Eco boost shudder,then loss of power

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the o2 sensors are gettind water and some oil on them? No coolant has been added ever,we thought it was a leak but were told none existed.my wife drives this truck,she might have seen ac condensate,i believe. Cooling system was flushed in april at there directive. Think they were just searching for work to wrap around the warranty work that was done. Not much faith in their expertise and diagnostic ability at this point. Can t alter anything ,warranty and the misdiagnostic challenge are comprised.

It's an oil vapor/condensed water/combustion mix, similar to what "catch cans" accumulate and ends up pooling in the bottom of the intercooler. In the 2011 to 2014 trucks the outlet of the intercooler sits above the low point of the intercooler itself and it tends to accumulate. When you go open throttle, it gulps a bunch of that through the system and causes stumbling.

With EPA requirements, Ford can't engineer a hole in the intercooler itself to weep this fluid, but for the 2015 and up trucks, the outlet pipe sits at lower and the intercooler never accumulates this quantity of fluid. In the past, Volvo and others have had a hole in the bottom of the intercooler for exactly this purpose as it's a known issue.

My 2016 has a 1/16" hole in the low point of the intercooler, which I drilled when I brought it home, new, from the dealer and it still evacuates a small amount of gunk onto my garage floor. Has no effect on driveability (25k miles with the hole drilled now) as the intercooler is always under some pressure and the hole is tiny.

I work the truck hard in the Rockies and Cascades:

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Three words: get a lawyer.

I agree with Norman's advice. You qualify under the "Lemon Law" in most states if you have documented proof you have given the dealer 3 times to fix the same problem without success.
Negative, the OP has a 2014. 5 year old vehicles do not qualify for lemon law buybacks.
Going the legal route on this issue is going to be an exercise in futility (and costly). If the problem can't be solved, the only reasonable solution would be to get rid of the vehicle and get something else.

Just giving you the code interpretation. I asked about adding coolant because, that is an indicator of a cracked head, head gasket or cracked engine block. I would hope the clowns working on your truck would have taken a look at the plugs for moisture fouling, when they changed them. It may be time to find a different dealership to work on your truck. Or, you can unload it for something else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123
5 year old vehicles do not qualify for lemon law buybacks.

If he has had this issue since the first year or so it might. I'm not sure, but depending on the state, and how the law is written, the clock starts with the first encounter with the problem. I don't know when that was in the OP's case.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by wag123
5 year old vehicles do not qualify for lemon law buybacks.

If he has had this issue since the first year or so it might. I'm not sure, but depending on the state, and how the law is written, the clock starts with the first encounter with the problem. I don't know when that was in the OP's case.
In many states the statute of limitations for a lemon law claim is 24 months or 24000 miles from the date of first use. In some states it is only 1 year, in Maine it is 3 years (but only 18k miles), which is the longest time limit. In LA it is only 1 year. In all states the clock starts on the date of first use, not on the date of the first encounter with the problem.
https://www.encyclopedia.com/social-sciences-and-law/law/law/lemon-laws

That is probably exactly what i should do, wife has said this 🙄as well.my thought was don t give to many cooks in the kitchen.

Well bought used in 2018 feb,first had issues in december 2018. They claimed to be unable to replicate and we drove truck with no problems until march of 2019. The warranty has come and gone,but their is a carfax trail my wife found the other night.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by oldhp
Not oil. Water. It condenses in the intercooler and then a big gulp goes thru the TB causing misfire, stalling etc.

Not according to this vid.
When he starts the engine, you can clearly see oil coming out of the hole.
Go to 3:37
"See the oil come out, There's a little bit every time he starts the engine"

He clearly states that it's "oil" under the vehicle. All over the underside of the intercooler and the splash area.

So with all this technological advancements, we're now instructed to make mods to our vehicles to further pollute the environment just so they can run normally.

Boy, I've clearly been doing things wrong.
shocked2.gif
[/quote]

My bad........Mind somewhere else. Oil? IDK???

Originally Posted by wog
Well bought used in 2018 feb,first had issues in december 2018. They claimed to be unable to replicate and we drove truck with no problems until march of 2019. The warranty has come and gone,but their is a carfax trail my wife found the other night.

Under the circumstances I would at least consult an attorney. It could well be worth an hour of his time. Ask to explain your situation over the phone to a paralegal before you set up an appointment. If it's obvious you don't qualify, they will tell you that over the phone. Or at least should. If and when you go bring every piece of paperwork you have concerning the problem. With something like this documentation is everything. It will only cost you a small percentage of what it will to continue down the non productive road you've been going down.

Drill the darned hole and be done with that problem. Period!!!!

To the uninformed here, many turbocharged vehicles have a blow off valve, or pop off valve that relieves AIR PRESSURE upon sudden close of the throttle. In years past, this was at the bottom of the system to allow any moisture accumulation to exit.

Today, designs are different and moisture accumulation can be a problem. The fix is simple, effective, has ZERO downside and will make the owner happy.

Also of note, the EB engines are spark plug sensitive.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Drill the darned hole and be done with that problem. Period!!!!

To the uninformed here, many turbocharged vehicles have a blow off valve, or pop off valve that relieves AIR PRESSURE upon sudden close of the throttle. In years past, this was at the bottom of the system to allow any moisture accumulation to exit.

Today, designs are different and moisture accumulation can be a problem. The fix is simple, effective, has ZERO downside and will make the owner happy.

Also of note, the EB engines are spark plug sensitive.

+1 on this. It's a simple fix that does wonders. Plus it has zero effect on performance and as long as you don't tell Ford they will not be aware of it.

Also as cujet said plugs every 30k no matter what the manual says. Use the motorcraft ones. Plugs are not that hard to change on this engine. I have had a few eb and this is the routine to follow.

Last edited:
Plugs are a normal maintenance job, but the codes also mention o2 sensors being bad, they did not take them out when they worked on it the 2nd time.they seem to look for ways to go around the warranty covered work. Just got a mailing from them offering 24.5k for truck,seems they didn t tell sales truck is in the building. 2014 crew cab platinum ,should be worth more,60k mileage. Games on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back