orange spots white car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a white 2018 A4, After it rains I see orange spots on the car that do not come off that easily when washing. What is this and any suggestions to remove safely

Last edited:
Yep, that's called rail dust. (Pieces of metal from the air that embed the paint.) Not sure if I'd want to use any harsh chemicals, however I've had some success working them out with a clay bar and quick detailer (sort of kneading them out of the paint).

Do you work near an industrial park, steel mill etc?

Dad had this issue years ago with his white Tahoe. I believe his friend who detailed cars at the time recommended a type of clay bar? I remember him saying the dust was in the air and when it rained, it brought it back down.

This happens to my wife's white car some times. In the morning when the car is covered in condensation, tiny buds from a nearby dogwood tree stick to the finish. When the sun comes up and dries the morning dew, it sometimes leaves behind irregular orange spots. Keeping the finish waxed makes it pretty easy to wash off the spots.

Ray

Originally Posted by RayCJ
This happens to my wife's white car some times. In the morning when the car is covered in condensation, tiny buds from a nearby dogwood tree stick to the finish. When the sun comes up and dries the morning dew, it sometimes leaves behind irregular orange spots. Keeping the finish waxed makes it pretty easy to wash off the spots.

Ray

I am more inclined to believe this is issue not rail dust. I do not live near any industry and the nearest rail line is about 10 miles away

Rail dust was mentioned because many cars are shipped by rail to their destination points. Do you know the Port of Entry for your Audi? It may be close.

It has to be either industrial pollution or organic. Whichever it is, the solution will be the same. A thorough wash with Dawn or equivalent and a clay treatment. Afterwards another wash with a good quality car shampoo. Polishing is at your discretion. I would apply a good sealant or coating to your Audi. That will help in the cleaning process down the road.

Originally Posted by raaizin
I have a white 2018 A4, After it rains I see orange spots on the car that do not come off that easily when washing. What is this and any suggestions to remove safely

Are they mostly on the rear bumper and trunk lid?

This is a big reason why i don't like white cars anymore. Used to be my favorite car color until i realized I'd have to decontaminate and polish it every spring to get the rust spots off from winter.

Have you ever put your face close up to examine the spots? Often, just a good inspection will tell you what is happening.

My wife has a white Kia Sorento. We used to live on a busy street and she parked it in the street out front. It was always covered in little rust spots. Now we live on a quiet street next to a huge wooded area. Car is way cleaner than it used to be.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Have you ever put your face close up to examine the spots? Often, just a good inspection will tell you what is happening.

I am pretty sure its organic as it also occurs when I dont move car after wash. It is on all horizontal surfaces. I have meguires hybrid ceramic on it. Is there anything I can apply which might be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back