STOP changing your oil so often!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by cwhard

I haven't changed my oil for over a year and a half. Simply no need. Would be glad to publish my next Independent Lab Result at the next oil change (in a few months).

Oil: Amsoil Signature Series 0W20
Filter: Amsoil 15,000 mile synthetic media

For you guys still chasing your tails changing oil. If you enjoy the exercise, be my guest! I personally like saving all that spilled oil from the environment...

Put Amsoil in it and forget it!

-Tex

Spilling oil into the environment? Who does that? I recycle it at Autozone. Some of us have the misfortune of owning GM vehicles like my wife's Equinox that chronically burns oil and has class action lawsuits where GM has to replace the faulty rings because they burn so much oil. Won't qualify for any replacement if it wasn't Dexos-approved oil on the receipts.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by saginawmale50
Not so sure people with DI would agree with that.

I'm sure people don't understand the few percentage of fuel dulution in engines does not harm the lube nor the engine.
Some people may understand carbon and timing chain wear though.

Last edited:
I skip the oil all together. It's completely overrated. Mechanics and car manufacturers have suckered you into believing that you need to spend your hard earned money on "engine lubricants" every so often. This is a concerted lie. Do what I do. Fry up some bacon, pour the bacon grease into your car, eat the bacon. I do have to buy a new car every few weeks which is a hassle, but I mean, I also eat bacon a lot so you win some and you lose some.

Originally Posted by JustN89
I skip the oil all together. It's completely overrated. Mechanics and car manufacturers have suckered you into believing that you need to spend your hard earned money on "engine lubricants" every so often. This is a concerted lie. Do what I do. Fry up some bacon, pour the bacon grease into your car, eat the bacon. I do have to buy a new car every few weeks which is a hassle, but I mean, I also eat bacon a lot so you win some and you lose some.

Next time just add some moly into your grease, that should help.
Also, do a UOA, maybe you just need to change it more often than 1 week.
And the last but not least, try Amsoil bacon with fully synthetic fat, it'll provide you with the best protection

Joined over ten years ago and laid dormant until yesterday.

Hmm

So you are so superior because you have nothing better to do? I just retired and now have the time. Why not Welcome me instead (of being a jerk)?

-Tex

Reminds me of someone else who was here recently. The response is almost the same as well. Was it from Texas too?

People don't like to be told what to do. Your first mistake.

I haven't changed my oil for over a year and a half. Simply no need. Would be glad to publish my next Independent Lab Result at the next oil change (in a few months).

For you guys still chasing your tails changing oil. If you enjoy the exercise, be my guest! I personally like saving all that spilled oil from the environment...

-Tex

The last time I followed this advice I had turbo failure. And I was running Amsoil. Perhaps you would like to pay for my turbo replacement? It was only $2,000.

It's not wise to recommend extended OCI's across the board, even with good uoa's.

Haven't read anything this funny since our old buddy GHT left, with his Volvo collection!
crazy.gif

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by saginawmale50
Not so sure people with DI would agree with that.
I'm sure people don't understand the few percentage of fuel dulution in engines does not harm the lube nor the engine.
With the OP suggesting a 1 year OCI (and no other data), I am certain that a DI engine (if driven) on a 1 year OCI will have more than a few percentage points of fuel dilution.

I mean, I guess if you just traveled around town and was always close to service with a leased car.

But I'd rather not have my turbo sheer itself 3000 miles away from home. I also do not want to replace an engine again. Ever.

What is it with certain products that inspire a cult-like following?

There are plenty of things I use regularly, Some I even swear by. But I don't rush to every forum and post about it in multiple threads to spread the "good word" and accuse the non-believers of being scared. Maybe I'm the broken one?

Originally Posted by bluesubie

-Tex

The last time I followed this advice I had turbo failure. And I was running Amsoil. Perhaps you would like to pay for my turbo replacement? It was only $2,000.

It's not wise to recommend extended OCI's across the board, even with good uoa's.

Yep, also following blanket statements can be costly. My advise if you plan on running extended OCI's is to have a UOA so you have data, you can utilize for your application. That's why I did. What's good for John in Texas might not be good for Joe in NY. UOA's are far from perfect, but still better than diving into an extended OCI blindly because someone on a message board said it was OK.

No problem if the vehicle is not short tripped and the oil gets to full temperature for quite awhile. I'm talking about vehicles that don't get a lot of miles per year put on them, and the mileage on the oil is way less than the time.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
CARJ said:
Stop telling me how to maintain my vehicles...

Exactly. I will keep doing my 5K OCIs as it is much cheaper than an engine.

Exactly. I will keep doing my 1K, yearly OCI as it is much cheaper than an engine.

I would offer you are causing more were and tear by over-changing the oil.
And I would be correct.
smile.gif

Sort of the reasoning that blood-letting by leaches and the Barber's razor went out of Vogue a couple centuries back. Unnecessary and potentially sickening over-maintenance.

All in moderation, they say.

I haven't changed oil since George W. Bush was in office. Nearly 100k km's ago.

With modern DI engines, even longer intervals are quite realistic given how clean such engines burn.

There's even a pretty good argument to be made that frequent oil changes are the cause of many engine related problems, such as intake clogging. I don't know what the term for such is, but in the medical field, such would be called "iatrogenic illness".

I haven't changed my oil for over a year and a half. Simply no need. Would be glad to publish my next Independent Lab Result at the next oil change (in a few months). Oil: Amsoil Signature Series 0W20
Put Amsoil in it and forget it! -Tex

And you claim there is non need after over 18 months based on What?
How old is you clunker?
Would you say the same to the manufacturer if something failed and they refused warranty work?
18.gif

Last edited:

-Tex

*sigh* This again..

Tex, while it may work for you and your vehicle, it doesn't work for everyone, nor does it work for all vehicles. Making a blanket statement like this is STUPID.

I drive approximately 30,000 miles a year just commuting to and from work. Your above statement will not work for me.

Additionally, the extra cost of Amsoil over the oil I can buy at WalMart, Amazon, Autozone, etc.. does not provide any cost savings, and in fact may cost MORE for the same interval, which is 7,500 miles. I can buy a 5-quart jug of Castrol Magnatec, for each OCI, and a Fram Ultra filter every other OCI, and spend roughly $48 for the two OCIs over 15,000 miles. Can you say the same for your scenario?

.. and "saving all that spilled oil from the environment"? What spilled oil are you referring to? I take my used oil in for recycling, and I rarely ever spill even a drop on my driveway, since I use a large metal tray underneath, and am always very careful when draining. So, what exactly are you referring to?

welcome2.gif

I use the OLM on my cars using Pennzoil or Quaker State or any other good named brand oil that is on sale, I recycle the oil and have never had an engine oil related failure in any car I have ever owned since I got my licence (over 30 years)

Put in any good oil at regularly maintained intervals and forget it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back