SimpleTire.com and FedEx... never again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hindsight shows that I made a foolish mistake in buying a set of tires from SimpleTire.com. The set was scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday of last week, per FedEx.

Instead, 3 tires showed up a day late, on Thursday. I asked the driver about the 4th tire... . nope, only 3 on the truck. So, I tracked the 4th tire, which claimed that it was at the local terminal. I contacted SimpleTire, so they were aware that three tires were delivered one day late, and the fourth hadn't arrived at all. They asked me to be patient on the 4th tire, and give it another day.

Friday morning, I tracked the 4th tire again. The tracking information shows that it had been at the local terminal, but that it had been shipped back outbound overnight. That really doesn't make any sense. The tracking info had been updated that "No scheduled delivery date available at this time" (I now know that this is code for "We have no idea where it is, or when we'll deliver it, if we deliver it at all"). Great.

I had made an appointment to have them installed on Friday, and had taken time off from work. I assumed that allowing 2 extra days for screw-ups would be sufficient. Nope. Not for SimpleTire and FedEx. I called to cancel the installation appointment.

I contacted SimpleTire again, and they stated that they'd contact FedEx and put a trace on the package, and that someone would update me. No one updates me.

Saturday morning, the FedEx Ground truck pulls up... but delivers a small package. I ask the driver if there's a tire on his truck. Nope, no tire. Still no updates from Simple or FedEx.

I call FedEx. Nothing on the trace. I contact Simple Tire. They stall again, refusing to do anything until Monday.

Taking a look at the three tires that I did get, I see a huge, sloppy, lazy mistake that SimpleTire made. They took the FedEx shipping label, and lazily slapped it to the tread of the tire. They were too lazy and too sloppy to properly secure the label to the tire, by putting a couple of strips of packing tape over the label and loopnig it across the bead. There is mold release and tread vents all over that tread, and the label on the fourth tire likely came off. It probably rubbed off on a piece of handing equipment, and now FedEx has a tire, sitting in a terminal somewhere, with no label on it.

So, SimpleTire and FedEx share the blame on this one. i'm not sure why the 3 tires were a day late, but they were. And this mess could have been likely avoided if SimpleTire acted like a competent company, and had properly prepared the tires for shipping.

SimpleTire claims that they are sending out a replacement tire this evening, so the fourth tire will end up being at least a week late. They should have sent one out on Friday or Saturday of last week, but since they're not really into customer service, they didn't.

I will be returning these tires to them, per their 30 day return policy, and getting tires from Walmart instead. I've had enough of their rubbish. The way that SimpleTire handled this issue, I don't even want to see how they will handle it when one of these tires doesn't balance out properly, or if one takes a huge amount of weight to balance. If this incident is any example, it will take them weeks to deal with it.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Taking a look at the three tires that I did get, I see a huge, sloppy, lazy mistake that SimpleTire made. They took the FedEx shipping label, and lazily slapped it to the tread of the tire.
Fedex and UPS have labels that are specifically designed to be used on tires. I think you've overanalyzed this (unless SimpleTire didn't use that type of label but considering they ship tires every day, I'll bet that's not the case).

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
So, SimpleTire and FedEx share the blame on this one. i'm not sure why the 3 tires were a day late, but they were. And this mess could have been likely avoided if SimpleTire acted like a competent company, and had properly prepared the tires for shipping.
UPS, Fedex, etc ship millions of packages every single day. Packages get misrouted, damaged, lost, and so on and it's just part of the game. It's going to happen to someone and in this case, it was you....

FedEx and UPS don't care about B2C or C2C transactions. Unless they're going from AND to a business address, they just don't care at all about what's being sent -- fragile, which service was paid for, delivery instructions. If Simpletire, or any other online retailer, acted immediately each time FedEx and UPS screwed up or lost a shipment for a few days, they'd be out of business from sending out replacement product and paying to ship back the old product.

Blame it on SimpleTire. If they'd labeled it correctly and packaged it correctly the shipment would have arrived the same day.

As for the 1st three tires arriving a day late? I bet SimpleTire was saving $$ and stepped down the shipping they said they were getting for you....

Originally Posted by JLTD
As for the 1st three tires arriving a day late? I bet SimpleTire was saving $$ and stepped down the shipping they said they were getting for you....
Neither UPS nor Fedex Ground have shipping choices 'lower' than their Ground service.

SimpleTire had very mixed reviews when I was checking them out while shopping for tires recently and while they had the tire I wanted with very attractive pricing I went with Amazon - SimpleTire was actual seller for the tire but fulfilled by Amazon so I knew I'd have safety blanket there.
Price was exactly same and tire in question was Sumitomo Encounter HT.

I've ordered tires online. Amazon, eBay, TireAmerica.com... they've ALWAYS been shipped with just the shipping label slapped on the tire, with a little tape over it.

I understand both sides... I've sold many things on eBay and also buy tons of stuff online. It's frustrating when stuff doesn't arrive on time or gets lost in shipping, but it's also a big cost to the companies just to send out another item right away and risk being out an entire tire or other item. Margins are slim these days, it's expensive to run a business... they need to do their due process to make a claim with the shipping company.

Currently I'm dealing with Newegg over a Solid State Drive I ordered with two-day shipping and UPS delivered it do a different apartment complex as per the UPS claims guy that called me. He told me to contact the seller and have them reach out to UPS to finalize the claim. Newegg said they'd give me a refund and to give them a day or two to contact UPS to confirm. Well, two days later my package shows up, a little beat up but it's here. No recap, it took a week to get an item that should have been here in two days. Newegg still hasn't reached out to me though. Is that poor customer service vs Amazon? I mean, yeah, if it was Amazon I'd have a free month of Prime and my new item would have been here the next day BUT companies like Amazon lose a lot of money on providing that type of customer service and subsidize those expenses due to how large of a company they are. Smaller companies just can't afford that.

Last edited:
I have made 2 separate orders from Simple Tire and both were shipped super fast via FedEx with no problems. I will be buying from them again. The first order was at my house less than 24 hours after I placed the order and I used the free ground shipping.

Originally Posted by dogememe
I've ordered tires online. Amazon, eBay, TireAmerica.com... they've ALWAYS been shipped with just the shipping label slapped on the tire, with a little tape over it.

I understand both sides... I've sold many things on eBay and also buy tons of stuff online. It's frustrating when stuff doesn't arrive on time or gets lost in shipping, but it's also a big cost to the companies just to send out another item right away and risk being out an entire tire or other item. Margins are slim these days, it's expensive to run a business... they need to do their due process to make a claim with the shipping company.

Currently I'm dealing with Newegg over a Solid State Drive I ordered with two-day shipping and UPS delivered it do a different apartment complex as per the UPS claims guy that called me. He told me to contact the seller and have them reach out to UPS to finalize the claim. Newegg said they'd give me a refund and to give them a day or two to contact UPS to confirm. Well, two days later my package shows up, a little beat up but it's here. No recap, it took a week to get an item that should have been here in two days. Newegg still hasn't reached out to me though. Is that poor customer service vs Amazon? I mean, yeah, if it was Amazon I'd have a free month of Prime and my new item would have been here the next day BUT companies like Amazon lose a lot of money on providing that type of customer service and subsidize those expenses due to how large of a company they are. Smaller companies just can't afford that.

Why don't you just drive there and pick it up?

I had stuff delivered to my address meant for other people and I'd just call the person (number on shipping label) and arrange to meet outside some close to me store like Home Depot or so and just give the package to the person.

That 4th tire had to be coming from a different warehouse or vendor subbing to Simple Tire. I've never seen tires not shipped in groups of 2 banded together, even the biggest LT tires.

Originally Posted by Miller88
If Simpletire, or any other online retailer, acted immediately each time FedEx and UPS screwed up or lost a shipment for a few days, they'd be out of business from sending out replacement product and paying to ship back the old product.
What the shipping companies will often do for high-volume businesses is offer very, very attractive discounts in return for waiving damage claims, lost shipments, and so on. This is why some companies try and stall you when a package is "lost". There is a good chance it will turn up - better late than never. In the case of damage, they'll often have negotiated a max amount that they (UPS, Fedex, etc) will pay out.

Originally Posted by c502cid
That 4th tire had to be coming from a different warehouse or vendor subbing to Simple Tire. I've never seen tires not shipped in groups of 2 banded together, even the biggest LT tires.

You have now. Four tires, shipped individually, on four different tracking numbers, and all originating in the same city.

Originally Posted by Miller88
If Simpletire, or any other online retailer, acted immediately each time FedEx and UPS screwed up or lost a shipment for a few days, they'd be out of business from sending out replacement product and paying to ship back the old product.

On this one, they're going to be paying for return shipping on 4 tires... instead of on none... per their 30 day "risk free" return policy.

Early on Friday morning, FedEx was admitting that there was a problem and declaring that there was "no scheduled delivery date" at that point.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Blame it on SimpleTire. If they'd labeled it correctly and packaged it correctly the shipment would have arrived the same day.

The Wednesday delivery date information came directly from FedEx, and not through SimpleTire. FedEx themselves should be able to accurately estimate when a package should arrive. This is far from their first rodeo.

On the contrary, I've always received them individually.

Originally Posted by dogememe

On the contrary, I've always received them individually.

Fedex, UPS, etc used to be cheaper if you packaged items into fewer 'packages' although there was a fine line between 'fewer' but 'heavier'. Today, all carriers like this use dimensional weight so often the dimensions of the package determines the cost vs the weight.

This ^^ may be why they used to bundle tires (or anything) together but it doesn't happen as often nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back