so the T4R started using a little coolant ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
@153k I had all the OEM water pump, thermostat, serpentine. 3 pullies and the tensioner parts and had this planned for 150k so scheduled shop time with my mechanic, he opens it up
and discovered the radiator has a small leak up toward the neck so ordered a radiator replacement...not the Toyota for $200...not the Denso for $100..but
ordered the $53 Klimoto from ebay...thought process was the OEM didn't last forever and the Denso is Chinese anyway why not take a flier on the
Klimoto? it actually weighs 16lbs. 2 more that the Toyota and not a huge job to replace on it's own...thoughts?

Klimoto radiator auction

Last edited:
As a former master tech at Toyota and independent shops, and not being able to compare this radiator to OEM, I'll just wish you good luck.

I have had good luck with the $100 Denso replacement but not sure I would get the cheapest one. The cooling system is certainly not something you want to fail.

in a sense I'm glad it was the radiator and not a head eating the coolant, mine was made after the factory switched gaskets
but I'm always thinking worst case...this Klimoto sells alot of radiators and they regard themselves quite highly stating
they meet or exceed OEM specs..my mechanic said in out climate radiators with plastic tanks aren't long for the world
regardless.

Last edited:
I never go for the cheapest replacement part. I go at least one step up from the bottom. I also never go for the most expensive, either. Mostly name brands, reasonably priced.

like I mentioned took a flier on this, I see my Lexus radiator has been replaced (replacement brand unknown but the upper hose reads USA) so
these Toyota OEM radiators aren't all that great anyway.

I have heard of the brand however I am a big fan on denso overall. Plus, given the cost of the labor for all that you had done, i would have coughed up another $50 for denso.

Originally Posted by FirstNissan
I have heard of the brand however I am a big fan on denso overall. Plus, given the cost of the labor for all that you had done, i would have coughed up another $50 for denso.

Me too, but Denso moved the radiator plant to China as I understand from the feedbacks, Denso boxes are indicating Chinese mfg origin...I have no problem with it
being from there but this Klimoto states similar tech to the old school names at throw away pricing.

Originally Posted by dblshock
in a sense I'm glad it was the radiator and not a head eating the coolant, mine was made after the factory switched gaskets
but I'm always thinking worst case...this Klimoto sells alot of radiators and they regard themselves quite highly stating
they meet or exceed OEM specs..my mechanic said in out climate radiators with plastic tanks aren't long for the world
regardless.

Jah I thought head gasket when I read the title 🤨, glad it's something simpler.

A Radiator isn't a complicated part to manufacture, if it doesn't leak it will work just like any other radiator imo. 26mm appears to be the OEM thickness fyi so no benefit their.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dblshock
this Klimoto sells alot of radiators and they regard themselves quite highly stating
regardless.
I'll bet your mechanic would have spent the extra $50 on the Denso, along with most members here. Cheapest parts only for your Toyota appliance car!

not really all the pullies water pump thermostat serpentine tensioner replacements all Toyota OEM's just not going to get gaga over a OEM radiator that
only went probably 140k before it sprung a leak..(I've been adding dribbles of coolant for a year) .

Last edited:
my mechanic said the Klimoto looked decent and fit perfect like a OEM not bad at all for $53..BTW: mechanic charged $120 labor for Radiatior, serpintine, 2 pullys, tensioner, t.stat, 2 gal super LL toyota coolant and w.pump...parts were close to $500 so $620 out the door...T4R cooling system updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back