HOA Against Classic Truck owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lawsuits will solely come down to what is the definition of moderate body damage. If it is not clearly defined, then this thing can go either way. In my mind, I understand Patina being a sought after look these days (I for one like it on classic cars). I also understand many do not like it. How that relates to "moderate body damage" will be the issue.

I'm also failing to understand why he doesn't just swap one vehicle out of the garage for this one. Problem solved.

His veteran status is pointless in this one. He signed an agreement to abide by the HOA rules. He may not like their interpretation. However, he agreed to be bound by them.

Glad I don't live in an HOA and yet somehow still have a decent looking neighborhood. Amazing...

I still say, his truck does not have moderate to severe body damage. His body has no damage, he has worn paint. He is in compliance with the rules.

When house hunting, he probably noticed how nice that neighborhood was. All the homes and yards are well maintained, no one parks outside. He must have known they have strict rules which made the street nice.

You have to give up some individuality and personal freedom in return for nice curb appeal, but he appears unwilling. People with his mindset should not buy in an HOA.

Even if he wins this, I'm sure the board will change the rules to prohibit rusted cars parking outside. He'll lose the next time.

He should respect the spirit of the law which made the neighborhood attractive to him in the first place. Park that piece of s-- inside your garage

I would put on cutoff coveralls with no shirt underneath, a fake beard and a big straw hat, sport a huge cigar and walk my dog like that everyday. Soon the truck would be welcome as opposed to that.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I still say, his truck does not have moderate to severe body damage. His body has no damage, he has worn paint. He is in compliance with the rules.

This

Originally Posted by MNgopher
I'm also failing to understand why he doesn't just swap one vehicle out of the garage for this one. Problem solved.

Most likely the ones IN the garage are inop or look worse than this one.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by MNgopher

Most likely the ones IN the garage are inop or look worse than this one.

Or, the ones in his garage are nicer and he wants to keep them protected.

If I were him I'd have clear coat sprayed over it so he can say it's a custom paint job.

Screw that HOA, that truck looks fine.

HOAs are intended well, but a lot of them, if not most of them go overboard with restrictions...

It is my impression that HOA's exist in areas where folks living without HOA's tend to revert to weeds in the yard hiding the rust bucket on cinder blocks as well as the rusted washing machine.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Fawteen
"Classic" is in the eye of the beholder.
While I'm no fan of HOAs, this guy knowingly purchased a home with significant covenants and restrictions. He also made the choice to purchase a questionable vehicle and plop it onto the driveway. It's also clear that he's egging the HOA on, he could just park one of the other vehicles outside and park the truck in the garage.

We don't have an HOA with any restrictions here (just a $35 annual fee for mowing the divided roadway into the sub division, upkeep of the sign, and the annual "know your neighbors" street party). He made the choice to buy a home knowing full well the HOA restrictions and covenants, and what would happen if he broke the restrictions. If he's very, very lucky he'll get a sympathetic judge who will rule in his favor. But I don't feel any sympathy for him. His choices have consequences.

Indeed. Zero empathy for a blowhard that's too self-entitled to bother adhering to /becoming acquainted with CC&R's. The reality is that the vast majority of individuals who have problems with their HOA are just hats.

The vast majority of people who support HOA bylaws are shelf rightous hats who have so much self worth they are worried about matters which are not their business.

Sometimes but it IS the business of the HOA. That's the point of an HOA. If you don't like it don't live in one. it's that simple. To claim it's some violation of ones property rights when the property owner freely enters into the contract with the HOA is just idiocy. It's akin to blaming a bank for foreclosing because the homeowner no longer felt like making the mortgage payment.

IMO the problem is that the fake "rust" makes it look like it has body damage. I think many here would equate "rust" with body damage. You can bet that the HOA will update their bylaws to cover something like "appearance of body damage". The homeowner is an idiot.

Last edited:
Sometimes but it IS the business of the HOA. That's the point of an HOA. If you don't like it don't live in one. it's that simple. To claim it's some violation of ones property rights when the property owner freely enters into the contract with the HOA is just idiocy. It's akin to blaming a bank for foreclosing because the homeowner no longer felt like making the mortgage payment.

I hate HOAs too, but thus is the great freedom of this country. The guy had the freedom to move into an HOA, and he has the freedom to move out of the HOA that he signed into if he wishes so.

IMO the problem is that the fake "rust" makes it look like it has body damage. I think many here would equate "rust" with body damage. You can bet that the HOA will update their bylaws to cover something like "appearance of body damage". The homeowner is an idiot.

The only true idiots are the ones worried about a rusty truck owned by someone they will never meet
Living in a place they will never see.

Also those who state you can choose not to live in an HOA isn't fully accurate.
1/3 of homes are HOA controlled, another 1/3 are rentals
Some areas it's not possible to avoid, have to move out of the state and get a different job.

The reality is rules on appearance should just be banned, everyone doesn't buy a 50's era truck put it on blocks dump oil on their neighbors driveway disconnect their plumbing and cut a hole in their roof because there isn't any HOA to do **** inspections.

When I see a bunch of ninnies worrying about grass length, the quality of somebody's paint job or some other meaningless thing,
I figure we are ready to have China march across the nation and take control, won't be anyone to stop them.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

The only true idiots are the ones worried about a rusty truck owned by someone they will never meet
Living in a place they will never see.

Also those who state you can choose not to live in an HOA isn't fully accurate.
1/3 of homes are HOA controlled, another 1/3 are rentals
Some areas it's not possible to avoid, have to move out of the state and get a different job.

The reality is rules on appearance should just be banned, everyone doesn't buy a 50's era truck put it on blocks dump oil on their neighbors driveway disconnect their plumbing and cut a hole in their roof because there isn't any HOA to do **** inspections.

When I see a bunch of ninnies worrying about grass length, the quality of somebody's paint job or some other meaningless thing,
I figure we are ready to have China march across the nation and take control, won't be anyone to stop them.

My state is like that as well. If I can help it I will never again live in a gated HOA because in many cases the county which approved the development allows the developer to take certain liberties with regards to street width, setbacks, etc. The reality is that many regulations found within HOA's are also found in city/county zoning/land use (for you Texans) laws. Everyone has the freedom to move. Convenience though isn't a right.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by mk378
If it's truly a classic, wouldn't he want to protect it from weather in the garage?
Some places don't allow any pickup truck with an open bed to be kept outside. That's a lot less ambiguous than this "body damage" thing.

This was the case where I grew up...late in his life, my father was really taken with the idea of buying a pickup just for fun and was even talking to former coworkers about a used one that his former workplace was going to sell.
However, his town didn't allow "work vehicles" to be parked in driveways on a daily basis and there was no way any reasonable pickup was going to fit in his tiny garage.
Dad even thought about having part of his fence torn down and a concrete pad poured in his backyard for parking the truck...in the end, he never did get a pickup.
Funny thing was that a neighbor parked a coffee service truck or van on the street nearby for years...don't know if that was OK or he was just ignoring the rules. I did notice back then that he moved that thing around on the street constantly, even when he wasn't working, so maybe that was just so he could say it wasn't being left in one spot for long?

Wow, hadn't heard that one about pickups. Considering that a pickup costs as much as a Mercedes, this seems kind of stupid. Actual work trucks and vans are another story, but even that's a bit much of it's just one in a driveway.

There were a lot of interesting restrictions there...at some point before 1950 (when our house was built), it was mandated that all houses had to be brick or stone.
Our house was really a two bedroom with my parents using the dining room as their bedroom, and most of the houses in town were similarly modest (although generally well built).
This was a suburb very close to Chicago and, as the belt of suburbs grew very far out from the city, suddenly people were looking for houses in town that could be expanded to give the wealthy prospective owners a more reasonable commute to the Loop.
Somebody figured out a loophole in that the code allowed a second floor to be wood as long as the first floor was brick/stone....within about ten years, maybe half of the bungalows within a few block's distance of our house had wood framed/sided second stories added.

I never figured out if it was OK for our neighbor to park his coffee truck on the street or he was skirting the rules....he had a small garage off the alley with no real driveway, I'd guess that thing would never have fit in his garage. The strange way he would move that truck around during the day made me suspect he was up to something....dad would fume if he parked in front of our house as we had three vehicles and dad liked to have one in the garage, one in the driveway, and one on the street right in front of the house. Couldn't really do anything about it, but I think dad did call the police once when the coffee truck was parked in front of our fire hydrant. Those two men were not friends!

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
Sky, I know what you say is true. But I live in New Jersey. We are on top of one another. To finally have, after 45 years of private ownership, a sheriff in town to regulate behavior is surprisingly refreshing. Like I said, if the shoe doesn't fit, don't buy it!

Two of my coworkers lived in the town I worked in when I first moved to New England. They were both driven to desperation by slobby hoarding neighbors.
In both cases, their neighborhoods were fine when they moved in...in one case, some slobbo moved in next door, and in the other, a good neighbor lost their mental balance, went senile, or both.
In both cases, nearby roughly 1 acre lots grew to be covered by inoperative vehicles, piles of wood and metal, old toilets, etc etc. The town regulations were apparently pretty weak and officials told my coworkers they could only force a cleanup in the case of piles of actual trash (like food waste and old papers, apparently piles of 2X4s and old mufflers were OK) or if there were clear signs of vermin infestation (basically they had to see rats running around, mice were OK as there were plenty of natural deer mice in the woods). The slobs learned the rules and were careful to only leave junk strewn around their lots and not (much) trash.
My poor coworkers were left with no recourse and were more or less financially trapped in their houses as nobody in their right mind would choose to buy a house near these junk piles and the slobboes who owned them.
I live one town over from there and you just do not see places like that in my town....our government is very no nonsense and this kind of thing must be well covered by our local ordinances. Strangely enough, our property values are also much higher than in our neighboring town.
I am not a busybody and don't hector my neighbors about minor things...for example, a next door neighbor doesn't care to put much effort into his lawn and it is mostly weeds. He keeps the weeds mowed and I kind of like it as I think it makes my own mediocre lawn look better by comparison, although that effect is probably minor as our lawns our down a valley and through the woods from each other. I wouldn't even dream of saying a word about his lawn. But, I would take a restrictive HOA any day over living next to a junk pile and not being able to do anything about it. I will say that my inlaws lived next to a junk piler after they retired, but they had 20 acres so it wasn't really an issue....they actually liked the guy and would socialize with him, probably easier to tolerate when his piles are 1/4 mile or whatever away.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by mk378
If it's truly a classic, wouldn't he want to protect it from weather in the garage?
Some places don't allow any pickup truck with an open bed to be kept outside. That's a lot less ambiguous than this "body damage" thing.

This was the case where I grew up...late in his life, my father was really taken with the idea of buying a pickup just for fun and was even talking to former coworkers about a used one that his former workplace was going to sell.
However, his town didn't allow "work vehicles" to be parked in driveways on a daily basis and there was no way any reasonable pickup was going to fit in his tiny garage.
Dad even thought about having part of his fence torn down and a concrete pad poured in his backyard for parking the truck...in the end, he never did get a pickup.
Funny thing was that a neighbor parked a coffee service truck or van on the street nearby for years...don't know if that was OK or he was just ignoring the rules. I did notice back then that he moved that thing around on the street constantly, even when he wasn't working, so maybe that was just so he could say it wasn't being left in one spot for long?

Wow, hadn't heard that one about pickups. Considering that a pickup costs as much as a Mercedes, this seems kind of stupid. Actual work trucks and vans are another story, but even that's a bit much of it's just one in a driveway.

There were a lot of interesting restrictions there...at some point before 1950 (when our house was built), it was mandated that all houses had to be brick or stone.
Our house was really a two bedroom with my parents using the dining room as their bedroom, and most of the houses in town were similarly modest (although generally well built).
This was a suburb very close to Chicago and, as the belt of suburbs grew very far out from the city, suddenly people were looking for houses in town that could be expanded to give the wealthy prospective owners a more reasonable commute to the Loop.
Somebody figured out a loophole in that the code allowed a second floor to be wood as long as the first floor was brick/stone....within about ten years, maybe half of the bungalows within a few block's distance of our house had wood framed/sided second stories added.

I never figured out if it was OK for our neighbor to park his coffee truck on the street or he was skirting the rules....he had a small garage off the alley with no real driveway, I'd guess that thing would never have fit in his garage. The strange way he would move that truck around during the day made me suspect he was up to something....dad would fume if he parked in front of our house as we had three vehicles and dad liked to have one in the garage, one in the driveway, and one on the street right in front of the house. Couldn't really do anything about it, but I think dad did call the police once when the coffee truck was parked in front of our fire hydrant. Those two men were not friends!

The coffee truck was secretly a HOA Spymobile?
Seems plausible.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
The coffee truck was secretly a HOA Spymobile?
Seems plausible.

It's the source of that "NSA van" wifi signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back