Bent- wheel spindle or...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Craftsman 42" riding mower. Model # 917.287220. YS4500.
Front right tire is towed out about 1.5". I've found the part alright, but doubt I'd find these specifics. Used a protractor app to approximate angles. (ignore the app's values) Forgot to add the ~ degrees on the small parts at left in the straight down view of post that attaches to mower. Best I could come up with is the narrower part at top about 28 dgrs. off the larger piece pointing Left.
I'll now watch videos on adjusting toe and camber, but wondered if per CHANCE anyone knew these values, or had an idle right spindle like this (or similar) and could identify a problem there?

4DE4212F-9048-41FD-92D8-3ECB10BD5D8B.jpeg

8EA485C9-CD21-4A71-84E9-E71BB73BEF8C.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, I may have put too much into the images. But I enjoy photo work and using the protractor app. I cropped those 2 images, not sure why the entire images uploaded with the junk at the top?
Watched some Youtubes. Nothing more than DIY fixes. One I had already pondered, but there was another that I liked and didn't involve welding. A couple dealt with "adjusting" a bent drag(?) or steering link. Others were nifty ways to fix or secure the ball joints if worn out. I really never observed any means of adjusting the toe-in on the mower, but checked out the videos anyway.
Today I inspected the 2 link rods more closely. The angles of the bends on each seem to be identical, best I could gather without removing them. The right link still connected at the steering column only. I can't detect any bends that could cause that right heel to be so out of line!
Tomorrow I may swap the Left wheel to the right. Before doing that I'll secure the steering parts with the Left wheel tracking straight ahead. Seems pointless, but what else to do?
In full disclosure, the bushing (?- where you insert the axle) on the right wheel is worn, out of round. However, though the wobble is too much for comfort, it wouldn't allow the wheel to move nearly enough to even get close to tracking straight, with the Left front wheel as perfectly in line with the Left rear wheel as one could hope for.
So do I need a new wheel, or just the inside parts?

Last edited:
Toe-in or toe-out is not a one side problem, it means that the tie rods aren't right. In other words you could say "the right wheel is toed out", but then turn the steering wheel a little and its the left wheel that isn't straight.

Likely you can bend one or both of the tie rods to improve the alignment. Which doesn't have to be perfect on a mower but no vehicle should be toed-out, a little toe-in is better for stability.

For a Toe issue I'd think there is some sort of steering linkage issue.. over bending that beefy piece in that direction.

Was a starter at a golf course and a "patron" hit a rock with the front wheel of a golf cart giving it a significant toe-in.
Some directional force with a 6' pry bar got it back to "good enough".

I think most mowers will have positive camber up front - so I don't see an issue with that.

I would compare to the other spindle it should be a mirror image more or less.

I would think a tie rod would be designed to bend before the spindle. - As in automotive where the LCA is the first yield component.

I sometimes get on a course and push on, forgetting an important thought or action. Wha..? iow, I had thought of the possibility of the Left wheel being off instead, but the Right wheel already had the axle/bushing wear issue.
However I didn't think of spreading the toe-out evenly between the 2 tires, THEN (or first) checking the steering column parts and their alignment. So what if the 2 tires were toed out about 3/4", a bit much?

You want NO toe -out with a slight push outwards on the wheels / assembly;

You also don't want 1/4" play either, 1/8 " might be OK for a mower with worn components.

After much closer inspection and swapping the Left tire to the right, I've decided the Right wheel was the main problem. I replaced the outer bushing on that wheel years back. It's the inside bushing (?) that's worn so bad. Is it also replaceable or do you buy the entire rim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back