on doing coolant soon anyways so that would be great if they did it.

- I assume they will have to change the coolant? Motor oil is a given, but wanted to double check on coolant

I'm just trying to be prepared for what to expect. Also, i was planning on doing coolant soon anyways so that would be great if they did it.

Let me guess, the aftermarket warranty does not cover fluids? That would not be a first.

Most good mechanics who do engine swaps can move the A/C compressor out of the way and leave everything connected and intact if the space allows.

Originally Posted by Hootbro

Let me guess, the aftermarket warranty does not cover fluids? That would not be a first.

Most good mechanics who do engine swaps can move the A/C compressor out of the way and leave everything connected and intact if the space allows.

Honestly haven't heard anything yet on that front, I hope it goes well with that. Good to know on the compressor.

They should replace the coolant, unless they are able to drain it into a perfectly clean container for reuse.

Evac and recharge on the ACis up to the technician. Some prefer to do it and get everything out of the way, others will hang them off to the side, it comes down to personal preference.

Update:

After not hearing from the advisor all week, I called today. OEM motor is on 6-8 week backorder. Can you confirm this bdcardinal? In light of this, the warranty company is going with "Dahmer Powertrain". I looked them up, not much info really. It does have a 3yr/100K warranty. Anyone know this company?

Very frustrating regarding the motor and the lack of communication from the service advisor.

Sanderson Lincoln on Bell Rd in Phoenix shows one, assuming the p/n they are looking for is 9L1Z-6006-AARM. The next closest one is Spradley Barr Motors Inc in Cheyenne, WY. Town and Country Ford in Bessemer, AL shows one as does Alan Vigil Ford Lincoln in Morrow, GA. A dealer in Alaska and one in Hawaii show one each also, but shipping might be a bit high.

And yes, my powertrain supplier does not have any in stock.

Ford has been having a ton of backorders on parts lately. Here is the explanation they give us, take it for what you want:

9L1Z 6006AARM ENG#: RM9L1J6006AA
Part Name: SERVICE ENGINE ASY Date Off B/O: 00/00/00 B/O Ranking:

Line Number Date Merchandiser Remarks
1 FILL EM-ORDS FROM: YZ SUPPLIER (DEALERS ORDER THRU FAD)D
2 CAUSAL DESCRIPTN1: XX COMPONENT SHORTAGE
3 SUPPLIER STATING COMPONENT SHORTAGE (OIL PUMPS) WITH ETA FOR
4 61319 UNITS TO SHIP WEEK OF 7/8/19 AND WILL POST UPDATES WHEN THEY
5 61319 ARRIVE. UNTIL THEN ETA IS TBD.
6 61319 PLEASE TRY FMC DEALER WEB "PARTS LOCATOR".
7 72319 TIER1 SUPPLIER TO SHIP PUMPS TO SUPPLIER ON 7/29/19, ONCE
8 72319 ARRIVE WILL POST ACCURATE ETA. UNTIL THEN, ETA IS TBD.
9 80719 SUPPLIER STATING ANOTHER COMPONENT SHORTAGE (PHASER) WITH
10 80719 PRODUCTION DOWN AND ETA TO ARRIVE WEEK OF 8/12/19, WILL
11 80719 UPDATE ETA ONCE ARRIVE. UNTIL THEN ETA IS TBD.

I would get on the list & wait it out......If that's an option?? I almost guarantee you'd be better off fixing the engine you have than buying a 3rd party reman that has a bunch Chinese dumpster parts in it!

In fact I would call Sanderson Lincoln on Bell Rd in Phoenix armed with your VIN & see if the engine they have fits your truck, If it does.....Call service manager & warranty company to PRESS the issue.

I deal with Five Star Ford here in North Richland Hills, TX........They will get parts from other dealers if needed & I've never had to wait very long.

I've been enjoying this thread. I really like the idea of the aftermarket warranty...a lot of piece of mind.
Did you get it privately or through the seller?
I am curious what you have paid into the warranty since you got it, up until now when you needed it and if there is a deductible.

Originally Posted by Fitz98
I've been enjoying this thread. I really like the idea of the aftermarket warranty...a lot of piece of mind.
Did you get it privately or through the seller?
I am curious what you have paid into the warranty since you got it, up until now when you needed it and if there is a deductible.

Yeah, no problem, I'm definitely glad I got it! I paid 1600 for it, there's a $100 deductible and the coverage is 24month/24K miles. I purchased it from the dealer where I got the truck. I knew going in I may never use it but here I am! This repair alone is around $7,500. My total bill will be $100.

Another update:

Unfortunately the motor that's shown in stock at Sanderson Lincoln is not actually there. The gentleman I spoke to said it needs to be removed from the system as he's getting ALOT of calls for it. Also, warranty company says there's nothing i can do as far as the plan moving forward. In all fairness to them, they were going with OEM until the availability issue came up.

However.......some great news!! I spoke with Dahmer Powertrain to ask them about their warranty and parts supplier. The guy I spoke to said they use AER, same as Ford OEM. When I told him I was surprised, he said they do use AER because of the known issues with the motor AND because they use updated parts. Also, the 3yr/100K is legitimate!

It looks like you will do ok then. FWIW my sister has a 5.4L 2004 F-250 she bought new and other than exhaust manifold bolts there have been no problems with about 140,000 miles. 5W-20 synthetic all its life, changed at 5K miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silverado12
It looks like you will do ok then. FWIW my sister has a 5.4L 2004 F-250 she bought new and other than exhaust manifold bolts there have been no problems with about 140,000 miles. 5W-20 synthetic all its life, changed at 5K miles.

That's good 👠does the 04 F-250 have a 2v or 3v?

Just an update on this;

I was in the area of the dealership yesterday running errands so I decided to swing by and see if the truck was still in the back lot. It is, hasn't even moved yet. The motor was supposedly ordered on 8/15 but the advisor confirmed it's not there yet. He said he will call them today and see what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back