Mahindra considering North Carolina for second U.S. plant with 2,000 jobs. 

wemay

Site Donor 2023
https://www.greensboro.com/business...0a84706-f5d6-5552-95e1-d8bdb2bc3505.html

"The plant would include production of mail delivery trucks should Mahindra be awarded the USPS's Next Generation Delivery Vehicle contract," according to a news release from the company. "Mahindra is one of five companies short-listed for the contract award, which is expected to be announced later this year. The plant would also house production for a number of future products that have not been announced publicly. It is projected the plant will create up to 2,000 jobs over the first five years with additional jobs to follow."

Originally Posted by atikovi
Mahindra not exactly a household name in the U.S. Doubt most people knew of their first U.S. plant.

It's actually quite well known. Not only for their automotive division (which is still fairly limited) but they also have 5 assembly plants in the US for their AG products (Houston, Marysville, Chattanooga, Lyons, and Bloomsburg.). In addition to tractors, they also build a very large line of utility vehicles-Retriever and xtv. They also advertise very heavily on the radio.

FCA also filed suit not long ago against Mahindra's Roxor. The design is a copy of the Jeep, right down to the bar grill.

I'm personally not a fan of their products.

Originally Posted by Kira
What is the Rokor off-road Jeep which the article said is made by Mahindra in Auburn Hills?

Screenshot_20190811-091124_Google.jpg

need to be road approved + knock the overpriced underperforming + questionable quality jeeps for a loop!!

Originally Posted by benjy
need to be road approved + knock the overpriced underperforming + questionable quality jeeps for a loop!!

Mahindra would never meet the USA safety standards at that price. It's strictly for off road and farm/ranch use.

I think of how incredibly awful an experience it is to be forced to talk with a call center in India for technical issues. Each time I hear "I know just how you feel," I secretly hope that Pakistan drops a nuke in or around the call center some cheap American company is forcing me to deal with. The idea of being on the receiving end of Indian customer service for an automobile would cause me to take the bus.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Mahindra would never meet the USA safety standards at that price. It's strictly for off road and farm/ranch use.

Doesn't seem like it would take much to get the Roxor to CJ level safety, but those don't come close to meeting current standards any more, either. I bet you could get it registered in some lax state somewhere, though.

Now if they start making mail trucks, those would have to be DOT legal unless the Feds carve out some exemption for them.

About 10 years ago they were going to bring a small diesel truck here. Built up a network of dealerships and then it all fell through.

Two things jump out to me.

1. The US Postal Service should use a US based car maker for their vehicles.

2. The statement "USPS's Next Generation Delivery Vehicle" says to me, no Mahindra tech for a "next gen" vehicle.

Does Mahindra makes reliable vehicles? Or, will snail mail become, tree sap in the middle of winter mail service, as delivery trucks brake down left and right.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
atikovi said:
FCA also filed suit not long ago against Mahindra's Roxor. The design is a copy of the Jeep, right down to the bar grill.

to be fair, They've Been Building Jeeps in India, under License since the mid 1940's... they were pretty much just a steel company until they got the license from Willys.

Last edited:
Older thread but their jeeps and utility vehicles have a rep for bulletproof engines and pretty decent (in parts, so-so in others) build quality in India, South Africa and Australia - their major overseas markets. An excellent and capable 2.2 liter turbo diesel they call the mHawk (originally sourced from AVL of Austria), mated to a 5 speed manual make sure that this is incredibly popular in India. I drive one personally and it pulls like a train. Excellent highway cruiser if you're ok with a basic ladder on frame truck type SUV. Back on topic to an oil forum it uses a Valvoline produced oil called Maximile Feo for which they haven't produced specs, but recommend Valvoline Synpower MST (5w30 ACEA C3) as an alternative.

Reviews here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/157090-mahindra-scorpio-official-review.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Mahindra not exactly a household name in the U.S. Doubt most people knew of their first U.S. plant.

Out here in the hinter land they are very well known. And have been for a good number of years.

Originally Posted by dblshock
lot of SXS sold here in the north.

Yep here too! And tractors by the train load.

Back