Automotive tech sweet spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MCompact
As I stated on another website, the N55 3.0 liter DI turbo in my M235i makes 330 ft lb of torque from 1,400-4,500 rpm; coupled with the great ZF 8HP45 automatic you are almost never caught out of the power band. Having grown up in the '60s and '70s I still find it amazing that you can buy a car that runs the quarter in 13 seconds flat yet still return over 26 mpg in daily driving and 32 mpg or better on the highway.
These ARE the good old days.

And it's only going to get better. People complained when carbeurators went the way of the dinosaurs that the technology was too advanced. And cars were too difficult for the average person to repair.

Originally Posted by MCompact
As I stated on another website, the N55 3.0 liter DI turbo in my M235i makes 330 ft lb of torque from 1,400-4,500 rpm; coupled with the great ZF 8HP45 automatic you are almost never caught out of the power band. Having grown up in the '60s and '70s I still find it amazing that you can buy a car that runs the quarter in 13 seconds flat yet still return over 26 mpg in daily driving and 32 mpg or better on the highway.
These ARE the good old days.

I couldn't agree more. My first cars were in good shape but were maintenance nightmares! Every time you blinked an eye, it was one thing or another. Drum brakes on all 4's -they sucked. Points, condenser, rotor and spark plugs every year. Distributor cap every couple years. Ignition wires every few years. Carb adjustments twice a year. Rusted mufflers and pipes every few years. Shock absorbers every few years. Belts, hoses and anti-freeze flush every couple years. Alternators and water pumps every 40,000 miles... All this and when it hit 80,000 miles, you knew it only had 10-20k miles before it would start burning oil.

Ah yes, those were the days -and I'm glad they are gone forever!

Ray

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

I agree with the first part about 10 year mortgages on vehicles but I don't think vehicles will last 300k until they are all electric. I think the weak point now is the transmissions and in some cases engines.

If they are all electric the only likely long term major repair you can count on is a battery replacement and hopefully that will become more affordable in the long run.

As far as cars now go, it doesn't take much to write off a higher mileage or slightly older car with expensive repairs.

True. In the grand scheme of things, it may not happen in the US. It may however happen if they decide to ship them oversea to refurb, and then sell locally as CPO+. Paint job is expensive here but not there, so are transmission rebuild, engine rebuild, reupholster, etc. Bring those cars oversea and they'll refurb and sell well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back