PUP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by irv
I have read, since GM charges 6 cents per jug, that Pennzoil refused to pay that to have that D1G2 designation on their bottles.

Maybe they'll wait until the GF-6 spec sorts itself out. It must be frustrating to chase spec and half spec after spec in such a short period.

Originally Posted by dubber09
I may try the RGT but not 'cos I need to use some 'manlier looking product' to feel better... LOL

That was just a joke. Based on voa it's a great oil. I got some for the next OCI, will combine with purolator boss for the max amount of manliness

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SlavaB
I may try the RGT but not 'cos I need to use some 'manlier looking product' to feel better... LOL

That was just a joke. Based on voa it's a great oil. I got some for the next OCI, will combine with purolator boss for the max amount of manliness

I'm not so sure if I'd call it great, but it seems to be at the least a perfectly adequate oil with a pretty typical additive package for a SN+. It'd be absolutely fine if you get it at a good price, but I wouldn't pay a premium for it. It seems a marginal step up from QSUD in terms of additives, but it lacks the GTL base of Pennzoil Platinum, IIRC.

Originally Posted by turnbowm
Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Why doesn't SOPUS pursue D1 / Gen 2 approval for PUP ?

I have read, since GM charges 6 cents per jug, that Pennzoil refused to pay that to have that D1G2 designation on their bottles....

That makes no sense. PZ has no problem paying GM for PP certification.

Haha. GM making money on their certifications is brilliant as blender sends in a gallon of oil for GM to approve then oil companies pay blender for formula and lastly GM charges for the Dexos label to be on the front of bottle so everyone is fooled into Dexos is the best of the best. The government set up the starbust with SN or SN+ and GL5 so the consumer will know if oil is up to standard. How many times does a manufacturer check oil companies to make sure that the oil meets it standard? There is a lawyer couple of years ago that sent a letter to courts against GM and their ability to have Dexos on the front of bottle (saying better than GL5) and telling owners to use or else language.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
The government didn't do that, though. Also, remember that GL-5 is not an engine oil specification. That would be GF-5.

You are correct. GL 5 is gear oil. Good catch.

*This could be true ... I wonder how close the new SN+ PUP is to meeting or exceeding D1/Gen2 without the official GM license ?
Originally Posted by irv

I have read, since GM charges 6 cents per jug, that Pennzoil refused to pay that to have that D1G2 designation on their bottles.

I have no idea how true that is so don't shoot the messanger.

Recently, and since I had one 5 Ltr jug of PUP 5W-30 in my personal stash, I decided to use it in my son's 08 Malibu with the 2.4 Ecotec engine and couldn't believe how quiet it ran after firing it back up.

I know some will say this is bunk, and that is fine, but I definitely noticed a difference as did my son when he took it for a drive a few hours later. The previous fill only had 5,000 kms (3,000 miles) on it so it wasn't like the previous fill was worn out and the reason why the engine was slightly nosier prior to the OC. The previous fill was PP 5W-30.

*This could be true ... I wonder how close the new SN+ PUP is to meeting or exceeding D1/Gen2 without the official GM license ?
Originally Posted by irv

I have no idea how true that is so don't shoot the messanger.

Recently, and since I had one 5 Ltr jug of PUP 5W-30 in my personal stash, I decided to use it in my son's 08 Malibu with the 2.4 Ecotec engine and couldn't believe how quiet it ran after firing it back up.

I know some will say this is bunk, and that is fine, but I definitely noticed a difference as did my son when he took it for a drive a few hours later. The previous fill only had 5,000 kms (3,000 miles) on it so it wasn't like the previous fill was worn out and the reason why the engine was slightly nosier prior to the OC. The previous fill was PP 5W-30.

I am 99.9% confident that I read that information here. Also, IIRC, Pennzoil (PUP) already had met that standard before it even became a standard and that is also another reason why they chose not to pay GM 6 cents a bottle to put the D1G2 designation on their bottles?

I am pretty sure, because of GM's affiliation with Mobil, that some oil politics also like come into play here, but that is just speculation on my part.
12.gif

I got 5 quarts 5w30 PUP from Amazon with a rebate that made it dirt cheap, like $12 for the jug. Can't wait to pour it in at the next change and experience the ultimate in cleanest pistons ever.

Just a heads up to those who don't get their MIR, I submitted mine online on Jul 31st and got my cheque today, so 2 weeks turn around.

Just a heads up to those who don't get their MIR, I submitted mine online on Jul 31st and got my cheque today, so 2 weeks turn around.

Mine was fairly quick this year as well.

Thanks for the reminder that I need to cash the cheque.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back