New Exide Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Forgot to post this a couple weeks ago when I took the pics.

A friend of mine owns a mechanic shop and uses Exide batteries (supplied by his parts supplier). He's had pretty decent luck with them, although has had some leakers (including my Jeep).

He showed me the new design they have, of having a sealed top now. His supplier said this was to combat the leakers.

I know a lot on here aren't Exide fans, but maybe they're making some strides in improvement? First 2 pics are 2 on his rack, a new style and an old style. As well as a pic of a new and old style side by side, although not the same model.

Other than the leaker on my Jeep, I've had pretty good service out of them.

2C4A2BD2-F828-4B79-BABE-F840BABD7923.jpeg

53A6486D-5036-4925-B77F-438D8787775A.jpeg

F67235D4-0EE4-4C67-A655-C0F9D3BB2A62.jpeg

About a year and a half ago, I caught some Exide sourced batteries that had been made in South Korea. They had a different case design as well.

Did these have any indication as to where they were manufactured?

Who makes them these days?

Are they any better than say Everstart Maxx from Walmart?

My 530i will be needing a new battery soon, I think.

I am not knowledgeable enough to tell much difference from the photos . Been buying what ever Walmart sells . Get 3 - 4 years from them .

Wyr
God bless

Rural KIng batteries are made by Exide. I haven't had any problems with them. I do have to WalMart Maxx batteries in my garage being charged. Exide used to make the NAPA batteries years ago. They weren't too good.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Who makes them these days?

Are they any better than say Everstart Maxx from Walmart?

My 530i will be needing a new battery soon, I think.

Around these parts (at least) Maxx batteries (and everything Walmart sells) is now Exide.

I had a marine group 27 Exide Nautilus battery from ~'04 to '07. That thing was an acid spewer, from the caps. It retained its capacity surprisingly well in deep cycle duty compared to the wally world marine batteries I was using then.

I think it required lower absorption voltages than most marine batteries, and my vehicle's voltage regulation back then would allow 14.9v after start up and periodically 14.9 for no particular reason, even when hot. These higher voltages do cause more aggressive bubbling on flooded batteries which can push electrolyte past the caps.

I have found most flooded marine batteries in general need 14.7v or higher absorption voltage to reach full charge in a reasonable amount of time, so this old marine Exide was likely an exception that would probably have been been happier receiving 14.2 to 14.4v until full at 77f battery temperature.

I've No personal experience with more modern Exide batteries, and therefore no opinion on what's currently being made by them, and pretty much disregard other's opinions unless it is on recently made batteries, and still take that with a grain of salt as few have any idea about what a battery needs to remain healthy, or any way to judge its capacity or CCA retainment, much less the tools and knowledge to do so.

Leaky is another thing though, if overtightened clamps are not the cause.

My marine Exide battery did not leak from the posts, but from the caps. I used the threaded studs and wingnuts for my connections, hard to overtorque with wingnuts and fingers.

I might have seen one of those at AZ a few weekends ago. I avoided Exide since the Kragen days - but somehow the ones used for OEM fitment as well as the few Bosch ones I've seen leak but last a long time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back