Wife's new commute, what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a vehicle that has a similar commute, it also has errands etc, but rarely runs for more than 30 minuets at a time, all in town. No special warm up, just start and go. I change the oil twice a year with cheap synthetic and orange frams @ a cost of $20, I never even look at the odometer.

Don't bother harping on your wife to walk or ride a bike. It's a nice luxury these days to work so close to home. The time saved covers the cost of an extra oil change.

Hwy run a couple times a month and stay at 5k interval. Get a UOA after 1st full interval of those driving habits and alter oil change interval if needed. I bring my kid to daycare morning and night, same distance about and 5k miles on UOA shows I could of likely gone 7500miles and still be ok.

Originally Posted by JoelB
The car is parked in a reasonably warm garage (not heated) overnight. Most of what we do is within 10 miles so it wont see much other regular highway use.

Honestly I wouldn't stress over it. You park it in a garage so that's a lot better than it staying outside. Just take it for a longer drive periodically.

You could get an oil extractor and change just the oil at a much shorter interval. How much oil does a "Spark" hold?

Clearly this is going to be tough on the car especially in winter.

Hmm.. tough on a car and less that ideal are two completely different things.

How about switching cars once or twice a week?
Assuming that your commute is something >10 miles and/or 20 minutes.....

Cars exist to serve their owners. Not the other way around.

So, Drive the car. Just change oil on the "severe" schedule and don't think another thing about it.

I wouldn't worry about it. There are a few vehicles that drain the battery and never recharge it with short trip drivers such as an older Honda Fit.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Clearly this is going to be tough on the car especially in winter.

Hmm.. tough on a car and less that ideal are two completely different things.

How about switching cars once or twice a week?
Assuming that your commute is something >10 miles and/or 20 minutes.....

Brilliant Idea!

Originally Posted by gfh77665

So, Drive the car. Just change oil on the "severe" schedule and don't think another thing about it.

Proper maintenance colliding with "exist(ing) to serve their owners" can be destructive reasoning.

Originally Posted by Dyusik
Originally Posted by JMJNet
IMO, I would not worry about the OCI on her car.

There are a lot of other problems that may need your attention.

I'm with this sober mind.

And this Forum on which you comment is about?
smile.gif

I will say I've been at times and places going through this life this decade where Auto maintenance certainly takes the back seat to family tragedy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by gfh77665

Proper maintenance colliding with "exist(ing) to serve their owners" can be destructive reasoning.

I disagree. I maintain my vehicles very well, but they are there to perform for me when I need it.

I own them, not the other way around. No conflict there.

Just keep an eye on the oil to watch for excess moisture and go by the OLM (sounds like you will hit the 1 year before mileage though).
An hour or so highway ride should help with moisture buildup (and being a port injected, should not have much a fuel dilution issue).
I have found the GM OLM to be pretty accurate overall.
If you do an annual change, I would do it right before winter.
I also would probably switch to the cheapest syn I could find (but if you get in on the M1 rebate and buy at Walmart on roll back, M1 tends to be the cheapest).

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
At .7 miles, I would be walking to work.

Get back to me when it is -20.

I did that for 17 years and never had any problems with my cars because of it. Take the car out of town every now and then on a trip to warm it up good and it will rust out long before the engine gives out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back