PUP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I changed to PUP recently after using PP for many many OCs and will say I get now what all the hype was about, smooooth and quiet.
I love that oil so far.

Before and after accelerometer and sound meter readings or it didn't happen.

In God We Trust
All Others Bring Data

Originally Posted by nascarnation

In God We Trust
All Others Bring Data

Well his testimony is just as accurate as motor oil brand A is better than brand B even though both meet the same specs.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by nascarnation

In God We Trust
All Others Bring Data

Well his testimony is just as accurate as motor oil brand A is better than brand B even though both meet the same specs.

Don't forget the how smooth it pours out of bottle test.

PUP was not quieter for me (with db meter) and a pain to find - so moved on to things I can grab at WM … doubt it can actually outperform PP in most applications

Originally Posted by 4WD
PUP was not quieter for me (with db meter) and a pain to find - so moved on to things I can grab at WM … doubt it can actually outperform PP in most applications

Interestingly enough I was disappointed for first couple of days after oil change as I didn't notice any difference, it changed after I put about 150 miles on the oil.
I got oi on sale at Canadian Tire at cad$32 for 5 L and also submitted MIR for another cad$10, well makes it about cad$26 after taxes to my door or under us$20.

I have a GDI engine and switched to PP because PUP is not Dexos1 Gen2 rated. I think after existing supplies are exhausted, Sopus will pull the plug on PUP.

I don't think so, they have a relationship with FCA and 0w40 PUP is srt oil. It would be shocking if they pull the plug since PP doesn't even have a 0w40.

Originally Posted by turnbowm
I have a GDI engine and switched to PP because PUP is not Dexos1 Gen2 rated. I think after existing supplies are exhausted, Sopus will pull the plug on PUP.

It is an SN Plus oil, that's all I need for my GDI engine
laugh.gif

I totally disagree SOPUS would discontinue PUP.
Killing off PUP - their top marketed in NA oil , would downgrade Pennzoil brand in consumers' eyes to value brands and thus causing losing battle with M1, Castrol and Valvoline. Then they'd lose market share and profit.

It wasrecently reformulated to be SN+ so it will do fine in your gdi and it's not going anywhere.

But PUP certainly could be considered a massive failure, the market place just didn't buy into it. Hard sell when it is the same GtL base oil as PP, with a little tweak here and there. The srt does carry heavy Moly for the hemi as FCA decided that high moy was a good idea for their failing cam issue. But the only other selling point except that one formula which they don't even promote the higher moly, the masses just don't want to spend extra money on it. No brick and morter carries in this town of 50,000 people, but PP is everywhere. It's a great chice for the hemi and historically one of the lowest if not the lowest wear numbers out there, but simply put the stuff don't sell.

Originally Posted by jbutch

It wasrecently reformulated to be SN+ so it will do fine in your gdi and it's not going anywhere.

PUP with SN+ rating does provide LSPI protection but a Dexos1 Gen2 oil also offers reduced timing chain wear (stretch). Time will tell how long PUP remains on the market.

Most importantly, how many horsepower did PUP add to your engine? ...‚
Nice deal on the oil though.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Why doesn't SOPUS pursue D1 / Gen 2 approval for PUP ?

I have read, since GM charges 6 cents per jug, that Pennzoil refused to pay that to have that D1G2 designation on their bottles.

I have no idea how true that is so don't shoot the messanger.

Recently, and since I had one 5 Ltr jug of PUP 5W-30 in my personal stash, I decided to use it in my son's 08 Malibu with the 2.4 Ecotec engine and couldn't believe how quiet it ran after firing it back up.

I know some will say this is bunk, and that is fine, but I definitely noticed a difference as did my son when he took it for a drive a few hours later. The previous fill only had 5,000 kms (3,000 miles) on it so it wasn't like the previous fill was worn out and the reason why the engine was slightly nosier prior to the OC. The previous fill was PP 5W-30.

Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Why doesn't SOPUS pursue D1 / Gen 2 approval for PUP ?

I have read, since GM charges 6 cents per jug, that Pennzoil refused to pay that to have that D1G2 designation on their bottles....

That makes no sense. PZ has no problem paying GM for PP certification.

Just switch to RGT - same bottle but red manlier design, it has a truck image on it as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back