ACEA A5 or above.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
No. A turbo oil would probably be A3.

From the OP:

Originally Posted by 2003f7
the owners manual specs ACEA A5 or above for the 1.6 turbo

They are looking at it like we do with API. They spec A5 knowing in a couple of years it will be upgraded.

They don't know how the ACEA works. ACEA specs are always considered current. When A5 is upgraded, as it is periodically, it's still A5. Oil companies are expected to only claim specifications for the latest, current ACEA sequence, with a grace period allowed for switchover. A5/B5 has been updated since many of these manuals were printed, but it's still A5/B5.

Originally Posted by Garak
They are looking at it like we do with API. They spec A5 knowing in a couple of years it will be upgraded.

They don't know how the ACEA works. ACEA specs are always considered current. When A5 is upgraded, as it is periodically, it's still A5. Oil companies are expected to only claim specifications for the latest, current ACEA sequence, with a grace period allowed for switchover. A5/B5 has been updated since many of these manuals were printed, but it's still A5/B5.

Agree with this.

Just checked the manual online - not only it says 5w30 A5 or above for 1.6t, it also has this "SAE 5W-20 (API SM / ILSAC GF-4 / ACEAA5 or above)" where GF-4 and SM are outdated specs.
I really think they mean more like "this or newer" and in case of A5 it stays the same, but we do have SN plus and GF5 (GF6 is coming)
OP, use any name brand synthetic 5w30 and you'll be alright, don't overthink

Screenshot 2019-08-10 23.03.03.png

Thanks for posting that pic, SlavaB. It clarifies a lot.

So, assuming there's no other important info in the stuff that has been cropped out -- which is a massive assumption -- it seems to be saying ACEA and API specs are only recommendations in case you want to go for the best possible fuel economy.

The difference in those recommendations is not surprising for turbo vs. NA. Turbo means more heat, so the minimum viscosity is higher -- 5W-30, vs. 5W-20 for the NA engines.

It looks to me like:

1. They think ACEA A5 is the ideal spec for all their engines;
2. They also validated API SM oils in a lower viscosity for their NA engines to give people more options, but didn't bother for the turbo engine because they feel it should run at least a 5W-30 and ACEA A5 5W-30s are everywhere; and
3. They're pretty sure their engines will run acceptably with just about any decent remotely-modern oil on the market, as long as it's in one of those viscosity grades.

So yeah, if you're using Mobil 1 5W-30, you're doing the right thing.

Originally Posted by wemay

Agree with this.

I agree with the upgrading of the ACEA oils without changing the designation since I have been following the ACEA specs for a while. But, this is what I get for trying to read the manufacturers minds and "assuming" why they stated "or above"!

When I saw question: ACEA A5 or above, I knew it it is Hyundai customer before looking at post.
Someone needs to tell these "engineers" in Hyundai there is NO SUCH THING as ACEA A5 and above.

Last edited:
I agree with the upgrading of the ACEA oils without changing the designation since I have been following the ACEA specs for a while. But, this is what I get for trying to read the manufacturers minds and "assuming" why they stated "or above"!

Never try to read the minds of those who lack the understanding the first place.
wink.gif

edyvw puts it correctly. No one at Hyundai can go to the ACEA site and spend a few minutes reading up on this? Perhaps automakers that want to have ties with a lubricant company should let said lubricant company write the part of the manual about choosing lubricants.

Never try to read the minds of those who lack the understanding the first place.
wink.gif

edyvw puts it correctly. No one at Hyundai can go to the ACEA site and spend a few minutes reading up on this? Perhaps automakers that want to have ties with a lubricant company should let said lubricant company write the part of the manual about choosing lubricants.

What's even more puzzling is they've had said relationship with SHELL for over 10 years.
21.gif

I guess the silver lining is that they allow owners to use more than one viscosity.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
It also says, "These Oils are unsuitable for use in certain Engines." Does anyone know any examples of gasoline engines and/or why? Just curious.

Gas engines in Europe have been burning ULSG for almost a decade and now contain a particulate filter similar to the DPF in for a diesel. My two cents.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Just bought a used Elantra Sport with a higher output version of that engine and the owners manual is confusing.
What is above ACEA A5? My guess is ACEA A3 since Hyundai allows a 5W40 in these engines.
I put Pennzoil platinum 5W30 which listed ACEA A5 on the jug.

If you searched the Elantra Sport or Veloster Turbo user group on Facebook, they all recommended 5W40 for our 1.6T for better protection. Also there was a TSB already released by Hyundai mentioned about it.
I have also switched from the Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 to Motul X-Clean 5W40.recently.

Originally Posted by Petabytes
Originally Posted by skyactiv
Just bought a used Elantra Sport with a higher output version of that engine and the owners manual is confusing.
What is above ACEA A5? My guess is ACEA A3 since Hyundai allows a 5W40 in these engines.
I put Pennzoil platinum 5W30 which listed ACEA A5 on the jug.

If you searched the Elantra Sport or Veloster Turbo user group on Facebook, they all recommended 5W40 for our 1.6T for better protection. Also there was a TSB already released by Hyundai mentioned about it.
I have also switched from the Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 to Motul X-Clean 5W40.recently.

There is no Hyundai issued TSB requiring owners to use 5W40.

Originally Posted by dave1251
If you want further confusion DEXOS 1 Generation 2 is basically the ACEA A5 spec.

are you sure?
tnx

It also says, "These Oils are unsuitable for use in certain Engines." Does anyone know any examples of gasoline engines and/or why? Just curious.

Another easy example is to think of diesel. A 5w-30 A5/B5 is technically suitable for certain diesel engines. I wouldn't be rushing to use it in a dexos2 diesel application or a Cummins, either.

wemay: It seems to be an industry wide issue of these manuals trying to cover every bit of legalese to the point that they're not saying anything useful.

Another easy example is to think of diesel. A 5w-30 A5/B5 is technically suitable for certain diesel engines. I wouldn't be rushing to use it in a dexos2 diesel application or a Cummins, either.

wemay: It seems to be an industry wide issue of these manuals trying to cover every bit of legalese to the point that they're not saying anything useful.

33.gif
01.gif

Originally Posted by avi1777
Originally Posted by dave1251
If you want further confusion DEXOS 1 Generation 2 is basically the ACEA A5 spec.

are you sure?
tnx

A5 doesn't cover LSPI resistance at all, that will be covered with A7/B7 (and C6).
d1G2 was the first major oil spec to address LSPI.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Since this is turbo, OP should forget ACEA A5 or API SN+ and just use ACEA A3 or C3 5W30.

and for a nonturbo but high compression 14.1 the a5 is sufficient?
tnx

Back